PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Death Tyrant handling the shaft

HoboKnight
2023-06-15, 10:35 AM
Hey guys,
I have an interesting situation in my game, I could use some advice on. So. I have a Death Tyrant controlling a part of an underground dungeon. Dungeon is sprawling on an underground trade route, used only by Drow, who ferry slaves. Death Tyrant also controls several groups of undead monsters, who guard the area. When Drow party appears, they gift a magic item to Death Tyrant and are safe to rest for a night near his lair, guarded by Tyrant's undead.

Unbeknownst to the Tyrant, there are several layers of dungeon above his lair - and above all of them is a small human city. OFC adventurers have cleared existing levels and have now found a way into one of the shafts(previously covered with debris from collapsed dungeons), that lead vertically into the main corridor, controlled by Death Tyrant. A few groups dropped in to be mowed down by tyrant's minions. But groups KEEP ON COMING. It's super annoying for the tyrant.

Now plugging the shaft seems a diffcult task(maybe not?). One could collapse the shaft, but this means, corridor gets caved in. Undead need no food, water and sleep and are always vigilant and can be placed in a shaft to deal with all intruders. Death tyrant himself can patrol the area no problem.

But maybe playground has another idea/take on this.

Thanks!

My masterful rendition of side view of the dungeon(sketch) and top-down view: https://ibb.co/bJYKyLR
https://ibb.co/4gnWCTT

Thank you :)

Sigreid
2023-06-15, 10:51 AM
The easy answer would be for the tyrant to demand scrolls of stone wall, or the services of a drow wizard that can cast stone wall as payment on the next trip through to plug the hole.

Unoriginal
2023-06-15, 12:00 PM
The Death Tyrant by themselves can lift 300 pounds of stone or metal with the power of their mind/eye, it may takes a few back-and-forth to plug the holes, but it's easily doable. Alternatively they can have skeletons carry the rocks, meral and mortar. And maybe stick a few arned skeletons in the mortarro make it harder for people to re-dig the holes.

In a fit of anger, paranoia or creative urges, the Death Tyrant would likely collapse everything they can and spend the next weeks re-making new paths that fits their new ideas better. Especially if "everything" includesthe settlement above.

Quietus
2023-06-15, 07:26 PM
The Death Tyrant by themselves can lift 300 pounds of stone or metal with the power of their mind/eye, it may takes a few back-and-forth to plug the holes, but it's easily doable. Alternatively they can have skeletons carry the rocks, meral and mortar. And maybe stick a few arned skeletons in the mortarro make it harder for people to re-dig the holes.

In a fit of anger, paranoia or creative urges, the Death Tyrant would likely collapse everything they can and spend the next weeks re-making new paths that fits their new ideas better. Especially if "everything" includes the settlement above.

I love all of these ideas, 100%. Skeletons built into the walls themselves would be a great set piece, and I really love the idea that those skeletons are being made from people in the settlement above, through an alternative/newly disintegrated route. No self-respecting death tyrant would allow people to live that close, unless they were getting something out of the deal.