PDA

View Full Version : Height and Weight for a Fairy?

Zanthy1
2023-06-16, 02:13 PM
I see that Faeries are Small creatures, and when I usually play something small, like a gnome or goblin I stick around 3ft in height, 60lbs in weight. However, in my head faeries are smaller than both of those. So my question is, how short can I make a fairy while still being Small (and not Tiny), and what would the corresponding weight be (roughly).

I know it isn't a huge deal, but at my table its always nice to have full visual discussions in addition to background and such during character intros.

Thank you!

Sigreid
2023-06-16, 02:50 PM
I see that Faeries are Small creatures, and when I usually play something small, like a gnome or goblin I stick around 3ft in height, 60lbs in weight. However, in my head faeries are smaller than both of those. So my question is, how short can I make a fairy while still being Small (and not Tiny), and what would the corresponding weight be (roughly).

I know it isn't a huge deal, but at my table its always nice to have full visual discussions in addition to background and such during character intros.

Thank you!
Strictly a table call but I wouldn't call 2 feet out of bounds.

Edit: one of the weaknesses of 5e is the way they don't tell you how big anything is. I often find myself going back to 1e resources to get a definition of how long a dragon is or how tall a giant is, etc.

Boverk
2023-06-16, 03:12 PM
As said above, I believe 2 to 4 ft tall are the bounds for small. You could have them be a little shorter and as long as it doesn't make any mechanical changes it shouldn't be an issue (but as always, clarify with DM).

Or you could make a Rune Knight Fairy, have them start 4 ft, grow to 5 ft at level 10, and then be 20 ft tall when they activate Giant's Might....toss in your once a day Enlarge/Reduce to pop up to 40 ft tall. Then Godzilla (or Mothra I guess) your way through Waterdeep.

Psyren
2023-06-16, 03:50 PM
The official rule (MotM 6) is to use the PHB table on page 121 and pick something that's close enough as a starting point. Both halflings and gnomes have a base weight of 35lbs and a base height between 2'7" and 2'11", so I'd expect a Fairy to start somewhere around there.

Lord Vukodlak
2023-06-16, 04:09 PM
So I have a Fairy Monk and he's 2'2 and 20lbs.

lall
2023-06-16, 10:45 PM
I go by 3.5, so 2’ and 8 lbs.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm

Zhorn
2023-06-17, 04:29 AM
Edit: one of the weaknesses of 5e is the way they don't tell you how big anything is. I often find myself going back to 1e resources to get a definition of how long a dragon is or how tall a giant is, etc.
It's definitely an area that's been bothering me more and more at 5e has progressed.
Some creatures there was at least a token effort initially to include references to the creature's size in the descriptions (examples Giants MMp153, Tarrasque MMp286) but those are vary rare exceptions.
Player characters initially having heights and weights that were then stripped away in later publications is also bothering, with WotC moving into a 'lol, nothing matters, it's all meaningless, make it up yourself' philosophy which has infected so many levels of their design.
More and more I'm kicking myself for not buying so many of the older editions books when they were available off the shelf here back in my younger years. Each time I see all the extra information that was given back then that we've just lost in the current edition :smallmad:

Zanthy1
2023-06-17, 08:15 AM
I go by 3.5, so 2’ and 8 lbs.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm

I went close to this. 2' and 25lbs cause he's small, but not like, itsy bitsy.

da newt
2023-06-17, 08:36 AM
I've always gone with the PHB pg 121 and Volos pg 120 to find the closest body type. Kobolds are the smallest PCs listed , so 2'1" and 25 lbs looks like a good minimum for 'small.'

But as others have said - it's your world and as long as it doesn't create an unfair advantage (chain pact warlocks carried by their invisible IMP = invisible eldritch blast cannon for example) live your best life.