PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help identify this game?

Sofaking
2007-12-06, 11:29 AM
Hello everyone, I remember playing this game as a kid and I can't seem to remember its name. I'll give you all the details I can think of and hopefully some one can help me.

It was a (by now) very old DOS based fantasy RPG game. I believe the cover had some sort of wizard but I can't see it in my mind correctly. You created a party by going to the Guild, and it sort of randomly showed you people and you could buy them if you wanted. If not you just kept refreshing the page until someone came up who you liked. I think i remember almost everything was in Black White and Pink colors. The towns were just a screen with a few buildings on it, and I think you typed what building you wanted to go into. The road in the town looked like a B&W checkerboard. Anyway, after you made your party you could go out and wander around on the map. Your party was represented by a pink square with the letter P. So you wandered around and had random encounters. When combat started the screen switched to a FF type battle with your party lined up at the bottom and your enemies on the top of the screen. You gave commands and they made simple animations, like raising a sword to attack or a flash of light for a spell. Another thing you could do was go into a dungeon. The map turned white and as you cleared out the area it turned black. You could also pass through hidden passageways and things like that. Very simple black and white map but it gave you text prompts to tell you what you were seeing.

I think thats all I can remember about it story wise, I think I was to young to really follow it to well. So does anyone think they can give me an idea of what this game was called?

Driderman
2007-12-06, 07:15 PM
Sounds like Phantasie III.
It should be available as abandonware on the underdogs or abandonia.
Fun game I seem to recall

Tom_Violence
2007-12-06, 07:25 PM
Can I potentially hijack this thread with a similar request? Well, I shall anyway!

I too remember a game from my youth, though not in a great amount of detail. I think it had the word 'Brotherhood' in the title somewhere. Basically it was a scifi-RPG, very old school. One constructed a party, in a largely Darklands sort of way - that is, you got to pick the bare bones of a person, then up their age until they snap, gaining skills etc. along the way. Visually the game was top down, with characters essentially looking like circles with little arms sticking out. Strictly grid-based, if memory served.

Anyone got any ideas?

SmartAlec
2007-12-06, 08:52 PM
That second one sounds like Megatraveller 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/megatraveller-1-the-zhodani-conspiracy

Sofaking
2007-12-06, 09:49 PM
Sounds like Phantasie III.
It should be available as abandonware on the underdogs or abandonia.
Fun game I seem to recall

Thats it, Phantasie but the 1st not the 3rd. Friend of mine on another board already got it but thanks anyway. I've been playing it quite a bit this evening. It is crazy how simple this little game is and yet it is so much fun. Who the hell needs a third dimension anyway? :smallsmile:

Driderman
2007-12-07, 04:15 AM
Glad to be of help. And yes, the other game mentioned sounds like Megatraveller. Loved the character creation, never actually played the game :)

Tom_Violence
2007-12-07, 09:10 AM
That second one sounds like Megatraveller 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/megatraveller-1-the-zhodani-conspiracy

Yes! Genius! That's it! I am in your debt, good sir!