PDA

View Full Version : Sanctify Water - Actually an attack

Olive_Sophia
2023-06-19, 11:05 PM
Crossposting my thread from Minmax forums, because this place seems to be much more active.

I was looking at this feat from Stormwrack the other day, and I noticed something funny about it.

SANCTIFY WATER [DIVINE]
You can call upon positive energy to momentarily transform normal water around you into holy water. This feat is often learned by the clerics and paladins of sea gods, as well as aquatic clerics of all stripes.
Prerequisites: Cha 13, ability to channel positive energy.
Benefit: By expending a daily turn undead attempt, you can infuse the water around you with positive energy, which has the same effect as holy water. All creatures in a 20-foot radius around you immediately take damage as though they’d been struck directly by a flask of holy water. The water retains positive energy for a number of rounds equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier, and deals damage each round.
Creatures unaffected by holy water are similarly unaffected by this ability.

It’s about the damaging effect. It doesn’t actually say anything about requiring nearby enemies to be standing in water or touching water, or anything of that nature. So it seems that activating this feat causes two separate effects. First, it turns any nearby water into holy water. Secondly, all creatures within 20ft immediately take damage as if they’d been hit with a flask of holy water, regardless of whether or not they are in contact with the holy water that was just made.

Against the undead, this is… kinda good. Not amazing, but it’s a pretty big aoe that you can use plenty of times per day. And there’s no attack roll or save. Unfortunately it is difficult to increase this damage, and probably no splash damage is applied. Each creature takes damage “as if they’d been struck directly” with the flask. Not as if you struck them with it. So Grenadier and Shaped Splash probably do nothing here.

It might be particularly good against undead swarms - they take extra damage from this effect, they don’t take damage from regular weapons, and they often come in groups.

This was an interesting find, though niche. And I think it makes sense to a degree. Creating the holy water involves a burst of positive energy that deals similar damage to the water it’s meant to create. Nearby undead creatures would feel that effect.

If we accept this interpretation, there is a question about what “The water retains positive energy for a number of rounds equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier, and deals damage each round,” actually means. If this just refers to the holy water created, maybe it means that targets struck with it will continue to take the usual damage round after round while the duration lasts — like the lingering effects of Alchemists Fire, but considerably longer. This part is certainly a stretch, but it would make the feat even more valuable. Perhaps the short-duration holy water created by this feat is more potent than the usual stuff (due to having just been infused with positive energy.)

Strictly speaking, it’s difficult to find a reference for holy water dealing damage every round - or what that damage would be. The entry for Holy Water says that it damages undead “almost as if it were acid”. But it doesn’t provide any rules for how much damage holy water does, apart from the case of throwing or using a flask. The feat seems to conjure images of pools of water made holy continually burning undead caught within- but there aren’t any rules for this that I’m aware of. There is a rule for total submersion in acid - 10d6 a round. And a rule for exposure - 1d6 a round. But holy water does different damage, and it’s entry doesn’t provide us with any information about how to handle such scenarios. It's connection to acid is the line that says holy water deals damage to certain creatures “almost as if it were acid” - which is such a weak link that I could believe it’s just an evocative description rather than any kind of rules sharing.

Once again, the feat doesn’t mention any particular quantity of water. If the only water around is one or two flasks on your person - the line “The water retains positive energy for a number of rounds equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier, and deals damage each round,” probably still applies to it. The only damage amount we have for holy water is 2d4 on a hit with a flask. This led to the possibility of the (generous) interpretation where the flask does lingering damage each round (2d4) to any undead struck.

If a DM allowed that, it still wouldn’t be that powerful in the grand scheme. But it’s clearly not as intended. I've played a trapmaster/splash weapon character before; I may have picked this feat up back then if I had read it like this. :smallbiggrin:

SirNibbles
2023-06-23, 09:25 AM
The feat description on page 91 says that it converts 'water within 20 ft. radius into holy water'. I would assume that there has to be water present for the creatures nearby to actually be affected.

The full description says that it deals damage every round, so it deals damage every round.

Lightbringer Cleric's Destroy Undead (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, page 206) would generally be better than this feat because it doesn't require a feat, scales damage with level, doesn't require water, and affects a larger radius.

The only real advantage Sanctify Water has is that it deals damage every round. You could possibly exploit this by combining it with rider effects that affect enemies affected by your Turn Undead. However, this is made more difficult by the fact that you are only burning a use of turn undead and the feat doesn't actually count as you turning undead.

Anthrowhale
2023-06-23, 10:38 AM
As a comparator, there's a feat "Sacred Purification" which does 1d8+Cha positive energy to all creatures in a 60' radius, healing the living and damaging the undead.

Olive_Sophia
2023-06-23, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Destroy Undead is cool, and it is better than this feat. Though of course, only for Lightbringer Clerics. (I actually think Turn Undead is quite strong with a bit of investment and wouldn't want to trade it away, but that's neither here nor there.)

And Sacred Purification is definitely way better than this feat's initial burst. It seems that it takes two feats of investment, however. Which isn't great, but the granted ability is fairly useful in a generic way. I like it.

And so we've found that there are some other, probably better options for spending a turn attempt to damage undead. With this feat having some niche bonuses if you can make use of the damage over time, or if you want to harm evil outsiders instead of undead.

But if the feat does let you turn a flask of water into a flask of holy water that deals damage over time to those struck, then it's a uniquely decent buff for grenadier builds that expect to fight undead/evil outsiders. That use case doesn't often come up, mind, but it is an interesting possibility.

Anthrowhale
2023-06-23, 04:48 PM
Another relevant similar effect is Celestial Brilliance (the spell). That's a 60' radius doing 1d6/round to creatures. Precast it on (say) a slingstone along with Sacred Item (another spell), and then pull lay waste on a battlefield full of undead.

SirNibbles
2023-06-23, 08:02 PM
Another relevant similar effect is Celestial Brilliance (the spell). That's a 60' radius doing 1d6/round to creatures. Precast it on (say) a slingstone along with Sacred Item (another spell), and then pull lay waste on a battlefield full of undead.

Especially with Bane Magic: Undead (Heroes of Horror, page 119). Celestial Brilliance is from the Book of Exalted Deeds, page 94.

Bane Magic + Celestial Brilliance = whole lot of destroyed undead/evil outsiders without really doing anything. Got a chameleon in a campaign that will be handy in. Going to have to remember it.

Anthrowhale
2023-06-25, 09:00 AM
A little bit more---Initiate of Pelor (Dragon #342) offers:
4. Immolate the Wicked: +10d6 damage to turned undead, half fire and half divine, for rounds/level.