PDA

View Full Version : How to use fishing rods?

SangoProduction
2023-06-20, 10:47 PM
Have Hunter x Hunter going on in the background of my job search. MC pulls out a rod, and just yanks equipment towards himself.
It had me thinking if there is a way to do that, mechanically, in Pathfinder. Turns out there are.

#1 Crushing-Lancer
Simply enough, thanks to the explicit Author's Note, Crushing Thrower (Equipment sphere) lets you treat a thrown attack as a melee attack, even for melee-only abilities like the Lancer sphere. The Lancer sphere, meanwhile, lets you pull your target to you, in the same action as hitting it with a -2 penalty.
Probably the simplest and most straightforward method. Also perhaps the funniest, depending on how far you are able to throw.
The use of an acupuncture needle (spheres weapon) allows you to make 0-damage attacks as a touch attack. Which probably fits for a fishing hook. Those things bite, but you can't really argue that they are as damaging as getting stabbed with a dagger.

#2 Destructive Tether
Energy Tether in Destruction sphere attaches a tether to the target for a couple rounds. Thereafter, you can make combat maneuvers to move the attached target... if you exceed the distance of the tether. Also, it inflicts damage and whatever blast type talent you used each turn. Which may or may not be what you're looking for, with your fishing hook. Can only inflict one tether at a time.
It would make sense that you could reel them in with said combat maneuvers. (Same for if the DM rules that #1 doesn't work as written, and simply impales the target without moving them when done from range.)
There are also no clear rules for uncontested combat maneuvers. So presumably, if it's not contested, you would just be treated as cargo / equipment. I'd guess.

#3 Telekinetic Tether
In the Telekinesis sphere, you basically do as #2, but... you can have multiple, and it does no additional damage. And the length of the tether cannot be adjusted. Logically, one might be able to "reel" it in... then again, it's literally telekinetic magic, so who knows.
Talk to the GM, and explain your intended fluff, and it will probably go well enough, for most GMs.

#4 Roped In
Aberrant Body, from the Alteration sphere, grants a trait: Roper Strands. Ranged touch attacks to cling to targets in close range. No explicit method of reeling anyone in, only to prevent anyone from moving away without a maneuver. Again, talking to the DM will probably get you what you need out of it.

Nothing else springs to mind.

eBarbarossa
2023-06-21, 05:55 AM
Fishing rods can be used for a lot of things, as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEe-ZeVbTLo

SangoProduction
2023-06-21, 04:07 PM
Indeed it can.

SangoProduction
2023-06-25, 03:50 AM
Oh, I forgot Cloth Snake Puppetry.

While in this stance, you can use any long, flexible objects like strings, ropes, sashes, chains, etc. as an extension of your own body. As part of the action you use to enter this stance, you may draw or pick up an unattended object within reach capable of use with this talent. While holding such an object in your hand, you may use it to increase your natural reach for grabbing objects, manipulating objects, and performing the bull rush, dirty trick, disarm, drag, steal, and trip maneuvers. The increased reach is limited by the length of the object used, to a maximum of 10 feet.

For every 4 base attack bonus you possess, the maximum potential reach of the object increases by 5 feet and you gain a +1 bonus to CMB for combat maneuvers made with the object. These objects count as grappling hooks for the purposes of talents such as Get Over Here! and Rope Swing.

A fairly ridiculous little AoO-mancer talent, but I just like the flavor of it, and fits our needs perfectly. So long as our needs are limited in reach.