PDA

View Full Version : Summer solstice in the feywild - social troubles wanted

Caldwhyn
2023-06-20, 04:40 AM
My players managed to get into good enough graces with some fey, that they are (as very minor guests) invited to a fey party celebrating the summer solstice.

The summer court will of course be present in force but wildfey (being a separate faction in my game) will be hosting the event and a small-ish contingent of the winter court will be also present.

While I have several complications already in mind that could arise, I would be grateful for any input anyone of you could come up with.

This is more a social encounter situation than a brawl since the spilling of blood will be forbidden.

Licia
2023-06-20, 06:07 AM
One thing you could try is to have the various 3 courts trying to one up each other with the weird and fascinating mortals. Wrap the party up in increasingly bizarre and escalating dances, plays, or displays of whimsy. Personally a big fan of having the party participate in a retelling of a classic fairy tale and rolling performance checks and the better their checks the more they get into character... literally. Be that their bodies changing in some way to match their role or feeling urges that the fictional characters might.

I also really like the snail races and various mini games from The Wild Beyond the Witchlight.

Fey for me always tend to invoke that child-like view of the world, where they can do what ever they want and never have to suffer the consequences. So while this might mean that a Pixie sees nothing wrong with turning someone into a dog for a few hours other fey might *actually* be keeping mortals as pets and see nothing wrong with it (just as an example to get the mind going). How will the party react to something like that though? Will they cross that line of being a bad guest and ruin the party?

lall
2023-06-22, 05:18 PM
If any of the party members worship Titania or the other deities, that would be quite the opportunity. My fairy would ignore the very minor guest bit and try to get as much face time as possible with Titania. He’d offer his services including dealing with the other courts as needed and depending on his read of the situation and Titania, might mention the “lesser” courts part loudly and/or make eye contact with a lesser court member when saying “lesser courts”. But he’s a bard and a drama queen.

Unoriginal
2023-06-23, 03:38 AM
My players managed to get into good enough graces with some fey, that they are (as very minor guests) invited to a fey party celebrating the summer solstice.

The summer court will of course be present in force but wildfey (being a separate faction in my game) will be hosting the event and a small-ish contingent of the winter court will be also present.

While I have several complications already in mind that could arise, I would be grateful for any input anyone of you could come up with.

This is more a social encounter situation than a brawl since the spilling of blood will be forbidden.

One of the Winter Court's big names offers a dance to one of the PCs rather than to their Summer Court's counterpart, as is tradition.

Accepting has drastic consequences, both socially and metaphysically. Declining has drastic consequences both socially and metaphysically UNLESS it is done in a fashion the Fey can't object to/actially finds more funny or pleasant than the alternative.

Caldwhyn
2023-06-27, 12:03 AM
Just a quick shout out and thanks to all responders, I ran it successfully, used quite a bit of your ideas twisted a little bit to fit my setting and my players were completely blown away by this completely fight less rp intense session. They are so striving to get back there but alas as the setting is built, the borders between the planes only get thin at certain astronomical dates like the solstices and they are still a few levels of having access to plane shifting magic. Gives me ample time to prepare something for the autumn equinox or so