PDA

View Full Version : Armor and Speed

carrdrivesyou
2023-06-14, 03:51 PM
If I have a speed boost while wearing heavy armor, say full plate, does it count or is my speed still 20ft? Can I benefit from items like boots of striding and springing or spells like expeditious retreat?

Maat Mons
2023-06-14, 04:59 PM
Pretty sure your speed winds up being (base speed + speed boost) * 2/3.

pabelfly
2023-06-14, 05:04 PM
If you're allowed it, grab a Tooth of Savnok - it lets you move at your full speed even with heavy armor and only costs 2K gold. It's one of the first items I'll try to grab if I'm playing a medium or heavy armor character.

False God
2023-06-14, 05:11 PM
Typically, armor speed reductions reduce your base speed to the given number, things that make you move faster are added on after that.

If you have a higher-than-normal (30ft) base speed, consult your DM to see if they will treat it as a based speed reduction, rather than a replacement base speed.

Maat Mons
2023-06-14, 08:30 PM
Ah yes, found it.

Bonuses to Speed
Always apply any modifiers to a creature’s speed before adjusting that creature’s speed based on armor or encumbrance. Multiple bonuses of the same type to a creature’s speed don’t stack.

Also, a nitpick. It's not a Tooth of Savnok, it's the Tooth of Savnok. Only one exists, and it's not possible to make more.

Crake
2023-06-15, 09:58 PM
Also, a nitpick. It's not a Tooth of Savnok, it's the Tooth of Savnok. Only one exists, and it's not possible to make more.

True, but it does also give us a price value for “moving at normal speed in armor”. Being a slotless item, its effectively 1k value. I could probably see an armor crystal for this being valued at like 1.5k

Edit: also yes, i know halfweight exists as an armor enchantment, however that has more effect than just being able to move at normal speed in armor, the armor itself is treated as light, so light armor proficiency covers you, and bard/warlock casting doesnt get ACF for example, and the whole thing weighs half, which can be important for encumbrance, so its price isnt properly reflective of just the movement speed change.