PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Thri-Kreen Bard Shenanigans

Yakmala
2023-06-18, 04:47 PM
I'll soon be playing through Keys From the Golden Vault under Adventurers League rules at a local game shop. One of the unique things about Keys From the Golden Vault is the award system which allows players to pick their own magic item reward, based on the tier level of the module. The only restrictions are that it must be a magic item from either the DMG, XGtE or TCoE and it can't be an item that raises/changes attributes or grants wishes.

As Spell Jammer races are considered part of the Forgotten Realms campaign in AL, that makes Thri-Kreen a legal choice. Thri-Kreen have four arms, and while the smaller set can only be used to manipulate objects and wield light weapons, that still allows for some interesting options.

Imagine a Thri-Kreen College of Eloquence Bard. In this campaign, picking their own rewards, by the time they are Level 7, and have gotten to pick two rare magic items, they could have both a Rhythm Maker's Drum +2 and a Reveler's Concertina. Both of which add +2 to Spell DC and both of which only require that they be held, not played to work.

So, let's imagine this character at Level 8. Charisma has been bumped to 20 via Level 4 & 8 ASI's. AL allows them three magic items at Tier 2, so they have an Instrument of the Bards, which they play with their main hands while holding the Rhythm Maker's Drum +2 and Reveler's Concertina in their secondary hands.

That's a Spell DC of 20. Toss in a use of Unsettling Words and that rises to 21-28 (average 24). Do a spell that works with the properties of the Instrument of the Bards, such as Hypnotic Pattern, and that's a DC 24 Wisdom save at disadvantage.

The Thri-Kreen becomes a "One Bug Band" with spells that are nearly irresistible to anything without legendary saves.

I think this is all legal per RAW, but I could be wrong. Verbal spells shouldn't be a problem, and somatic spells with material components can be cast as well, as you can use the same hand that holds a focus (the instrument) to hold material components. Anything I'm overlooking?

follacchioso
2023-06-19, 03:42 AM
That's a good idea, and a fun character concept. You are a big insectoid creature that cannot talk in the Common language, but can play as a one-person orchestra. Quite cool! :-)

If you want to boost it further, you could get one level as cleric, then get an Amulet of the Devout, which increases the DC of all spells, including the bard ones. In alternative you can get a level of wizard and ask for Rope of Archmagi, but that is a legendary item.

One I see with this build is that Bards do not have so many Save spells, at least not as many as Wizards and Sorcerers. There are some good ones (Feeblemind, Tasha's Laughter, Hold person, etc..) but they are mostly concentration and charm based, which limits their effectiveness.

The other problem I see is that you are giving away two attunement slots to increase spell DC, without getting anything else. When you are so fragile like only Bards can be, magic items can be important to give you extra defense or resources.