PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Looking For Template

Thurbane
2023-06-17, 07:32 PM
So, need some DM help.

I'm looking for a template, which can be applied to a large Vermin, or a large Magical Beast, that gives it some kind of curse ability.

It can be an SLA or Supernatural ability, but not the ability to cast it as a spell please (i.e. Monster of Legend gives Cleric casting, but I don't want anything like that).

Specifically needs to be a template, not class levels or virtual class levels.

Anything curse-like would be fine, doesn't specifically have to be Bestow Curse.

Cheers - T

Gorthawar
2023-06-18, 07:43 AM
The half-fey template gives lesser geas if the creature has 10hd. That's the closest I could find.

ciopo
2023-06-18, 07:52 AM
How close to curse like do we cleave?

Savage species has a template that gives out petrifying gaze, iirc. Is "turns you to stone" close enough to "curse"?

Inevitability
2023-06-18, 08:27 AM
Half-Troll and then Lycanthrope lets the creature pass on the curse of lycanthropy, but I feel like that might not be what you're looking for...

ShurikVch
2023-06-18, 03:09 PM
Is Unholy Blight OK for a "curse"? If yes - then Evolved Undead, Half-Fiend, or Bhaalspawn (Dragon #288)

Spellstitched Undead - chose your own SLA (up to 6th-level, presuming Wis bonus is high enough)

Also, the "Unique NPC Abilities" (Dungeon Master's Guide II): Arcane Adept allow to select SLA from up to 3rd-level sorcerer/wizard spells, Graced from Outside - up to 2nd-level domain spell, and Past Life - up to 5th-level sorcerer spell

Biggus
2023-06-18, 03:57 PM
Also, the "Unique NPC Abilities" (Dungeon Master's Guide): Arcane Adept allow to select SLA from up to 3rd-level sorcerer/wizard spells, Graced from Outside - up to 2nd-level domain spell, and Past Life - up to 5th-level sorcerer spell

Did you mean Dungeon Master's Guide 2?

ShurikVch
2023-06-18, 04:04 PM
Did you mean Dungeon Master's Guide 2?
Yes.
Thanks for pointing it

Thurbane
2023-06-18, 06:09 PM
Hmm, some possibilities there.

If I throw an undead template on it first, Spellstitched is a viable option.

The NPCs traits are also an option, but a vermin having heroic ancestors etc. feels a little weird.

loky1109
2023-06-18, 06:14 PM
Half Troll into Mummy. Mummy rot described as a curse.

Tzardok
2023-06-19, 06:41 AM
Hmm, some possibilities there.

If I throw an undead template on it first, Spellstitched is a viable option.

The NPCs traits are also an option, but a vermin having heroic ancestors etc. feels a little weird.

Didn't you ever hear the story of Sir Chelizerax the Seven-Legged who saved his people from the Evils of Vacuum, Duster and Fly-Swatter? Who overcame the invading wasps? Who sired three dynasties in one night and only lost one leg to his paramours? His descendants themselves are famed in song and weaving, known everywhere in the apartment block.

Asmotherion
2023-06-19, 06:49 AM
To the point of being captain obvious, I'll throw in my suggestions:

-Vampire Spawn.
-Wight.

You can then apply the spellstiched template to give them Bestow Curse as an SLA.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-06-19, 07:10 AM
Awaken it so it can take class levels, followed by arcane swordsage? It doesn't need to act like a person (talking, etc), but it could use tactics, along with whatever spell effects you feel are appropriate, whether that be purely buffs and debuffs, tactical teleportation, or whatever.

Also, you could use an NPC of a different race that polymorphs or vermin wild shapes into a vermin or other creature that appears like a vermin.

How about a vermin-shaped construct with an appropriate template applied? PF also has the ability to add potion effects onto constructs for 10x the potion cost, and potions can be up to 6th level in PF.

Thurbane
2023-06-19, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the creative answers everyone, but I found something I'm happy with.

Spellstitched Husk Vermin Monstrous Spider works quit well for what I was looking for.