PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Cyberpunk Red Character Help Requested

Ravens_cry
2023-06-10, 05:32 PM
Hi, folks! Been sometime since I showed up in these here parts. Anywho, the reason I arrived is because I need help.
A friend is running a Cyberpunk Red campaign, and while I have a fairly firm concept in mind, a battle dancer kind of figure, fast and slashy, a blender on legs, GM recommended a Solo, who is into cybernetics as artistry and an expression of transhumanism and is somewhat begrudgingly using them to take messy jobs to pay off her debt in post-surgery therapy fees, there's just so much to choose, it's overwhelming, and I really have no idea what will synergize well with my concept. Would like to have room for some non-combat as well, like, say, a skilled dancer and artist.
We have access to the core book and Black Chrome and Level 1 Heroic for character building points and I can go into debt for therapy fees but not for parts and gear.

One Step Two
2023-06-11, 09:09 PM
The concept sounds great!

First check whether you're playing as a Minor Hero or Major Hero, as that does affect the total points your character can spend

But that said stats as a Priority for a Battle Dancer would be Dex which will dictate your too-hit rolls and evading in combat, and your Dancing Skill for out of combat; Move, so you can weave in and out of fights. Body and Will are always important as they represent your resilience physically and mentally. Reflexes is your ranged attack rolls, so if you want to fling daggers it's good to have that to. Int and Tech are somewhat lower priority, and Luck is as vital as you choose to be, but I've never known anyone to use it as a dump stat. With a Stat cap of 8 (before cyberware) even 75 points for a Minor hero will cover your bases really well.

The next hardest part will be of course gearing up you only get 2550eb to spend if you want to customize your gear and cyberwear. A neural link with either Kerenzikov or Sandevistan speed boost are all the rage, and a tactile boost to feel people coming can be vital. Your pick of weapon is the next biggest purchase. For a battle-dance, you could use a Slice n' Dice monofilament whip inserted into your hands, or do you see yourself using a katana? Wolverine claws? Those and others are on the table.

And of course armor, never skip armor! I recommend a Light Armorjack body and head covering, talk to your DM about if you can apply the fashion rules (page 102) to your armor so it blends into your gear. Otherwise, Subdermal plating and some nice clothes will do the trick!

Ravens_cry
2023-06-12, 06:03 PM
The concept sounds great!

First check whether you're playing as a Minor Hero or Major Hero, as that does affect the total points your character can spend

But that said stats as a Priority for a Battle Dancer would be Dex which will dictate your too-hit rolls and evading in combat, and your Dancing Skill for out of combat; Move, so you can weave in and out of fights. Body and Will are always important as they represent your resilience physically and mentally. Reflexes is your ranged attack rolls, so if you want to fling daggers it's good to have that to. Int and Tech are somewhat lower priority, and Luck is as vital as you choose to be, but I've never known anyone to use it as a dump stat. With a Stat cap of 8 (before cyberware) even 75 points for a Minor hero will cover your bases really well.

The next hardest part will be of course gearing up you only get 2550eb to spend if you want to customize your gear and cyberwear. A neural link with either Kerenzikov or Sandevistan speed boost are all the rage, and a tactile boost to feel people coming can be vital. Your pick of weapon is the next biggest purchase. For a battle-dance, you could use a Slice n' Dice monofilament whip inserted into your hands, or do you see yourself using a katana? Wolverine claws? Those and others are on the table.

And of course armor, never skip armor! I recommend a Light Armorjack body and head covering, talk to your DM about if you can apply the fashion rules (page 102) to your armor so it blends into your gear. Otherwise, Subdermal plating and some nice clothes will do the trick!
Thanks for the advice, very much helped consolidate my brain's thoughts, thank you :smallbiggrin: