PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Curseweave - a Warlock subclass

WitchofDread
2023-06-17, 04:03 AM
Hello everyone!

I wanted to create a subclass based on Hags and curses. I have seen a number of Hag-based homebrews around and a lot are based on giving existing hag features to players such as the Night Hag heartstone or Green Hag mimicry etc. Absolutely nothing wrong with these and I commend them, but I wanted something different.

Now this subclass is in no way complete so some help and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The Curseweaver 2.0

The Curseweaver delves deep into the dark arts of curses, weaving them with unparalleled mastery. Through their connection with an otherworldly entity, be it a hag, a malevolent spirit, or a cursed deity, they gain the ability to manipulate and harness curses to bend fate to their will. As a Cursebound Weaver, you embrace the power of curses and wield them as both a weapon and a shield.

Curseweaver Expanded Spells

1st Bane, Command
2nd Phantasmal Force, Web
3rd Slow, Tiny Hut
4th Phantasmal Killer, Polymorph
5th Dominate Person, Geas

Spite
1st level feature

When a creature within 30 feet of you makes an attack roll, skill check, or saving throw after you know the result you can use your reaction to reduce the number that is rolled by your charisma modifier.

You can use your reaction this way a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all uses on a long rest.

Cruel Malediction
6th level feature

When you are concentrating on a spell, you can forgo your bonus action for that turn to lace the spell with a curse. For spells with a casting time of one bonus action, you may activate this feature as part of the spell’s casting.

Choose one creature affected by your spell to apply the curse to. The effect ends when you stop concentrating on the spell:

Curse of Weakness: The target’s weapon attacks deal half damage.

Curse of Lingering Pain: The target’s speed is halved, and takes 1d4 psychic damage for every 5 feet it travels.

Curse of Torment: At the start of the target’s turn, it takes psychic damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

Curse of Bewilderment: The target has disadvantage on saving throws used to end the effects of the spell.

Curse of Assault: You have advantage on attacks against the cursed creature

Curse of Violation: You know the target’s surface thoughts and can force them to move half their speed in a direction of your choice.

Baleful Curse
6th level feature

When you reach 6th level, you have gained an increased understanding of your curses, allowing you to manipulate them with ease. You learn the Bestow Curse spell and it doesn’t count against your number of spells known. You can now cast it at a range of 60 ft and you are able to cast it without expending a spell slot once per long rest.

Masterful Hexing
10th level feature

When casting a spell that requires concentration and affects multiple targets they all become affected by your Cruel Malediction feature.

Additionally, If the spell you are concentrating on only affects one creature, you can select 2 options from your Cruel Malediction feature.

???????
14th level feature

Extra Warlock Invocation Options

Subtle Curses
Prerequisite: Eldritch Blast, The Curseweaver Patron

Once during each of your turns, when you hit a creature with your Eldritch Blast you can inflict a Wisdom saving throw which causes the creature to suffer your choice of Blind, Silenced or Deafened condition on a failure. These effects last until the end of your next turn.

Miasmic Hex
Prerequisites: 12th-level; hex spell or a warlock feature that curses

When you cast the hex spell or use a warlock feature that curses, the curse spreads over a small area. Other creatures are affected by the curse while within 10 feet of the cursed creature

So a few little bits I need some guidance one:

for one of the 6th lvl features - Yes there are 2- Curel Malediction, you can employ a number of curses to apply to your concentration spells. I wanted to create a variety of effects that could be used in interesting ways and combined well with certain spells. That being said there are a few that are significantly stronger than others.

So, what I thought about doing was setting level prerequisites for certain options. As an example, I want to add:

Hex of Vulnerability: The cursed creature gains vulnerability to a specific damage type of your choice.

Now this wouldn't be suitable at level 6, but given the prerequisite of level 14 for the curse, I think it could work.

The next big issue I have is the 14th-level feature.

I have come up with SO many different options but nothing quite fits!

This was my first idea:

Hag’s Veil

Starting at 14th level, you gain the ability Hag's Veil. When you activate your Hag’s Veil, you undergo a dramatic change in both form and demeanor. Your body contorts and warps, taking on a more monstrous and hag-like appearance. Your eyes may glow with an otherworldly light, and your skin might become pallid and mottled. As you embrace your transformation, a sense of eerie power emanates from your very being.

While in this transformed state, you gain the following benefits:

1. You gain temporary hit points equal to two times your warlock level. Additionally, you are immune to charm and frightened effects.

2. Whenever a creature affected by your curses suffers damage, you regain hit points equal to half the damage dealt. This rejuvenating effect fuels your resilience and keeps you fighting amidst the chaos.

You can remain in your Cursed Transformation for a number of minutes equal to your warlock level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

I really like the transformation idea but I'm not so happy with the effects. I feel like they need to be more in line with the curses and amplify or benefit them somehow.

Another idea I had was:

Unyielding Retribution
14th level feature

At 14th level, your curses reach their apex, manifesting in a potent and relentless retribution against those who dare to oppose you. When a creature affected by your Cruel Malediction successfully lands an attack against you or causes you to make a saving throw, you can use your reaction to unleash a powerful burst of retaliatory magic. The creature takes psychic damage equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier, and must make a Wisdom saving throw against your warlock spell save DC. On a failed save, the creature becomes afflicted with the Curse of Ruin.

Curse of Ruin: The target takes ongoing psychic damage at the start of each of its turns. The damage equals your Charisma modifier and increases by 1d6 for each subsequent turn the curse remains active. The curse lasts for 1 minute or until the target successfully saves against it, ending the ongoing damage.

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Calen
2023-06-17, 12:41 PM
Cruel Malediction
6th level feature

When you are concentrating on a spell, you can forgo your bonus action for that turn to lace the spell with a curse. For spells with a casting time of one bonus action, you may activate this feature as part of the spell’s casting.

Choose one creature affected by your spell to apply the curse to. The effect ends when you stop concentrating on the spell:

Curse of Lingering Pain: The target’s speed is halved, and takes 1d4 psychic damage for every 5 feet it travels.

Curse of Torment: At the start of the target’s turn, it takes psychic damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

Curse of Bewilderment: The target has disadvantage on saving throws used to end the effects of the spell.

Curse of Violation: You know the target’s surface thoughts and can force them to move half their speed in a direction of your choice.

Is the intent that the Curse will persists even if the creature succeeds on the save against the spell on a later turn? (ie. One creature saves against Bane but still has the Curse while other creatures are still Baned.)

for one of the 6th lvl features - Yes there are 2- Curel Malediction, you can employ a number of curses to apply to your concentration spells. I wanted to create a variety of effects that could be used in interesting ways and combined well with certain spells. That being said there are a few that are significantly stronger than others.

So, what I thought about doing was setting level prerequisites for certain options. As an example, I want to add:

Hex of Vulnerability: The cursed creature gains vulnerability to a specific damage type of your choice.

Now this wouldn't be suitable at level 6, but given the prerequisite of level 14 for the curse, I think it could work.

Having more powerful curses along with having all targets cursed by a multi-target spell could be quite powerful.

You could say that at level 10 you may choose to use one of the following when you use your Cruel Malediction.

All targets of the spell are effected by a Cruel Malediction. (Same choice for each target)
You may choose two Cruel Maledictions for a single target.
You may choose a single Greater Malediction from the following list.

With your higher level ones as the third option.

I like the Hag's Veil feature personally, but both work I think.

Nice work!

MrStabby
2023-06-17, 01:48 PM
Hello everyone!

I wanted to create a subclass based on Hags and curses. I have seen a number of Hag-based homebrews around and a lot are based on giving existing hag features to players such as the Night Hag heartstone or Green Hag mimicry etc. Absolutely nothing wrong with these and I commend them, but I wanted something different.

Now this subclass is in no way complete so some help and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have come up with SO many different options but nothing quite fits!

I... quite like it. When I saw it as a warlock patron I had my concerns but I think you have done a good job around this.

Expaned spells - fantastic and thematic selection, not a bad achievement given that there is a bit of overlap from the core theme. Tiny hut though?

Spite - I like it. Is kind of like the lore bards cutting words but penalising saving throws could be REALLY strong. It is fewer times per day though and I do like that it gives you something to do, even against legendary resistance or immunities.

Cruel Malediction - Simultaniously underpowered and overpowered. As a warlock you have awesome at-wil damage from your actions. THis therefore has a high cost, on the other hand, some of the options are very well worth it. One thing I thought was that you would need to land a spell and they fail a save and therefore you would struggle against big enemies... but nope. Cast hex. No save. Turn 1 half is speed so you get more time before it does anything. Turn 2 stack some advantage on top of that, turn three also make its attacks do half damage also. So many stacking nasty effects with no way to avoid is maybe a bit good.

A seperate issue is curse of violation - is this on their turn, on your turn? Using a reaction? Is it intended to let you walk them off cliffs or onto lava (other spells avoid this), is it intended to make melee enemies totally impotent (half their move to walk away then half to move back means they can never close distance with you. With no save and lots of potential attacks of opportunity this is poentially very dominant.

WitchofDread
2023-06-17, 03:15 PM
Firstly, thank you for the responses.

@Calen

Is the intent that the Curse will persists even if the creature succeeds on the save against the spell on a later turn? (ie. One creature saves against Bane but still has the Curse while other creatures are still Baned.)

So, using the above example, if you were to cast bane at 6th level as your action you can target 5 enemies, say 4 fail and 1 saves. On the same turn as you bonus action you use Curse of Weakness: The target’s weapon attacks deal half damage. You select 1 target of the effected 4 to become cursed. While you continue to concentrate on the spell that 1 enemy remains cursed. If you end concentration the spell ends so does the curse. You cannot on subsequent turns apply additional curses.

Having more powerful curses along with having all targets cursed by a multi-target spell could be quite powerful.

You could say that at level 10 you may choose to use one of the following when you use your Cruel Malediction.
All targets of the spell are effected by a Cruel Malediction. (Same choice for each target)
You may choose two Cruel Maledictions for a single target.
You may choose a single Greater Malediction from the following list.

I have potentially thought of a solution for this which i will post at the bottom.

@MrStabby

I... quite like it. When I saw it as a warlock patron I had my concerns but I think you have done a good job around this.

Expaned spells - fantastic and thematic selection, not a bad achievement given that there is a bit of overlap from the core theme. Tiny hut though?

thank you! The spell selection is challenging, tiny hut was a random choice but really not sure what else to choose.

Cruel Malediction - Simultaniously underpowered and overpowered. As a warlock you have awesome at-wil damage from your actions. THis therefore has a high cost, on the other hand, some of the options are very well worth it. One thing I thought was that you would need to land a spell and they fail a save and therefore you would struggle against big enemies... but nope. Cast hex. No save. Turn 1 half is speed so you get more time before it does anything. Turn 2 stack some advantage on top of that, turn three also make its attacks do half damage also. So many stacking nasty effects with no way to avoid is maybe a bit good.

As i explained above, there is no stacking curse effects. Its one effect per spell until level 10 when if the spell only targets 1 enemy you can select 2 options. If it was stacking it would be WAY to strong and get difficult to keep track of.

A seperate issue is curse of violation - is this on their turn, on your turn? Using a reaction? Is it intended to let you walk them off cliffs or onto lava (other spells avoid this), is it intended to make melee enemies totally impotent (half their move to walk away then half to move back means they can never close distance with you. With no save and lots of potential attacks of opportunity this is poentially very dominant.

This one im really not sure about. I feel like i should add an addition to say something like:

Curse of Violation: You know the target’s surface thoughts and can force them to move half their speed in a direction of your choice at the end of their turn but not into obvious danger.

WitchofDread
2023-06-17, 03:21 PM
So I have made a few changes.

- I have added level prerequisites to the Cruel Malediction curses as some are notably stronger than others.

- I have changed Hag's Veil to be more in line with the other features of the subclass.

Cruel Malediction
6th level feature

Choose one creature affected by your spell to apply the curse too. The effect ends when you stop concentrating on the spell:

level 6

Curse of Violation: You know the target’s surface thoughts and can force them to move half their speed in a direction of your choice at the end of their turn but not into obvious danger.

level 10

level 14

Curse of Vulnerability: The cursed creature gains vulnerability to a specific damage type of your choice. This curse can only be active on one creature at a time.

Baleful Curse
6th level feature

When you reach 6th level, you have gained an increased understanding of your curses, allowing you to manipulate them with ease. You learn the Bestow Curse spell and it doesn’t count against your number of spells known. You can now cast it at a range of 60 ft and you are able to cast it without expending a spell slot once per long rest.

Masterful Hexing
10th level feature

When casting a spell that requires concentration and affects multiple targets they all become affected by your Cruel Malediction feature.

Additionally, If the spell you are concentrating on only affects one creature, you can select 2 options from your Cruel Malediction feature.

Hag’s Veil
14th level feature

As a bonus action, you can assume your Hag’s Veil. When you activate your Hag’s Veil, you undergo a dramatic change in both form and demeanor. Your body contorts and warps, taking on a more monstrous and hag-like appearance. Your eyes may glow with an otherworldly light, and your skin might become pallid and mottled. As you embrace your transformation, a sense of eerie power emanates from your very being.

Your transformation lasts for 1 minute. You gain the following benefits while transformed:

- When a creature affected by your Cruel Malediction successfully lands an attack against you or causes you to make a saving throw, you can use your reaction to unleash a powerful burst of retaliatory magic. The creature takes psychic damage equal to your warlock level.

- You can access a new Cruel Malediction: Curse of Ruin. This curse can only be active on one creature at a time.

Curse of Ruin: The target takes ongoing psychic damage at the start of each of its turns. The damage equals your Charisma modifier and increases by 1d8 for each subsequent turn the curse remains active.

- When transformed damage does not break your concentration

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

I have also created some invocations to accompany the subclass

Subtle Curses
Prerequisite: Eldritch Blast, The Curseweaver Patron

Once during each of your turns, when you hit a creature with your Eldritch Blast you can inflict a Wisdom saving throw which causes the creature to suffer your choice of Blind, Silenced or Deafened condition on a failure. These effects last until the end of your next turn.

Miasmic Hex
Prerequisites: 12th-level; hex spell or a warlock feature that curses

When you cast the hex spell, Bestow Curse, or use a warlock feature that curses, the curse spreads over a small area. Other creatures are affected by the curse while within 10 feet of the cursed creature.

Calen
2023-06-17, 04:24 PM
Tiny hut though?

I thought that, at least name wise, Tiny Hut is a perfect spell for a somebody emulating a hag that usually lives alone and away from society in their own little hut.