PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next An Idea: Personality Boons/Fatal Flaws (PEACH)

SyntheticHuman
2023-06-19, 12:30 PM
So I've had this idea pinging around in my head for a while about a way to turn bits of a character's personality into mechanics they can use in game. Similar to using first level feats, you would choose these at character creation and potentially alter them with your DM's approval as your character develops. I'd like some feedback on what I've got so far.

Personality Boons and Fatal Flaws
Sometimes, a strong enough personality trait or flaw can change the way someone interacts with the world. Each one of the options for Personality Boons and Fatal Flaws has a power ranking on a scale of one to three. The sum of the power ranking of your Personality Boons cannot exceed three, and the sum of the power ranking of your Fatal Flaws must be equal to the sum of the power ranking of your Personality Boons. The options are listed below:

Personality Boons
Adaptable
Power ranking: Two
You may add your proficiency bonus to a skill check you are not proficient in. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of one) and regain all expended uses on a long rest.
Brave
Power ranking: One
You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Charming
Power ranking: One/I]
Whenever you encounter a specific humanoid for the first time, as long as they are not hostile towards you, you may make a DC 15 Charisma (Performance) check. On a success, they are charmed by you for one minute.
Confident
[I]Power ranking: Three
You may add half your proficiency bonus (rounded down) to all your Charisma saving throws.
Empathetic
You have advantage on Wisdom (Insight) checks to discern a friendly or indifferent humanoid's emotional state.
Independent
Power ranking: Three
If none of your allies are within thirty feet of you, you may add half your proficiency bonus (rounded down) to all your skill checks.
Self-Aware
You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed.

Fatal Flaws
Anxious
If you ever have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks (i.e. if you are in dim light or darkness), you have disadvantage on all saving throws.
Cowardly
You have disadvantage on saving throws against being frightened. This Flaw cannot be taken alongside the Brave personality boon.
Clumsy
If you ever roll a Natural One on a tool check, you must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or damage your tools, gaining disadvantage on all checks made with those tools until you can get a new set or repair them. In addition, if you roll a critical failure on a weapon or spell attack, you must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or drop your weapon, arcane focus, component pouch, or whatever is in your hands. If this happens, you must spend an action to pick them back up.
Easily Startled
If you are ever surprised at the start of the battle, you subtract 5 from your Initiative and have disadvantage on your first attack roll or ability check of the battle.
Gullible
You have disadvantage on Wisdom (Insight) checks to detect if someone is lying.
Naïve
You have disadvantage on all Wisdom checks.
Self-Centered
You have disadvantage on all Wisdom (Insight) checks made to discern someone's emotional state. This Flaw cannot be taken alongside the Empathetic Personality Boon.
Self-Loathing
You have disadvantage on Charisma saving throws.

Let me know what you think in the way of balance. Also, if you have any ideas for Flaws or Boons, please let me know!