PDA

View Full Version : Game Reccomandations

Istari
2007-12-06, 08:05 AM
With the Cristmas season coming up I was wondering if you playgrounders had any good game reccomdations for me. I have a GBA and a farily new computer (about a year old).

Archonic Energy
2007-12-06, 08:08 AM
that's a bit vauge there.....

what types of games do you enjoy?

Istari
2007-12-06, 08:19 AM
Yeah I wasn't very specific :smallredface:

I enjoy fantasy, RPGs, Stratagy, and to a lesser extend sci-fi.
But I will play most games those are just my favorites.

A Rainy Knight
2007-12-06, 08:22 AM
I'd say Advance Wars or Advance Wars 2 for the GBA. The other Advance Wars games are for the DS, I think. It's a strategy game. Here's a screenshot.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/GBA_Advance_Wars.png
Basically you pick a map (you can also create your own), pick a Commanding Officer, and lead your troops across the field of battle and try to destroy the enemy army or seize their HQ in turn-based combat. I couldn't get enough of it.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-06, 08:29 AM
For a PC: RPG aspect, I'd say any of the Morrowind games (elder Scrolls 1-4)

And Startegy for the PC, would be Europa Universalis III... If you have enough Video RAM... its a great game

Reinboom
2007-12-06, 08:37 AM
(Gameboy Advance)

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / The Four Swords
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Final Fantasy Remakes
Golden Sun
Golden Sun : The Lost Age
Lufia
Pokemon (Fire Red or Leaf Green is recommended, personally)
Tactics Ogre

Castaras
2007-12-06, 08:44 AM
Any of the Might and Magics and Heroes of Might and Magic are cool. :smallsmile:

Spellforce 1 and 2 are good as well...(At least, 1 is. Getting 2 for Christmas. :smallbiggrin: )

Archonic Energy
2007-12-06, 08:48 AM
I enjoy fantasy, RPGs, Stratagy, and to a lesser extend sci-fi.
But I will play most games those are just my favorites.
OK.
i'm going to suggest Warcraft III (if you don't already have it)
which combines 2 of your 3 main choices (Fantasy & Stratagy) and adds a little bit of the third(RPG) but not alot
the plot can be a bit transparent at times though
or Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for Fantasy & RPG
or fantast action as some people think of it
also since you're on this board i'd suggest NWN or NWN2 for D&D based fun
also those games allow you to download user created dungeons & quests so there's quite alot of re-playability there
Go team Wizard
finally. i'll recommend Planescape:Torment.
for no better reason than Everyone should recomend this game to anyone who asks.
good luck finding it though
i've got a DS so i'm not much help with your GBA. hopefully someone else can make some recomendations there

Istari
2007-12-06, 09:31 AM
I'd say Advance Wars or Advance Wars 2 for the GBA. The other Advance Wars games are for the DS, I think. It's a strategy game. Here's a screenshot.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/GBA_Advance_Wars.png
Basically you pick a map (you can also create your own), pick a Commanding Officer, and lead your troops across the field of battle and try to destroy the enemy army or seize their HQ in turn-based combat. I couldn't get enough of it.

I actullay looked at that already and am probably getting it.:smallbiggrin:

Myatar_Panwar
2007-12-06, 09:56 AM
I'm gonna suggest Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords. I believe you can get it for the PC for twenty bucks. Its essentially a puzzle-ish game with an RPG element.

Combat in Puzzle Quest is basically matching colored pieces into lines of 3 or more (if that makes sense) and by doing this you can do damage to your enemy or get mana (in a way). There are 4 different types of mana: earth, fire, water, and air. Your class gives you "special moves" or spells that use the mana u get. And each class generally uses 1 or two types of energy the most (as a fighter, you use alot of fire and earth).

I think you can download a demo of it here: http://www.infinite-interactive.com/puzzlequest/

But be warned: It is HIGHLY addictive. You will find yourself trying to forge that ledgendary weapon or item for HOURS :biggrin:

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-12-06, 10:03 AM
If you like D&D, then I heartily reccomend Neverwinter Nights 2 and it's expansion, Mask of the Betrayer. The game is fine by itself, but the expansion is what truly makes it awesome. Great story, great character customization, great replay value, great game. Period.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-06, 10:58 AM
If you like D&D, then I heartily reccomend Neverwinter Nights 2 and it's expansion, Mask of the Betrayer. The game is fine by itself, but the expansion is what truly makes it awesome. Great story, great character customization, great replay value, great game. Period.

I can say that I don't like Neverwinter Nights 2 at all. I got sick of the camera and rediculous reliance on health potions. The character customisation is okay but I can't define any game where I waste half an hour trying to work out how to perform the non-default actions as "good". The story is wasted if it's too hard to play through and it felt like too much of a rehash of other plots from what I got to see of it before I got mad at it and gave up.

Golden Sun, Fire Emblem and Pokemon Green or Red are probably the Gameboy Advanced RPGs I'd recomend. At least they're playable and the stories are okay, and even the low plot Pokemon games at least feel like an adventure.

If you already have one Pokemon game you don't need another though.

SITB
2007-12-06, 11:37 AM
Since Planescape: Torment has already been mentioned, I'd suggest Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php) (Free download site, since the game is now freeware).

It's a quasi-old space shooter combined with an Action adventure (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActionAdventure); a good summation can be found here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StarControl).

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-12-06, 11:43 AM
I can say that I don't like Neverwinter Nights 2 at all. I got sick of the camera and rediculous reliance on health potions. The character customisation is okay but I can't define any game where I waste half an hour trying to work out how to perform the non-default actions as "good". The story is wasted if it's too hard to play through and it felt like too much of a rehash of other plots from what I got to see of it before I got mad at it and gave up.

I still don't understand what's wrong with the camera in the game. It seems to work okay to me, and at least the game doesn't rely on health potions as much as, say Titan Quest, where you're chugging health potions every couple of seconds to stay alive during battles. Now that's ridiculous!

And as to the derivativeness of the plot, I say that everything out there is derivative of something else. Name a game and I can probably tell you what plots it derives from.

Xefas
2007-12-06, 12:11 PM
And as to the derivativeness of the plot, I say that everything out there is derivative of something else. Name a game and I can probably tell you what plots it derives from.

The plot of your post is totally just a retelling of the plot in one of Fax Celestis' posts, only with different characters and setting.

Also, get/give the gift of Wesnoth this Christmas. It's entirely free and even more than entirely awesome. It's like 9/8ths awesome in there. Wesnoth! (http://www.wesnoth.org/)

(Turn based strategy/fantasy)

Semidi
2007-12-06, 12:25 PM
PC games

Portal. I recommend Portal to everyone. It's only moral.

RPG games:
Baldur's Gate series
Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines (Not great, but it's OK)
Fallout 1/2
Knights of the Old Republic 1/2

RTS games:
Warcraft III, Starcraft, and Age of Mythology are all cool.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-12-06, 01:26 PM
In my opinion, Baldur's Gate is only entertaining if you understand it. Having learned the D&D game with 3rd Edition rules, and the game having no tutorial or even an instruction manual has made me shelve it. I'd have to learn the entire 2nd Edition system before I could consider myself ready to play it!:smallfrown:

Reinboom
2007-12-06, 01:45 PM
In my opinion, Baldur's Gate is only entertaining if you understand it. Having learned the D&D game with 3rd Edition rules, and the game having no tutorial or even an instruction manual has made me shelve it. I'd have to learn the entire 2nd Edition system before I could consider myself ready to play it!:smallfrown:

Really, the only major issue is that AC and THAC0 (unlike AC and BAB in 3) is better in negatives.

Oh, and stats don't usually matter much until they surpass 14, depending on the stat.
Also, Charisma sucks. (and the sorcerer is int based)
And then a couple small things (such as haste fatiguing you)

The rest is pretty explanatory by just reading things such as the item descriptions.

Yami
2007-12-06, 02:48 PM
Hmm, first I must second a few suggestions already made.

If they did port Tactics Ogre to the GBA, grab it.
Portal is another must.
the Fallout series is good postapocolyptic fun.
Wesnoth, the price is right! and it's better 'n many a store bought game too.

Now, as for PC strategy games, I suggest The Total War series. Rome is a classic I'm still playing and Medieval II should run on a fairly fresh system. The older ones are still good, but don't really do anything newer versions don't.

I warn you though, it might ruin you for other Strategy games. I found it that good.

Now, onto RPG's. Anacronox is a great PC game that you should really give a shot.

Woot Spitum
2007-12-06, 03:25 PM
Warhammer 40,000:Dawn of War and its two expansions for the PC, Mario&Luigi: Superstar Saga for the GBA.

Om
2007-12-06, 03:30 PM
If you like strategy, and have an interest in history, then I highly recommend any of the Paradox Interactive grand strategy games. Try Crusader Kings (1066-1453), EUIII (1453-1820), Victoria (1836-1936), or Hearts of Iron II (1936-1953)

In my opinion, Baldur's Gate is only entertaining if you understand it. Having learned the D&D game with 3rd Edition rules, and the game having no tutorial or even an instruction manual has made me shelve it. I'd have to learn the entire 2nd Edition system before I could consider myself ready to play it!:smallfrown:I had no problems at all with the game and I was a complete DnD novice. Its easy - low THAC0 and AC is good.