PDA

View Full Version : SyncThing for transferring files over the internet

crayzz
2023-06-13, 05:16 PM
The original thread is dead, however to suggest good software and to respond to this concern:

At this point, shouldn't there be a way to directly transfer any size of file to a friend over the internet that is well known enough to be a household name? Most of the easy ways require both people to have a free account of some sort, and most of those upload the file to a server so the other can download it. That not only seems inefficient, it also raises privacy concerns. The ones that don't require an account or an upload are old school programs and require a specialized download of some sort, which is a non-starter for my less technical friends.

This seems like something that would have been solved with a household-name solution a long time ago. I would have thought there would be a protocol as well-known as email for one-time point-to-point file transfers that every OS would have its own well-known implementation of?

It's true that this sort of thing is nontrivial, however one option I've just learn about is SyncThing (https://syncthing.net/), designed for syncing folders across multiple devices using P2P, so no relying on a middleman. There is currently no way to use it on iOS from what I can tell, and the tool itself is a command line tool, but there are integrated GUIs available for android, windows, linux, and macOS, which covers a lot of ground. No file size restrictions, no file type restrictions, no signups required.