PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder make yourself Frightened for a long duration

corncobweb
2023-06-19, 01:54 PM
Hello, is there any way to make yourself frightened for a long duration?

:smalleek: I'm not allowed to put links in my first post, sorry.

I have a strange build that uses swallow your fear.

reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/11vaelv/growing_a_spine_rageshaper_shifter/

aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Swallow%20Your%20Fear

If the subject is frightened, he remains in place and gains the confused condition for the remainder of the fear effect, except he treats all results of “attack self ” as “do nothing” and treats “attack nearest creature” as “act normally.”

Since this build is already confused, this confusion effect is a buff. However I need to remain frightened in order to keep the buff. My current approach is to have two fear effects which each shake, so they combine together to frighten.

legacy.aonprd.com/coreRulebook/glossary.html#fear

Fear effects are cumulative. A shaken character who is made shaken again becomes frightened

However, if I get a single effect that frightens, then I can cure the shaken while keeping the frightened, and then I don't suffer from the -2 penalty.

Characters who are frightened are shaken, and in addition they flee from the source of their fear as quickly as they can.

Here is the investigation I've already done:
reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/10ongj8/effects_that_shakenfrighten_yourself_or_an_ally/

ciopo
2023-06-19, 02:53 PM
There are two poisons that cause shaken effect, one costs 1500gp and is shaken for 1 hour, the other costs 900gp and has no listed duration, so you can argue with your GM that it might last until you successfully save... and fail the save voluntarily?

Also, are you aware of the item called "azata whimsy"? I didn't go to check the reddit thread so I don't know if you had it already in kind

corncobweb
2023-06-19, 03:16 PM
Interesting, the poisons might be easier than my current approach with phobia + mirror mantis. Thanks. And I know of Azata's Whimsy, it's just that I've already minimized the confusion enough to not need it.

But the ideal is a single effect that frightens, rather than two effects that shake.

ciopo
2023-06-19, 03:28 PM
What about an headband of unshakeable resolve to reduce the potentially infinite duration panicked condition from https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Phobia to only frightened instead?

corncobweb
2023-06-19, 06:38 PM
That is absolutely excellent, ciopio. Thank you!