PDA

View Full Version : OneD&D Invocations

Warlock'sFriend
2023-06-12, 10:05 AM
So with the move away from pact magic for the ua warlock, and with the pact boon, eldritch blast, and hex being the starting kit for them, it feels like the natural answer to their lack of identity and power in later levels is to lean into invocations and completely revisit what we currently have.

That being said, what invocations have to be done away with in the warlock structure and which ones need a power boost like Gaze of Two Minds?

Melil12
2023-06-12, 10:10 AM
The issue I found was they are mostly lack luster when compared to Mystic Arcanum.

Hurrashane
2023-06-12, 10:38 AM
The issue I found was they are mostly lack luster when compared to Mystic Arcanum.

Same.

If they want the warlock to flourish as a half caster it needs more options for the non-caster half. Having an extra attack and a little damage on top of that isn't quite sufficient.

If they want to keep Mystic Arcanum as an invocation it needs some stiff competition or it might as well go back to being a class feature.

Melil12
2023-06-12, 11:12 AM
Same.

If they want the warlock to flourish as a half caster it needs more options for the non-caster half. Having an extra attack and a little damage on top of that isn't quite sufficient.

If they want to keep Mystic Arcanum as an invocation it needs some stiff competition or it might as well go back to being a class feature.

Even deeper in that train of thought … why would I ever use blade pact as a 1-20 warlock?

The best it will ever really get is 1d8+5x2
(Leaving hex or other spells out for now)

EB beats that just off the dmg dice alone.

And if I really wanted it to work I could pick up Tome lock and utilize the melee cantrips to put pace it.

Hurrashane
2023-06-12, 11:29 AM
Even deeper in that train of thought … why would I ever use blade pact as a 1-20 warlock?

The best it will ever really get is 1d8+5x2
(Leaving hex or other spells out for now)

EB beats that just off the dmg dice alone.

And if I really wanted it to work I could pick up Tome lock and utilize the melee cantrips to put pace it.

Best it gets is (1d8+1d6+5)x2 with healing on the first hit. Thanks to Lifedrinker at 9th.

But beyond that, there's not much for a melee lock past 9th except possibly some defensive spells. Probably better at this time to go fighter, rogue, paladin, bard or maybe bladesinger past 9th. The class definitely needs some more pact of the blade focused invocations.

Warlock'sFriend
2023-06-12, 12:29 PM

I agree. It's my opinion that Mystic Arcanum should be the least powerful option of invocation at any level, since its usefulness comes from offering variety of choice. I don't think that saying "a core class feature should be more powerful than a once a day spell that other classes can use multiple times" is too much of an overpowered take, but WotC always seems so nervous about giving warlocks anything too useful just in case it puts them on par with the wizard.

diplomancer
2023-06-12, 01:31 PM
I sincerely hope that the One Warlock will be heavily revised before publication; but, as it is, I disagree with those who suggest getting Mystic Arcanums for spell levels 3 to 5. Specially for level 3. The best level 3 spells are quite powerful, but they all have weaknesses. Which is not a big deal when you can pick which spell to use from a small list. But when you only have that one spell for the entire level, you're in no way assured to be able to use it every day.

Unless you pick a less powerful but more generally applicable spell, like Slow or Haste. But is a once/day casting of Slow or Haste better than something like Gaze of Two Minds? Not even close, I believe.

Once you get to the Major Arcanums (spells level 6-9), things get different, it's easier to choose spells you are going to use regularly.