PDA

View Full Version : What are the best feats for a tiny combatant?

H_H_F_F
2023-06-20, 04:39 AM
Let's say we have a martial character of tiny size. I know Underfoot Combat lets you overcome the AOO risk, and Confound the Big Folk is nice.

What other feats let you overcome the issues of tinydom, or let you take advantage of your size?

Anthrowhale
2023-06-20, 06:48 AM
Not a feat, but "Fell the Greatest Foe" (a spell) would give you +2d6 damage compared to a medium sized character.

Close-Quarters fighting is also decent for preventing grapples if you don't have access to freedom of movement.

SimonMoon6
2023-06-20, 09:06 AM
I think one of the most important things for a Tiny (or smaller) melee combatant is some way to get reach. Reach weapons won't help you because they double your 0 reach, but there are ways to add to your reach instead.

In 3.5, my recommendation is "Inhuman Reach," which has a prerequisite of "Aberration Blood". For a cost of two feats, you can get a reasonable 5' reach. You do get -1 to attack rolls from then on, but I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff, seeing that a Tiny character gets +2 to attack anyway from size. The cost in feats is a bit much perhaps, but it's an option. Also, "Aberration Blood" has a prerequisite of being humanoid, so that's annoying if you're not a humanoid, but you can always take the templates "Dustform" followed by "Incarnate Construct" (total LA +0) to make you into a humanoid as long as you are vaguely humanoid looking in the first place.

There's also Lunging Strike, but meh, it takes a full round action just for one attack and you need BAB +6 before you can take it.

Rebel7284
2023-06-20, 09:59 PM
You can also be an archer of some sort and ignore the problem with reach

ShurikVch
2023-06-21, 01:28 PM
Also, "Aberration Blood" has a prerequisite of being humanoid, so that's annoying if you're not a humanoid
It's setting-specific (and Dragon) - but Mourning Mutate (#359) can be substituted for Aberration Blood, and have no prerequisites

There's also Lunging Strike, but meh, it takes a full round action just for one attack and you need BAB +6 before you can take it.
Long Strike (Dragon Compendium) have the same limitation, and usable only with a pole arm - but required only BAB +2 (and a [Fighter Bonus Feat] - although Lunging Strike is FBF too)

Other ways to get some extra reach are Dancing Blade Form stance (Tome of Battle), Reach (https://web.archive.org/web/20130421061750/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827e) psionic power, and Long Arm fiendish graft (Fiend Folio)
Finally - Awl Pike (Dragon #331), arguably, always have 15' reach (although, like most reach weapons, is incapable to attack creatures who're closer than its reach)

Other decent possible feats for Tiny combatant: Giantbane (Complete Warrior), Pebble Underfoot (Dragon Compendium), and Scramble (Savage Species)

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-06-21, 01:36 PM
Whips have 15' of reach irrespective of your size, so you might maybe consider going either with the whip dagger (Sword & Fist) for lethal damage that works against armor, or levels in one of the variant pyrokineticist PrCs (http://rpg.nobl.ca/archive.php?x=dnd/psm/20040625e) so you can avoid all the myriad creatures with resistance and immunity to fire. (Sonic, electricity, and acid are my preferred favorites.)

Weapons Description
Whip Dagger
A character who takes an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in the whip is also proficient in the whip dagger. (You do not need to take a separate feat to use the whip dagger if you already have a feat for the whip.) The whip dagger is heavier than a standard whip and deals normal damage due to the barbs that run along its length and the dagger-like tip (which inflicts deep wounds when accelerated to strike by a proficient user). Unlike standard whips, armor bonuses and natural armor bonuses do not hinder its ability to deal damage. Although you keep it in hand, treat it as a ranged weapon with a maximum range of 15 feet and no range penalties.

Because the whip dagger can wrap around an enemy's leg or other limb, you can make trip attacks with it. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the whip dagger to avoid being tripped.

You get a +2 bonus on your opposed attack roll when attempting to disarm an opponent (including the roll to keep from being disarmed yourself if you fail to disarm your opponent).

Exotic Weapon
Cost: 25 gp
Dmg(S): 1d4
Dmg(M): 1d6
Crit: 19-20/x2
Reach: 15 ft.
Weight: 3 lb.
Type: Slashing

Anthrowhale
2023-06-21, 02:24 PM
It's maybe worth adding that Weapon Finesse, Hit&Run tactics, Shadow Blade, Sneak attack, Lightbringer Rogue 3, etc... all play to a low strength/high dex character which is typical of the tiny ones.

Elkad
2023-06-22, 05:58 AM
Reach weapons won't help you because they double your 0 reach, but there are ways to add to your reach instead.

The DMG disagrees.

Pg29

Because Tiny, Diminutive, and Fine creatures have no natural reach, they do not normally get attacks of opportunity. Specific creatures may be exceptions, and some may carry reach weapons that do threaten adjacent squares.

Pseudodragon tail is your specific creature example. But an Imp could use a Tiny longspear or glaive.

H_H_F_F
2023-06-22, 07:21 AM
The DMG disagrees.

Pg29

Pseudodragon tail is your specific creature example. But an Imp could use a Tiny longspear or glaive.

I believe Rules Compendium changed that.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-06-22, 08:18 AM
I believe Rules Compendium changed that.

The relevant quote is on page 150: "Tiny or smaller creatures gain no advantage from reach weapons"

Remuko
2023-06-22, 08:37 AM
The relevant quote is on page 150: "Tiny or smaller creatures gain no advantage from reach weapons"

thats a dumb, nonsensical change. at some point a reach weapon is going to have more than the "0ft" reach even on creatures that small. i don't agree with this change at all.

H_H_F_F
2023-06-22, 11:57 AM
thats a dumb, nonsensical change. at some point a reach weapon is going to have more than the "0ft" reach even on creatures that small. i don't agree with this change at all.

RAW is RAW :smallshrug:

Remuko
2023-06-22, 10:40 PM
RAW is RAW :smallshrug:

yup and sometimes RAW is dumb which is why we don't play by it.

Crichton
2023-06-23, 09:30 AM
Not a feat, but the spell Thunderlance(Spell Compendium p220) gives you a 'natural reach'(whatever that means) of 20ft, regardless of your size

SirNibbles
2023-06-23, 08:15 PM
For the sake of completeness:
Pebble Underfoot (Dragon Compendium Volume I, page 103): +4 to trip enemies at least two size categories larger than you. I don't think it's a great feat but most enemies will be at least two sizes larger than tiny.
Halfling's Cunning (Dragon Magazine #323, page 29) gives your nearby allies (but not you) a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls against larger enemies.