PDA

View Full Version : Spell Combo

Pex
2023-06-11, 11:43 PM
Is it possible to use Illusory Script with Skywrite so that only the intended recipient can read the message in the sky?

JNAProductions
2023-06-11, 11:57 PM
Is it possible to use Illusory Script with Skywrite so that only the intended recipient can read the message in the sky?

RAW, no.
You need to touch the writing surface.

Would I allow it? Probably not.

No brains
2023-06-12, 07:10 AM
What if we add a little Fly spell to the recipe? Alternately, could we 'touch' the sky writing if we had a column of smoke, steam, dust or another particulate coming up from the ground to our sky-writing?

Unoriginal
2023-06-12, 07:58 AM
What if we add a little Fly spell to the recipe? Alternately, could we 'touch' the sky writing if we had a column of smoke, steam, dust or another particulate coming up from the ground to our sky-writing?

Illusory Script mentions "You write on parchment, paper, or some other suitable writing material", so I would say that it doesn't work.

Note that both the hidden message and the hidding text are magical projections, with Illusory Script, as both disappear Dispel Magic is used.

If a player wanted for their PC to invent "Illusory Skywrite", it could be fun, though.

LudicSavant
2023-06-12, 08:09 AM

I could see ruling that Skywrite effectively renders the sky a "suitable writing material" for the purposes of Illusory Script.

Gotta fly up to touch the writing surface, though.

Unoriginal
2023-06-12, 08:20 AM
I could see ruling that Skywrite effectively renders the sky a "suitable writing material" for the purposes of Illusory Script.

I believe wizards can fly, but I don't believe they can touch the sky.

LudicSavant
2023-06-12, 08:27 AM
I believe wizards can fly, but I don't believe they can touch the sky.

Well that just makes the song no fun.

Pex
2023-06-12, 10:35 AM

The character I have in mind to do this can fly.

I'm biased in wanting it to work, but I have difficulty see it in RAW. Others are tending to agree. Definitely in Rule of Cool. As usual I'll need to ask the DM, but he appreciates my knowledge of the rules. This stumped me.

Hurrashane
2023-06-12, 10:42 AM
If a player wanted for their PC to invent "Illusory Skywrite", it could be fun, though.

Good way to make someone think they're going crazy. Writing messages in the sky to them that no one else can perceive.

"I'm not crazy, I'm telling you it was written in the sky!"

"Suuuure, buddy. Sure."

KorvinStarmast
2023-06-12, 12:13 PM
I believe wizards can fly, but I don't believe they can touch the sky. Jimi Hendrix could kiss the sky, and there are those who claim that his guitar work was akin to wizardry ... :smallsmile:

No brains
2023-06-12, 01:45 PM
I suppose 'sky-touching' is setting-dependent. In RL physics, anybody touching the gases that make up the atmosphere could count as 'touching the sky'. Arguments could then be made for different layers of atmosphere that have clouds in them counting as the applicable version of the sky. In a classical-greek-inspired setting, the sky is a separate thing from the air that can be flown through, but being held up by a titan doubtlessly makes it something one can touch.

Can iron heart surge be used to end touching the sky?

Chronos
2023-06-13, 06:41 AM
I would rule that you can, for three reasons:

1: The Skywrite spell renders the sky "a suitable writing surface".

2: Rule of Cool

3: Skywrite and Illusory Script are both pretty close to useless, and so anything that makes both of them more useful is good.

Hiro Quester
2023-06-13, 03:09 PM

3: Skywrite and Illusory Script are both pretty close to useless, and so anything that makes both of them more useful is good.

I agree with all 3 points here. Especially 3. Illusory script and Skywrite are rarely useful, so making them useful in this cool way can make knowing these spells somewhat useful and cool in combination.

OF course, you do risk that a random NPC with truesight running can also see the message, which could add cool unanticipated effects, too.

Quietus
2023-06-14, 03:24 PM

Was going to post pretty much exactly this. Rule of cool I would allow it.