PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Exalted feats for VoP in an EXTREMELY low magic setting

Frostthehero
2023-06-15, 12:01 PM
I'm playing in an ultra-low magic setting - at level 7, between 6 players, we have 5 magic items, all worth less than 5000 GP. This includes potions and scrolls. My DM has house-ruled that clerics can take VoP and keep their holy symbol. What exalted feats are best for a buff-focused cleric using DMM on persistent spell?

Thanks!

pabelfly
2023-06-15, 01:17 PM
Nymph's Kiss is solid, to the extent that you could justify the feat even without Vow of Poverty

Intuitive Attack could work if you could use a simple weapon with your build, giving you WIS to attack rolls.

Crake
2023-06-15, 01:21 PM
With the amount of feats youll get, just take whatever you think looks cool and/or matches the aesthetic you’re going for

H_H_F_F
2023-06-15, 01:42 PM
I don't want to harsh your buzz, but tell first ask your DM if they'd like to reconsider. VoP is (intended to be) balanced against WBL. Now, they've done a terrible job at that - but it's still far too close to "something for nothing" with such a low WBL, especially on casters.

You don't want to have ended up with your DM banning VoP for being "OP" and starting an argument. Make sure they've re-read the feat and considered it's impact for the balance of their game.

Inevitability
2023-06-15, 04:56 PM
Gift of Discernment is reasonably useful if your DM likes to get annoying about codes of conduct, Lliira's Blessing can be nice against some very nasty effects (grappling/paralyzing). Nimbus of Light is useful if you can't see in the dark and serves as a prerequisite to a couple feats, Sanctify Martial Strike adds up if you already have weapon focus from somewhere? The other vows are probably some of your best options, they do genuinely provide pretty big bonuses against unpleasant effects, but make sure you can hack the roleplaying requirements.

icefractal
2023-06-15, 08:27 PM
If you use unarmed strikes or natural weapons, Touch of Golden Ice is pretty good. The DC is poor*, but since it applies on every hit even a 1/20 chance comes up not too rarely. And it also serves as a (possibly unblockable?) way to detect whether someone is evil.

* Edit: Reading the thread about it here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?394444-Touch-of-Golden-Ice), the DC might be non-poor because of being a supernatural ability, in which case even better.

vasilidor
2023-06-18, 01:03 AM
Playing a spell caster in a low magic setting like this is OP by default, So:
Nymphs Kiss
Intuitive Attack
Exalted Turning
sanctify Weapon
Touch of Golden Ice
Gift of Faith
I think those are the worthwhile ones for your character.

eggynack
2023-06-18, 01:12 PM
It's pretty investment intensive, requiring a 15 in intelligence and charisma, but words of creation is a pretty solid pickup. I think it's often overlooked because of its heavy bard focus, but the ability to freely extend conjuration (creation) spells is substantially more powerful than most exalted feats you're gonna end up taking.

animewatcha
2023-06-18, 04:09 PM
To try to help the other players, is nemesis the only exalted feat that can be gotten without it being directly (can't remember the prestige class)? Aside from the fighter monk variant from dragon mag (interestingly monks can get intuitive attack this way).

pabelfly
2023-06-18, 04:18 PM
To try to help the other players, is nemesis the only exalted feat that can be gotten without it being directly (can't remember the prestige class)? Aside from the fighter monk variant from dragon mag (interestingly monks can get intuitive attack this way).

You can pick up Exalted feats like Nymph's Kiss or Nemesis without Vow of Poverty, if that was your question. Vow of Poverty just makes picking up those feats "free", so to speak.

Back to topic, even in a low magic setting where VOP is more useful than normal, I would consider how you're going to get innate healing and do ranged damage, because those are the two most glaring issues with any VOP build.

eggynack
2023-06-18, 06:35 PM
Back to topic, even in a low magic setting where VOP is more useful than normal, I would consider how you're going to get innate healing and do ranged damage, because those are the two most glaring issues with any VOP build.
I mean, the character's apparently a cleric. So that solves nearabout any problem that could arise due to lack of magic items.

H_H_F_F
2023-06-19, 08:03 AM

The innate healing from 5 magic items total in a level 7 group if 6 PCs is meaningless. Note that OP said this includes consumables.