PDA

View Full Version : DM Danger's Way of the Wicked [OOC]

DM_Danger
2023-06-21, 02:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/WIZSGHA.png

LINK TO IC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?657348-DM-Danger-s-Way-of-the-Wicked-Part-I&p=25807067#post25807067)

There are things
I have done
There's a place
I have gone
There's a beast
And I let it run
Now it's running
My way
There are things
I regret
That you can't forgive
You can't forget
There's a gift
That you sent
You sent it
My way
So take this night
Wrap it around me like a sheet
I know I'm not forgiven
But I need a place to sleep
So take this night
And lay me down on the street
I know I'm not forgiven
But I hope that I'll be given
Some peace
There's a game
That I play
There are rules
I had to break
There's mistakes
That I made
But I made them
My way
So take this night
Wrap it around me like a sheet
I know I'm not forgiven
But I need a place to sleep
So take this night
And lay me down on the street
I know I'm not forgiven
But I hope that I'll be given
Some peace
Some peace
Some peace
—”This Night” Black Lab

"The Kingdom of Talingarde is the most noble, virtuous, peaceful nation in the known world. Herein is the story of how you burned this insipid paradise to the ground. It's only fair. They burned you first. They condemned you for your wicked deeds. They branded you. They shipped you to the worst prison in the kingdom. In three days, you die. In three days, the do-gooders pray they'll be rid of you. They've given you three days. The fools, that's more than you need to break out. And then, it will be their turn to face the fire."

Alright, I have played this a bunch, rarely gotten past the jailbreak, and now I am going to see how far can DM it. This Adventure Path assumes Evil characters, but also that those characters be non-Chaotic, willing to serve the devil-god Asmodeus and his worldly minions, and willing to cooperate with each other and achieve nothing more than TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION, or something to that effect. Being ambitious, power-hungry, and ruthless helps as well. Be warned, bits of it are also railroad-y. Please play along with the railroad and enjoy the ride. Also note, I may change name places things are my sensibilites dictate. Also please be sensible evil, PvP and silly evil, stupid evil, gross evil, and boring evil are strongly discouraged and may encounter falling rocks.

The Big Sixteen

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
Gestalt Pathfinder - you only get the one FCB per level, and non-half-elves only get to pick one of their classes as Favoured, as per usual. Make the combinations actually make sense, though. And remember, guile, wits and oratory talent will help you just as well as strength of arm in this AP.
2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
This is a homebrewed world specific to the Adventure Path, certain bits may stray from the as written module, but I will try to keep it in the spirit of the adventure.
3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
4 Minimun, 6 if we get some especially good applications. You may be considered as an alternate if we have drops or fatalities.
4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
These boards mostly.
5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
1/1, we will be doing Milestone Leveling
6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
0, you start in rags as prisoners.
7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
A rogue or someone who can pick locks will be useful for Stage 1 of the Game. Other than that, go nuts. Keep in mind that you will eventually expected to pledge yourself to Asmodeus.
8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
The game, will be taking place in a humano-centric Kingdom that dislikes non-humans. It would be in your best interest to be able to "pass for human" at least from a distance.
9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
25 Point Buy, Max HP for 1st level High Average thereafter (d4=3, d6=4, d8=5,d10=6, d12=7)
10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
You are Evil, you have done bad things. Try to play nice with others and don't be boring or gross.
11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Multiclass freely, we are doing Gestalt.
12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
We'll be using the forum dice-roller.
13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about?

Elephant in the Room Feats (https://michaeliantorno.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/)
Background Skills (If you have a combat use for a background skill (Bards, Path of War practicioner, etc) it doesn't count.)
Players get 1 standard Trait (2 with a flaw), and 1 Crime Trait
Anti-Paladins may of any evil Alignment
Cold Iron Shackles supress Arcane, Divine, and Psionic abilities.
I reserve the right to homebrew stuff as I see fit, but I will try not to blindside anyone.
14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Yes. At least a paragraph or two, but try not to do a whole book. Who are you? What made you the way you are? How did you get here? What do you want?
15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
A mix of all of the above. Planning and creative play are to be encouraged and rewarded, relying on the dice is not. If things are going overwhelmingly in the player's favor (or if you come up with a REALLY good plan), I am likely to handwave a scene rather than roll it out in excruciating detail.
16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
All standard Pathfinder is allowed, you can choosed chained or unchained as you will.
DSP Path of War is Approved
DSP Psionics are Approved
Spheres of Power and Spheres of Might are Approved (sorry, Spheres of Guile has not been digested yet)
3.5 content is available on approval (ask first, but shouldn't be a problem in most cases)

On Talingarde
https://i.imgur.com/IeSJYg3.jpg

Crime Traits

Arson
You have willfully started a fire that destroyed property. To be sent to Branderscar, you didn’t start just a minor little trash fre. Your act of arson threatened a major town, city, church or castle and likely cost someone their life. You’ll be punished for your crime by facing the fire yourself.
Punishment: Death by burning
Benefit: Whenever you score a critical hit with a fire attack, you receive a +2 fire damage bonus to your damage roll. This bonus is a trait bonus.

Attempted Murder
You tried to kill someone and botched the job. To be sent to Branderscar Prison, you did not try to kill just anyone. You likely assaulted someone of great importance and prominence.
Punishment: Death by beheading
Benefit: You gain a +2 trait bonus to Intimidate checks, and Intimidate is always a class skill for you.

Blasphemy
Either you have defamed the great god Mitra or you have been found guilty of worshipping one of the forbidden deities (who preeminent among them is Asmodeus).
Benefit: +2 trait bonus to Knowledge (religion) and Knowledge (religion) is always a class skill for you.

Consorting with the Dark Powers (Witchcraft)
You have been found guilty of summoning an evil outsider. Likely you were captured by the famed witch hunter Sir Balin of Karfeld. The last thing he said to you was, “May Mitra have mercy upon your wretched, damned soul.” If only you could get a chance at revenge!
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to Knowledge (planes) and Knowledge (arcana) checks, and one of these skills (your choice) is always a class skill for you.

Desecration
You have violated one of the churches, cathedrals or holy shrines of the great god Mitra. To be sent to Branderscar this was no minor act of vandalism. Instead you have done something flagrant and spectacular to dishonor the Shining Lord.
Benefit: You receive +1 trait bonus on all saving throws against divine spells.

Desertion
You have deserted from the Talirean military and been recaptured. To get sent to Branderscar this was not some minor or routine dereliction of duty. Instead, you abandoned your post during a time of crisis -- perhaps battle or while defending the Watch Wall. Regardless of the exact circumstances, your laziness and cowardness must have caused loss of life.
Punishment: Death by hanging
Benefit: You receive one bonus skill point per level that must be spent on the Profession (Soldier) skill. Profession (Soldier) is always a class skill for you.

Dueling unto Death
You have engaged in a duel to the death and mortally wounded an opponent. The opponent was honorable enough to say nothing before he expired. Alas that his family or companions was nowhere near so honorable. Dueling was once common in Talingarde before the House of Darius came to power. The House of Barca all but encouraged duels of honor. Now, dueling of any sort is punished severely. Dueling to the death is a sure way to be sent to Branderscar Prison.
Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus to Fortitude saves

Extortion
You have defrauded money from someone by holding information of their wrongdoing over their heads. To end up in Branderscar, this was no minor act of merely threatening to expose someone. Instead you have attempted extortion against someone of great prominence and for exorbitant stakes.
Punishment: Life at hard labor in the salt mines
Benefit: You receive a +2 trait bonus to Intimidate checks, and Intimidate is always a class skill for you.

Forgery
You have forged documents issued either by the crown or by the Church of Mitra. Alas, that your forgery while competent was not entirely undetectable. To be sent to Branderscar, this was no minor finagling of paperwork. This forged document could have cost lives, undermined the reputation of the Church or endangered the security of the realm.
Benefit: You gain a +3 trait bonus to Linguistics skill checks to commit forgery and Linguistics is always a class skill for you.

Fraud
You tried to bilk someone out of their cash. To end up in Brandescar Prison, this was no petty con job or penny ante racket. Instead, you brazenly tried to defraud someone important of a huge sum of money. And it almost worked too!
Benefit: You receive a +2 trait bonus to Bluff checks and Bluff is always a class kill for you.

Grave Robbery
It is forbidden by sacred law to dishonor a corpse after it is been sealed in its tomb by a clergy of the Mitran faith. Some may not honor this ban: necromancers, golem crafers, self-styled scientists, and alchemists delving into the forbidden secrets of life and death. These ghouls can expect no mercy from the Talirean Magistrates. And by sending you to Branderscar Prison, you have received none.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to confirm critical hits

Heresy
You have denied the supremacy of Mitra and been condemned for it. For this to be a crime, you were not content to keep your heresy to yourself. You tried to sway others. Likely you were captured by the famed witch hunter Sir Balin of Karfeld. The last thing he said to you
was: “Mitra may forgive you yet for your lies. Talingarde will not.” If only you could get a chance at revenge!
Punishment: Death by burning.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus on all saving throws against divine spells.

High Theft
You had a foolproof plan to steal some great treasure. Alas, the scheme had a fatal flaw and went horribly awry. To be sent to Branderscar prison, this was no ordinary robbery attempt. You tried to steal something of great value or religious significance.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to Reflex saves.

High Treason
You have willfully worked to bring down the current Monarch of Talingarde -- the beloved King Markadian V called the Brave of House Darius. To be successfully tried for High Treason you have done more than merely dislike the king, you did something tangible to undermine his rule. Alas, that you failed at your plot and are now headed to Branderscar Prison. Treason is the only crime that is still punished by the gruesome ritual of being drawn and quartered. Your stay at Branderscar will be brief.
Punishment: Death by drawing and quartering
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to Will saves.

Kidnapping
You have abducted someone perhaps to ransom them or do unspeakable things to them. Unfortunately, you were caught and your victim was rescued (if they weren’t rescued -- you would be guilty of murder instead). To be sent to Branderscar Prison, you must have abducted someone of great importance or in a particularly gruesome manner.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to both Disarm and Grapple attempts.

Murder
You have killed without just cause and been condemned for it. To be sent to Branderscar Prison, this was no typical killing but a particularly savage and unforgivable act. You may also have killed someone with powerful friends.
Note: You are not allowed to have killed someone in the royal family of Talingarde. You may have tried (his would instead be High Treason -- see above) but ultimately they are too well protected.
Benefit: You deal 1 additional point of damage when flanking a foe. This additional damage is a trait bonus.

Piracy
You have been caught in the act of piracy on the high seas. This is a rare crime these days since Markadian I, called the Victorious, burned the last major pirate fleet to threaten these isles. Still the crime is punished harshly. Likely you are the sole survivor of your ship.
Punishment: Death by hanging
Benefit: You may select either Bluff or Intimidate. The selected skill receives a +2 trait bonus and is always a class skill for you.

Sedition
You have attempted to covertly stir up rebellion against your rightful sovereign. This differs from high treason in that you attempted to convince others to make war against Talingarde instead of taking direct action yourself. A subtle difference to be sure. But it is the difference between receiving the swift justice of the axe instead of the slow suffering upon the rack.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to Bluff checks and Bluff is always a class skill for you. Further if you ever take the Leadership feat, you gain a +1 trait bonus to your Leadership score.

Slave-Taking
Slavery is illegal in Talingarde and a very rare crime. Still, once in a great while, slavers from the mainland will foolishly make an incursion into Talirean protected territories. When they are captured alive they are always made an example of.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to both Disarm and Grapple attempts.

Slave Trading
Slavery is legal in other parts of the world and it can be tempting to the most decadent of Talingarde’s nobility to acquire a “souvenir” when traveling abroad or to purchase the object of their desire from a less reputable merchant. However you ended up trading slaves in Talingarde, you were caught red handed and now you will lose more than simply your freedom.
Benefit: You receive one bonus skill point per level that must be spent on the Appraise

Links
Player's Guide (http://www.firemountaingames.com/Players_Guide.pdf)
Pathfinder Standard Reference Database (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/)
Spheres of Power (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/)

Props
I would like to credit and thank DrK and ChrisAsmadi for their previous recruitment threads which I shamelessly pillaged to produce this one.

DM_Danger
2023-06-21, 03:05 PM
Optional and Homebrew Rules:

Side Initiative
In side initiative, the players and monsters make a contested roll to see which faction gets the first turn. Players are free to choose in which order they want to act during their side's turn. The Players roll 1d20 plus the average of their initiative modifiers, the monsters are rolled likewise. Bonuses may be given for tactics, planning or situational considerations. The Party initiative modifier will be posted after the party has been determined, and the first player to post shall make the roll (the first posted roll shall be considered first). This is being implemented in the hope that it will make combat in php faster and simpler, and will allow less wait time as people are on different time zones, post rates, lifestyle crunches etc.

Week Long Rounds
In the interest of keeping combat flowing, and the beginning will be combat heavy, combat rounds will last for 1 week from the posting of initiative. At the end of 1 week, if you have not posted yet, the DM reserves the right to act on your behalf or have you hesitate for the round. Multiple weeks of absences may turn you into a DMPC or have your character step offstage for "reasons". Obviously, if circumstances require you to be away, please contact the DM. We all have lives, and considerations will be made.

Background Skills (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills/) are go.

Elephant in the Room Feat Taxes (https://michaeliantorno.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/) If you would get a feat as a class feature that has been eliminated by Feat Tax, we can work a substitution.

Players get 1 standard Trait (2 with a flaw), and 1 Crime Trait

Anti-Paladins may of any evil Alignment. Players must be evil. Players should try to cooperate, work as a team, and not kill each other unneccessarily.

I reserve the right to homebrew stuff as I see fit, but I will try not to blindside anyone.

DM_Danger
2023-06-21, 03:32 PM
Brandescar Prison Roster

Token
Player
Character
Race
Classes
Crime

https://i.imgur.com/l4ovUlN.png
Xav
Morgan Reinhart (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2800968)
HP: 11/11
AC/T/FF: 11/11/10
Init: -1
Perception: +7

Half Elf
Batal
Synthesis
High Treason

https://i.imgur.com/sCmxqJy.png
Sera Arvina (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2800972)
HP: 6/6
AC/T/FF: 12/12/10
Init: +4
Perception: +5

Human
Scholar
URogue (PT)
VMC Oracle
Blasphemy

https://i.imgur.com/LwngKax.png
bcool999
Rhialla Von Chalon (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2800895)
HP: 10/10
AC/T/FF: 14/14/10
Init: +4

Aasimar
Rajah
Dread
Sedition

https://i.imgur.com/5DQ6Nhm.png
The Throngler
Osmond Halbrin (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2801442)
HP: 8/8
AC/T?FF: 13/13/10
Init: +3

Tiefling(ish)
Scholar
Sphereshaper
Forgery

https://i.imgur.com/HW7R1Rl.png
Tonberrian
Vivian Astallon (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2802065)
HP: 13/14
AC/T/FF: 14/13/11
Init: +0

Human
Sentinel
Antipaladin
Consorting with Dark Powers

https://i.imgur.com/3IwAT3c.png
Infomatic
Fara Eiasale (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2025238)
HP: 10
AC/T/FF 18/15/16
Init: +2
Perception: +2

Human

Spiritualist
Soulweaver
Desecration

https://i.imgur.com/nIrRpao.png
Athleon
Hechter Kilbain (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2801412)
HP: 14/14
AC/T/FF: 14/14/10
Init: +0
Perception: +2

Human
Warder (Fiendbound Marauder)
Incanter
Kidnapping

Party Initiative Modifier: +2

DM_Danger
2023-06-21, 03:33 PM
Announcements

Here is where I will post relevant stuff, such as my summer vacation schedule.

OUT OF THE OFFICE TIL JULY 24th
Have a Happy Summer!

DM_Danger
2023-06-21, 03:35 PM
Here is where some maps and illustrations might go.
https://i.imgur.com/wCMx5Ot.jpg

DM_Danger
2023-06-21, 03:35 PM
This spot is reserved for future use

DM_Danger
2023-06-21, 03:36 PM
This one too.

DM_Danger
2023-06-21, 09:16 PM
Lords and Ladies, please make your introductions and pick your voice colors.

Athaleon
2023-06-21, 09:31 PM
Glad to have made the cut! Grey seems like a good color for Hechter Kilbain (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2801412).

2023-06-21, 09:53 PM
Sera Arvina (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2800972) will speak in bold teal.

Farholde, 20 years ago.

A tiny little slip of a girl splashes through the shore of Scardynn, a couple little friends in tow. She has crimson hair going down to her shoulders, piercing emerald eyes, and a strange birthmark on her palm. She trips over an unseen root, and skins her knee on a rock beneath the surface. She winces, leaning up and holding her knee. Unseen, the mark glows. The skin repairs. After a quick, quizzical examination, she figures that she must have imagined the skin broke because of how it hurt, when really all that happened is she'd bumped a rock during her tumble.

Farholde, 15 years ago.

A spry young lass swishes her legs back and forth in her seat, her eyes devouring the tome before her. Stories from the elders have sated her for quite some time, but when she begged them for more, she was allowed access to what books they had available, as long as she took good care with them. She read of ancient battles and royal lineages, angels and devils, past and present. She read of how Mitra had blessed the royal family, but between the lines it was obvious that half were blessed, at absolute best, with the others burdening the people with their mediocrity and madness. She thought she must have misunderstood, and resolved to ask later.

Farhold, 10 years ago.

A young lady, blossoming into a proper beauty. Despite her charms, however, boys held little interest for her. The feeling wasn't mutual, certainly, but few dared approach her so openly, if only because of the rumors. "It's not proper for a lass to spend a life nose-deep in books." "Ain't my place to say but what she asks after...it betrays a blasphemous mind, I think." "It's the Iraen in her blood, you know those savages were never quite comfortable with Mitra's faithful." Endless comments when her back was turned, just far enough away to never quite be sure who spoke, but just close enough to have strong suspicions. She paid them little mind. A night on the town with a sailor passing through had netted her a book of how to bind wounds and stave off disease. She needed a way to pull her own weight in the world, now that she was an adult proper, and this was something she could do even without magic.

Farhold, 5 years ago.

"You can't get something for nothing." It was both a philosophy, an admonition against requesting charity, and a warning against receiving it. Everyone has an agenda, everyone is out for themselves. Sure, there's some knights of the realm, and priests of Mitra, who can be trusted to be righteous in their hearts and ask nothing in return. But most folk just don't have enough to go giving it away without expecting something in return. So it was with the girl. When someone got sick, she would nurse them back to health; when someone was injured and didn't wish to bother the priests, she would stay by their side all night and make sure it was the best rest of their life. On rare occasions, when the situation was dire and there wasn't so much as an adept close enough to help, she would lay her hands on them and bind their wounds with her gift. The mark would glow and death would be staved off long enough for them to heal properly. For every act of kindness, all she asked was a meal, or maybe a book they wouldn't miss. People were rarely reluctant to pay, if only because they knew what she would ask before they even went to her.

And in the wee hours of the morning, when sleep eluded her, or was itself eluded as part of someone's treatment, she would find herself staring at her palm. At the mark upon it. At the mark from which her healing magic could flow. At the mark that was almost identical for an obscure symbol of Asmodeus found in a particularly old book she'd managed to talk her way into borrowing. And the warning echoed in her mind: "You can't get something for nothing."

Farhold, several weeks ago.

It was only a matter of time before someone else noticed. A troop of knights came through by boat, with intent to man Hamerhall. Among their number was a priest of House Barca, a wizened old elfblood of a man. It was just bad luck he came into the tavern as she was leaving. A polite wave sealed her fate. Every rumor that had built over the past decade came out in the ensuing investigation, every little favor she'd been owed just more evidence against her, and every answer she gave to prove her innocence just condemned her further. She was clapped in irons and shipped off to Branderscar. And a seed of uncertainty that had been planted in her soul years ago began blossoming into a pretty, deadly flower of hate.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/01/f1/42/01f14252cd5cdc84affb7ae46dc8beaf.jpg

tonberrian
2023-06-21, 10:35 PM
Vivian (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2802065) just feels very Fire Brick Bold.

infomatic
2023-06-21, 11:04 PM
Good evening! Fara (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2025238) will speak/shout/scowl in Purple

Xav
2023-06-22, 12:59 AM
Greetings and congrats to all who managed to get in!

https://gcdnb.pbrd.co/images/mmiQDbKSlV2Y.png?o=1
Morgan Reinhart (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2800968)
Half-Elf Batal Synthesist
AC: 11 (11 T/10 FF)
DR: -
HP: 11/11
Perception: +7
Initiative: -1
Conditions: restrained

"Speech" - actions, description, - "Speech"

Morgan's color will be Navy.

Week Long Rounds
In the interest of keeping combat flowing, and the beginning will be combat heavy, combat rounds will last for 1 week from the posting of initiative. At the end of 1 week, if you have not posted yet, the DM reserves the right to act on your behalf or have you hesitate for the round. Multiple weeks of absences may turn you into a DMPC or have your character step offstage for "reasons". Obviously, if circumstances require you to be away, please contact the DM. We all have lives, and considerations will be made.I'd even vote for a shorter period - two days/round or so, if it's convenient.

bcool999
2023-06-22, 01:28 AM
Hello everyone! Excited to make it into this one.

https://i.ibb.co/1RN1rG0/E7-A5-BFCB-93-CE-41-C2-A6-EC-1-EF466-CB31-AD.jpg
Rhialla Von Chalon (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2800895)
Aasimar Dread Rajah
AC: 14 (14 T/10 FF)
Initiative: +4
HP: 10/10
Crime: Sedition

Rhialla wishes for a speech color which will match her esteemed station, Goldenrod should serve.

@Xav, I decided to crib your table since it placed things so neatly to display Roster Information.

Xav
2023-06-22, 02:05 AM
@Xav, I decided to crib your table since it placed things so neatly to display Roster Information.Sure, feel free to use and copy - I myself took it from fellow players here.

TheThrongler
2023-06-22, 04:19 AM
Ok, glad to be here with you all. This looks like a fun group of ne'er-do-wells.

https://e7.pngegg.com/pngimages/66/597/png-clipart-dungeons-dragons-concept-art-character-role-playing-game-classical-characters-miscellaneous-game.png
Osmond Halbrin (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2801442)
Tiefling Sphereshaper/Scholar
AC: 13 (13 T/10 FF)
DR: 2/Blugeoning
HP: 8/8
Initiative: +3

"Speech" - actions, description, - "Speech"

Osmond's color will be Green.

So that it remains accessible, here is the information from Osmond's background:
The illegitimate (but oldest) son of Baron Leturo Halbrin III, Osmond was well-provided for in his youth with the understanding that he and his mother stay out of sight. Allowed to exist at the periphery of aristocratic society but never step into it, Osmond found employment in the offices responsible for handling lands and titles. Resentful of his illegitimacy, he began to provide false documentation of noble status for a price, exploiting both his knowledge of the documents and his exceptional talent with forgery. This went on for decades with additional varied schemes and cons and, in the interim, his mother passed away. In her belongings, he discovered a book detailing a ritual of binding which grants magical powers in exchange for a (seemingly) minor obeisance. Osmond did not hesitate to begin carrying out the daily ritual and using the expanded mystic talents to further his various schemes and scams and he suspects (rightly) that his mother used this magic to seduce the baron. He may have gotten away with it forever, if not for one of his fool clients. After six years of marriage to a countess's third daughter resulting in 2 children, one false noble revealed his deception to his wife, believing that they truly loved each other and she would be able to look past his common birth. He was, of course, wrong, and it did not take long for Osmond to be captured and questioned.

Knowing the fate that awaited him, and wanting to land one last blow against the system of titles and aristocracy that excluded him, Osmond confessed to many (but not nearly all) of his forgeries, including a half-dozen or so other false patents of nobility resulting in significant marriages with titles and lands at stake. Some of the offspring had already reach the age of majority and been knighted (and some married), further complicating the issue. He also included the names of several other individuals of lesser (but still noble) heritage, and falsely admitted to forging their documents as well, attempting to sow as much doubt and distrust as possible. Finally, he revealed his infernal heritage and (again, falsely) laid the responsible for his fiendish origin with his father, the Baron Halbrin, to sully his reputation and that of his lineage. With nothing left to lose, Osmond now uses the Baron's name openly as his own despite never having been legitimized; what more could they do to him?
---
The Baron of Brinehall, Baron Leturo Halbrin III, has 5 legitimate sons and one daughter. The eldest of these five sons, Leturo IV, is a Mitran paladin of some renown. No one would mistake Leturo IV for a clever man, but his towering frame and reputation for valor have earned him the moniker, "the Bull of Brinehall." While every inch the paladin, the Bull is beyond prideful and sees his continued military and martial success as proof of his innate superiority. Even the keeping of his knightly vows reinforces this self-image; if he can defeat scoundrels and brigands unrestrained by such codes while still preserving his sense of honor, well, that's like beating an enemy left-handed.

Dinreya Halbrin, the Baron's only daughter and his youngest child at 28 years old, is already widowed. Unbeknownst to all, she is secretly an Asmodean cultist and disposed of her husband to free herself from the responsibilities of married life. Osmond's public declarations and accusations have complicated Dinreya's own schemes, and she is quite displeased with her half-brother. While she technically has other lands left to her by her husband's death, she still spends most of her time at Brinehall, near the other cultists that she knows and the people she has manipulated over a lifetime into trusting her as the very image of a dutiful noblewoman.

Brinehall is an Eastern, coastal estate, and the hereditary home of the Halbrins. Subject to fierce oceanic winds in the spring, Brinehall is primarily a fishing estate (though Dinreya has recently convinced the family to begin harvesting salt from the sea water as part of some inscrutable plan of her own). I have been imagining the estate as close to the city of Daveryn, but it can be anywhere along the coast that is convenient and useful for the story.
---
Each day, Osmond must mark a specific, mysterious glyph over his heart that he found in his mother's book while invoking some unknown words in a language that is old beyond reckoning. This can be done with alchemical reagents, and then ignited to char the glyph onto his breast (harmlessly, due to his native fire resistance). If he chooses to reduce his maximum HP for the day instead, this represents scratching the glyph into his flesh with his fingernails or a small blade (with the marks/wounds magically healing the next day, leaving clean, bare skin). In either event, when the ritual is complete, a second glyph, slightly different, appears gradually on the opposite side as if being drawn by an unseen hand. I imagine the glyph is either associated with his specific fiendish ancestor, or is an especially archaic and obscure glyph of Asmodeus.

You said that I would be unable to perform the ritual in the prison, but the Oath rules indicate that there is no actual penalty for being forced to break your oath or prevented from keeping it (it has to be voluntary to face the defiance penalty or have to atone). Right now I don't have any actual benefit listed from the Ritual, and we can leave that as it stands or work something out later on at your discretion; nor now, the ritual is just part of the character and his backstory.
---
I tried to lean hard into the Tiefling theme without taking anything that made him unable to pass for human. This means an emphasis on the three spheres that seem most associated with Tieflings; Destruction, Mind, and Illusion. He is a manipulator at heart, and an excellent one, with all the scruples of an inveterate conman; his bluff checks to lie and his forgeries are remarkable in quality. He can use illusions to mislead, or put a guard to sleep with his magic, and is a capable warrior in his own right; his ability to summon armor/weapons/shields from his akashic veils lets him reach a quite respectable 25 AC. Despite a high Intelligence, I did not focus heavily on Knowledge skills (though I may in the future); instead, I wanted to turn him into an adept deceiver and schemer, not a true scholar/sage. Finally, although he is not a full caster, he will be able to keep up through at least 4th level without falling behind (and would not lose a caster level until 13th if the DM permits the Practiced Spellcaster feat from 3.5). Between Scholar's Knacks and his base talent progression, Osmond should be able to adapt to fill a useful role regardless of the composition of the rest of the party.

As I worked on Osmond I started leaning more into the dark mage angle, and I'm pleased with how that turned out. I've started envisioning him as a kind of anti-knight, familiar enough with the codes of honor to use them to his own benefit and to manipulate the chivalry, sometimes following the letter of the codes while twisting the spirit. Despite facility with both combat and magic, Osmond's most deadly weapons are still his keen mind and forked tongue.

DM_Danger
2023-06-22, 09:14 AM
The IC is now live, have fun rotting in prison! (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?657348-DM-Danger-s-Way-of-the-Wicked-Part-I&p=25807067#post25807067)

Added you all to the roster, I made "liberties" with some of the tokens, if you would prefer something else, please let me know.

TheThrongler
2023-06-23, 04:19 PM
Do we have any notion of whether it's day or night?

Osmond has a plan, but wants to wait until night to try to slip out of his bonds (and if we're supposed to be waiting for a story beat, of course, Osmond will do that).

DM_Danger
2023-06-23, 05:39 PM
It is currently night. There is indeed an upcoming story beat in the morning, just thought we could get in a little rp.

DM_Danger
2023-06-24, 05:41 PM
Added a map, keep it up, loving the banter.

Xav
2023-06-24, 05:51 PM
Since we hadn't discussed our degree of familiarity beforehand, I wonder, should we make nobility checks to find out, what do we know about each other, as there are five nobles among us.

TheThrongler
2023-06-24, 06:51 PM
Osmond deliberately tried to raise as much of a scandal as possible after his arrest, it would be quite likely that anyone who pays attention would have heard of "the Bastard of Brinehall."

infomatic
2023-06-24, 11:07 PM
Plus Rhialla, Vivian and Fara are all within a few years of each other. I've dialed down Fara's family social status a bit from the initial draft, with her father now more of wealthy trader than noble (so new money, in other words) but it wouldn't be surprising if they'd gone to the same parties at some point.

Athaleon
2023-06-25, 07:55 PM
Hechter is from nobility, but given his background it's doubtful anyone would know him (though they may have heard of his family), or that he would have met anyone else—he wasn't out In Society after all. The best he could do is Nobility or History checks to see if he'd somehow come across the other families in his reading.

bcool999
2023-06-26, 10:57 AM
Rhialla very much dived into the waters of noble Society. If you were Somebody she probably heard or met you. Otherwise to her you’d be a Nobody.

Of course with current circumstances, Rhialla is a Nobody to.

DM_Danger
2023-06-26, 11:32 AM
I am going to say, it is all very much up to you, any one with ranks in nobility will have at least heard of your family, and noble gossip is the best kind, so it is really a matter of how long and how thoroughly you have been sequestered.

TheThrongler
2023-06-26, 01:03 PM
Osmond is ready to move forward whenever. He's now just trying to conserve his strength for whatever comes next and get a little sleep if possible.

Xav
2023-06-26, 01:11 PM
Same. Not much to do/discuss.

bcool999
2023-06-26, 09:00 PM
Same here. See what the story beat brings and work it from there.

2023-06-26, 09:55 PM
Yup. Wait for a good opportunity for folks to take 20 breaking hooks, and then we can really get going.

tonberrian
2023-06-26, 10:58 PM
Vivian stronk.

TheThrongler
2023-06-27, 07:33 PM
So, when the time comes, what do we think about the guest in the Max? I'm on the fence about breaking them out and using them, or leaving them to try to remain stealthy.

Xav
2023-06-27, 08:54 PM
I'm for stealthy approach, at least at the start. Still, letting potential ally to rot in prison is too generous for our enemies, so, after some stealthy work is done, I'd have freed him.

TheThrongler
2023-06-27, 08:59 PM
So, maybe clear the first guard room sneakily, then bust our neighbor out to act as a battering ram afterwards? I had considered that, seems reasonable.

Xav
2023-06-27, 09:20 PM
At least four of us are capable of stealth, so, I'd even have tried to keep it quiet a bit more. But then, there are plans, and there is reality, where plans usually go to hell.

Btw, great new art!

TheThrongler
2023-06-28, 10:10 PM
The waiting is particularly painful.

infomatic
2023-06-28, 10:52 PM
I'm good with stealthy approach initially, but we could also let out Max to draw attention (and arrows) from the guards.

2023-06-28, 11:09 PM
lmk what checks I need to roll if any. I can see plausible reasons for Bluff, K/Arcana, Perception, and Sense Motive. And whatever "commit stuff to memeory" would be, I guess. Straight Int, hopefully. :P

DM_Danger
2023-06-29, 11:19 AM
lmk what checks I need to roll if any. I can see plausible reasons for Bluff, K/Arcana, Perception, and Sense Motive. And whatever "commit stuff to memeory" would be, I guess. Straight Int, hopefully. :P

You can memorize whatever you like, not going to nitpick that stuff.
Generally speaking, I don't ask for many rolls outside of combat, if you ask me something or do something outside of combat, and you have a reasonable chance of doing it/knowing it, you do it, or I tell you what you want to know especially if it is important to the story. If it is unimportant, I might make you roll anyways, for I tend to make fumbles (1s) into plot complications, and critical successes into to unexpected plot windfalls. Combat and THINGS THAT count, do get rolls, but when we are in narrative mode, you guys are the god damn (anti) heroes. Secret Doors, Traps, Treasure and what not are meant to be found (if you look for them). Play the character, not the dice, and I will do my best to make you guys look cool and have fun.

That being said, you may roll:
Knowledge Arcana
Knowledge Planes
Knowledge Architecture and Engineering
Perception
Sense Motive
Bluff (Let me know what your bluff is)
Spellcraft (nm, you aren't trained in it)

2023-06-29, 11:55 AM
You can memorize whatever you like, not going to nitpick that stuff.
Generally speaking, I don't ask for many rolls outside of combat, if you ask me something or do something outside of combat, and you have a reasonable chance of doing it/knowing it, you do it, or I tell you what you want to know especially if it is important to the story. If it is unimportant, I might make you roll anyways, for I tend to make fumbles (1s) into plot complications, and critical successes into to unexpected plot windfalls. Combat and THINGS THAT count, do get rolls, but when we are in narrative mode, you guys are the god damn (anti) heroes. Secret Doors, Traps, Treasure and what not are meant to be found (if you look for them). Play the character, not the dice, and I will do my best to make you guys look cool and have fun.

That being said, you may roll:
Knowledge Arcana
Knowledge Planes
Knowledge Architecture and Engineering
Perception
Sense Motive
Bluff (Let me know what your bluff is)
Spellcraft (nm, you aren't trained in it)

Truthfully I think I just said Bluff by reflex, I think the only thing I'd wanna bluff about (disguising suspicious conversation as something innocent) was taken care of by her charming the guards away. And yeah untrained spellcraft (for now anyway) means magic item identification will have to be done by someone else later.

K/Arcana: [roll0]
K/Planes: [roll1]
K/Engineering: [roll2]
Perception: [roll3]
Sense Motive: [roll4]

Xav
2023-06-29, 02:19 PM
Play the character, not the dice, and I will do my best to make you guys look cool and have fun.I like this approach.

K/Arcana: (1d20+9)[24]
K/Planes: (1d20+10)[27]
K/Engineering: (1d20+9)[17]
Perception: (1d20+5)[14]
Sense Motive: (1d20+5)[21]
Now these are some great rolls.

DM_Danger
2023-06-29, 06:04 PM
Truthfully I think I just said Bluff by reflex, I think the only thing I'd wanna bluff about (disguising suspicious conversation as something innocent) was taken care of by her charming the guards away. And yeah untrained spellcraft (for now anyway) means magic item identification will have to be done by someone else later.

K/Arcana: [roll0]
K/Planes: [roll1]
K/Engineering: [roll2]
Perception: [roll3]
Sense Motive: [roll4]

Knowledge Arcana: There is definately magic afoot, and the veil seems enchanted, if only you had continued your studies.
Knowledge Planes: You thought you knew something...and then you forgot it (See In Character).
Knowledge Engineering: The Prison seems a bit run down, and ill maintained.
Perception: On your way through the Guard Room, you noticed they hang the keys to the cells and manacles on a peg right next to the door.
Sense Motive: She seems genuine enough if toying with you.

TheThrongler
2023-06-30, 09:18 AM
The memory stuff is spooky, I like it. Not being able to trust your own mind has always been a special kind of horror for me.

Xav
2023-07-01, 05:36 AM
I suggest skipping to the night. Of course, if noone is going to demand answers from Sera.

2023-07-01, 05:50 AM
I suggest skipping to the night. Of course, if noone is going to demand answers from Sera.

I second that

TheThrongler
2023-07-01, 09:01 AM
I also approve of the timeskip.

DM_Danger
2023-07-01, 06:49 PM
If the rest of the team concurs, I have no problem jumping ahead.

infomatic
2023-07-01, 09:17 PM
Good with me

tonberrian
2023-07-01, 09:54 PM
Fine with me.

TheThrongler
2023-07-02, 12:07 PM
Just so these things are clarified for if/when we slip our bonds:

We will start with prepared spells ready, correct?
And akashic veils will be shaped, having been suppressed by the manacles?

Just wanted to check, since both are "requires 8 hours rest, 1 hour preparation" families of abilities, it would affect our tactics if we needed to find that time before we started.

Athaleon
2023-07-02, 01:49 PM
If the rest of the team concurs, I have no problem jumping ahead.

I'm good with it.

bcool999
2023-07-02, 02:04 PM
Also good with a time skip but curious about ability to shape veils once free of the manacles.

DM_Danger
2023-07-02, 05:14 PM
Just so these things are clarified for if/when we slip our bonds:

We will start with prepared spells ready, correct?
And akashic veils will be shaped, having been suppressed by the manacles?

Just wanted to check, since both are "requires 8 hours rest, 1 hour preparation" families of abilities, it would affect our tactics if we needed to find that time before we started.

Veils shaped and spells prepared.

2023-07-02, 11:15 PM
K/Local: [roll0]

DM_Danger
2023-07-03, 12:11 AM
Grumblejack the Ogre. Grumblejack is one of the very few ogres still alive on the Isle of Talingarde. He was rumored to be lurking in a moor close to Brandescar, making a moderate living as a highwayman. Apparently he must have gotten too successful.

DM_Danger
2023-07-03, 11:27 PM
Nothing to see here

[roll0]

TheThrongler
2023-07-04, 07:58 AM
Well, I tried to get out quietly. I don't think I could have gotten much better than a +7 modifier to escape artist. I guess I'm going to hang on the wall for a while until freed.

Xav
2023-07-04, 08:33 AM
Hey, it's totally fine if our characters make noise or fulfill not-so-optimal moves - it's just a good reason to react and roleplay.

2023-07-04, 08:51 AM
The guards are 80 ft down a hallway and also sleeping off drinks. Diegetically, as long as we don't make a proper racket, we're probably in the clear up until we get to the actual "sneak into the guard post to steal keys/kill guards" part. Narratively, we all wanna get past the prison part, since these games rarely get past that part, so as long as we're not too blatantly breaking the story by screaming bloody murder while we do it, we've probably got a bit of leeway on making noise right now. Mechanically, they're taking like a -20 circumstance penalty or something. We could theoretically beat the crap out of a guard who entered our cell, and depending on how badly they roll, the guards sleeping off drinks down the long hall might not even notice.

Athaleon
2023-07-04, 10:35 AM
Vivian could maybe unhook Hechter by climbing onto his shoulders, without having to break any more hooks. The rest can be freed similarly, or with just a little bending as mentioned.

TheThrongler
2023-07-04, 11:44 AM
That's as good an idea as any. Osmond doesn't have the strength to break free and his best efforts to shimmy out of the manacles weren't enough, so I'm stuck spectating for now like everyone else. I get the narrative utility of having it so each of us contributes in a specific way to getting out, I'm just pointing out that I'm unable to do anything to progress the story and others will have to do so for now.

Athaleon
2023-07-06, 02:49 PM
Hechter could break his hook, then go around unhooking everyone, but I was planning to wait to see if Osmond could use the thieves tools to free us all quietly.

TheThrongler
2023-07-06, 02:52 PM
I would be happy to try, but someone would literally need to put them in my hands since I'm still on the wall.

EDIT: Editing this in because of the rule against double-posting, but come on guys. Let's try to keep moving, we can keep the game alive!

DM_Danger
2023-07-07, 06:46 PM
Okay, so Vivian is off the wall, but manacled, Sera has the Veil and the picks to open the manacles, but is on the wall and cannot pick locks. Osmond can pick locks, but is manacled and on the wall. Morgan identified the Veil, and directed the Veil to be passed to Osmond (you can pick the locks while still hooked, just at a slight disadvantage) so that he can pick the locks...So what is the hold up?

TheThrongler
2023-07-07, 07:36 PM
I think we're waiting for Vivian to conjure the lockpicks out of the veil and hand them to Osmond to try to pick his locks. She could also try to free Hechter to take us down off the wall first, but that may be unnecessary.

Athaleon
2023-07-07, 07:37 PM
Seems the holdup is that Vivian needs to give the veil to Osmond.

If that is not forthcoming, Hechter will break his own hook, noise be damned. If we're still undetected, he will unhook the rest, take the veil from the temporarily catatonic Vivian and give it to Osmond.

2023-07-07, 07:52 PM
I thought I'd already passed the veil around, hence it getting identified.

EDIT: If someone is free, they're able to move items from person to person, so that shouldn't be an issue. They can get the veil, take out the picks, give them to osmond, who can get us all unlocked slowly.

tonberrian
2023-07-07, 11:07 PM
Assume Vivian figured out to grab the tools if necessary. I think that's all I need to do to get us going again.

DM_Danger
2023-07-08, 07:58 PM
*Whistles Innocently*
[roll0]

TheThrongler
2023-07-08, 08:20 PM
Oof, glad a natural 1 isn't an automatic failure on a skill check.

tonberrian
2023-07-08, 10:21 PM
I want to make clear Vivian has dex 7. She has no stealth. we will be fighting people.

TheThrongler
2023-07-08, 10:45 PM
Oh, we'll definitely be fighting people and causing a ruckus. But if that first fight can start with, say, Morgan beside one sleeping guard and Osmond beside the other, just going ham with a surprise round, it will be shorter and easier. I anticipate us "going loud" as soon as we heal/release our neighbor in the Max, but there are some things that can set us up for success when that happens: taking any armor off the guards and putting it on some of us would be one such thing, and that's easier to find time for if they don't know we're free. It might also be possible for the sneaky ones among us to step in and take their weapons, or disable/block whatever they would use to call for help (if they have a gong or bell or something).

Xav
2023-07-09, 01:26 AM
Exactly. In fact, I can do a full-scale reconnaissance if we deal with the nearest guards quietly.

I'd like to clarify, does Fara really gain her powers from Mitra, or she only believes so? In the first case it might cause some real complications in future.

Athaleon
2023-07-09, 08:57 AM
On that note, I suppose it'd be a good time to ask about the Magical Signs drawback that Hechter has.

Your magic is accompanied by tell-tale signs; for example, your body glows brightly, the sound of tortured souls shriek as you cast, a deep chill affects all nearby creatures, etc. Using magic automatically breaks stealth, and whenever you use magic all creatures within 60 feet who are observing you are considered to have automatically succeeded at a Spellcraft check to know which sphere effect, talents, and casting tradition you used.

Something shadow-themed would seem appropriate, which brings up the question of whether a sleeping person would "automatically" notice something purely visible in nature. Hechter has a very good scouting ability (Shadow Lurk (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/dark#toc49)) but actually casting it may cause us to be detected, depending.

DM_Danger
2023-07-09, 08:00 PM
I want to make clear Vivian has dex 7. She has no stealth. we will be fighting people.

A 7 is not an automatic failure, nor will it make the group necessarily autofail a stealthy exfil. But yes, you are probably not the best person to sneak up on people.

On that note, I suppose it'd be a good time to ask about the Magical Signs drawback that Hechter has.

Something shadow-themed would seem appropriate, which brings up the question of whether a sleeping person would "automatically" notice something purely visible in nature. Hechter has a very good scouting ability (Shadow Lurk (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/dark#toc49)) but actually casting it may cause us to be detected, depending.

Well, it will not automatically alert the sleeping guards, especially if you didn't do it close to the door, but strange lights coming from the cell windows...might have to roll to see if someone notices that oddness.

DM_Danger
2023-07-09, 08:01 PM
Oof, glad a natural 1 isn't an automatic failure on a skill check.

Yeah, but a 1 does allow the DM to introduce a complication, like a potentially squeaky door.

Xav
2023-07-10, 10:19 AM
Judging by the image of the prison floor, there are no windows (except maybe at the guards door). So, now we have three variants - pick the lock, greasing the hinges beforehand; use the window patch (I'll make a post mentioning it, a bit later); or use Hechter's variant.

bcool999
2023-07-10, 11:07 AM
Sorry for the delay in my daily prep stuff! Was at a convention the last couple days and was exhausted.

TheThrongler
2023-07-10, 11:14 AM
Judging by the image of the prison floor, there are no windows (except maybe at the guards door). So, now we have three variants - pick the lock, greasing the hinges beforehand; use the window patch (I'll make a post mentioning it, a bit later); or use Hechter's variant.

That window seems like a good thing to keep as an ace in the hole. As such, my recommendations are either greasing and opening the door, or using Hechter's idea.

Incidentally, if there are windows in the cells, can we tell how high up we are?

infomatic
2023-07-10, 12:25 PM
I'd like to clarify, does Fara really gain her powers from Mitra, or she only believes so? In the first case it might cause some real complications in future.

Sorry, missed this. She only believes so … with no real evidence besides she didn't have any of this stuff before she was raised. In truth, it could be possession from beyond the grave, or manipulation from an archdevil or standard "came back wrong" scenario. She simply blames Mitra for it b/c she's apt to blame the church for everything.

Xav
2023-07-10, 12:48 PM
We're on the second floor, Morgan can tell it, if anybody asks.

DM_Danger
2023-07-10, 07:41 PM

There are windows in the cell area. Anyone knowledgeable in Architechture, History, or Nobility will know that Brandescar is not a purpose built prison, but a confiscated castle that was repurposed. You are on the second floor of what you can presume to be the Great Hall. Judging by the floor, wooden partition walls were removed and steel bars were installed to make cells. The floor used to have several large windows to let natural light in, but they have been partially bricked up and barred to still let light and ventilation in. The bars are about eight feet up (its about 12 feet to the ceiling), but you could probably stand on someones shoulders to take a peek of the outside.

Sorry for the delay in my daily prep stuff! Was at a convention the last couple days and was exhausted.

No problem, having a life is a good thing, welcome back and thank you for sticking with us.

That window seems like a good thing to keep as an ace in the hole. As such, my recommendations are either greasing and opening the door, or using Hechter's idea.

Incidentally, if there are windows in the cells, can we tell how high up we are?

You are about 15 feet up. With the door greased, you have a VERY good chance of assassinating the guards in the guard room.

TheThrongler
2023-07-10, 08:14 PM
You know, I was initially grossed out by Osmond harvesting fat from the day-old corpse of a snakeman. Then I realized he's a necromancer and can even use the heal skill on undead, it's perfect that "let's use that guy's corpse!" was his first reaction.

infomatic
2023-07-10, 11:08 PM
It is appropriate, I agree. (Fara is too humorless to make such a joke, but I immediately began poking around for the origin of the term "snake oil salesman" and it's fascinating. (http://https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/08/26/215761377/a-history-of-snake-oil-salesmen) (Link goes to National Public Radio).

TheThrongler
2023-07-11, 04:37 PM
@bcool99: it IS the door to the guardroom that we're trying to avoid making noise, not the door to the Max. I think we all agree that dealing with the guards first is the right thing to do, but we can't get to the guards without opening the door, and opening it without these steps loses the element of surprise.

EDIT: I feel ok with burning a SP on that disable device to open the door. We don't want to be there taking 20 and potentially waking them up, and I don't think taking 10 for a 19 opens any locks at all.

Athaleon
2023-07-11, 05:46 PM
Spellcraft: [roll0]

Trying to use a length of chain as an improvised gauntlet for Casting Focus purposes.

bcool999
2023-07-12, 12:23 AM
Ah. Misunderstanding on my part. Onwards towards the guards we go.

tonberrian
2023-07-12, 06:22 PM
Hey so quick question does anybody have healing powers or a high heal skill? I might have made a small mistake during character creation where I am very susceptible to bleed damage.

TheThrongler
2023-07-12, 06:31 PM
Don't worry, at least 3 of us are capable healers. Sera is going to be able to do absolute wonders with just a heal check, Fara has channel energy for magical healing, and Osmond can do the same kind of thing that Sera does, but to a lesser extent and will always require a Healer's Kit to do it (whereas I think Sera can do some healing without one, due to Healer's Hands).

2023-07-12, 06:44 PM
Hey so quick question does anybody have healing powers or a high heal skill? I might have made a small mistake during character creation where I am very susceptible to bleed damage.

I have good news! We have two Scholars, and one of them (me) is actually basically going all-in on abusing "nonmagical healing" stuff. Salves, medical training, unchained heal, and healer's hands will be getting combined to pump out ludicrous amounts of HP/temp HP every day for all of us. Admittedly, this is the level where I'm the worst at it.

And by "worst at it", I mean that I can only give each of you 6d8+72.75 HP worth of healing per day, and none of the extra healing will get converted to temp HP. Sorry about that, I'll have that last bit fixed as soon as we level.

(Also that's not quite as good as it sounds. Hitting that maximum every single day would require us to acquire like 4 healer's kits per day, as well as require Sera to spend 10.5 hours per day making salves...and those gp/time requirements are only going to increase as levels increase. Realistically, even if we run this campaign through to it's conclusion I doubt we'll ever hit a point in a day where Sera can't give you more healing, and a bit more to the point I hope we don't because that would mean we're basically constantly getting our asses kicked by stuff that's way out of our league.)

Don't worry, at least 3 of us are capable healers. Sera is going to be able to do absolute wonders with just a heal check, Fara has channel energy for magical healing, and Osmond can do the same kind of thing that Sera does, but to a lesser extent and will always require a Healer's Kit to do it (whereas I think Sera can do some healing without one, due to Healer's Hands).

Unfortunately my non-sphere healing is pretty wimpy right now. 1/day I can spend a full round action to heal a single person of 0-2 HP (average 0.85). At lvl 4...it's going to get a lot cooler. But right now it's pretty lame, which is why I'm glad this veil of many items seems to have two healer's kits in it.

TheThrongler
2023-07-12, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately my non-sphere healing is pretty wimpy right now. 1/day I can spend a full round action to heal a single person of 0-2 HP (average 0.85). At lvl 4...it's going to get a lot cooler. But right now it's pretty lame, which is why I'm glad this veil of many items seems to have two healer's kits in it.

That 1/day limitation is a problem right now, for some reason I was remembering the feat incorrectly (Int/day rather than ranks/day). Once we learn about each other and coordinate better we can get at least another +4 on the check outside of combat (+2 from Aid Another and +2 from a Mind Sphere Lesser Inspiration). Not great, but I know your healing build picks up quickly. For now, we do still have options, though, thanks to Fara and those kits. I have a feeling our kind and benevolent DM, unrivaled in wisdom and always able to plug in the USB cord the correct way on the first try, may have included them to help us out with that.

2023-07-12, 07:19 PM
That 1/day limitation is a problem right now, for some reason I was remembering the feat incorrectly (Int/day rather than ranks/day). Once we learn about each other and coordinate better we can get at least another +4 on the check outside of combat (+2 from Aid Another and +2 from a Mind Sphere Lesser Inspiration). Not great, but I know your healing build picks up quickly. For now, we do still have options, though, thanks to Fara and those kits. I have a feeling our kind and benevolent DM, unrivaled in wisdom and always able to plug in the USB cord the correct way on the first try, may have included them to help us out with that.

I'm also doing VMC Oracle to pick up Healing Hands revelation (+4 to Heal, and whenever I do Treat Deadly Wounds, I can target two people instead of one). Partly doing that because weak interpretation is that it's faster healing (two uses of healer's hands with the same action) and strong interpretation is that it's more healing (same uses per day, affecting two people each time). But I'm also doing it partly because I'm leaning into the magical healing coming straight from Big A, which should make for some fun RP down the line. Plus, it tickles me to combine Healer's Hands and Healing Hands for shenanigans.

Xav
2023-07-13, 01:55 AM
In my personal opinion, we are totally drowning in healing. Funny, but I can hardly remember another game that had such an abundance of healers among the characters. We have five characters, capable of healing. Morgan and Rhialla via Radiant Dawn, in fact, possess unlimited healing out of combat.

Actually, we might open an Infernal hospital.

bcool999
2023-07-13, 01:06 PM
I have always been leery about using Radiant Dawn for Out of Combat healing. Throwing haymakers at each other to heal up is just silly munchkin stuff.

Xav
2023-07-13, 01:45 PM
With our setup I'm thinking of skipping the healing maneuvers at all.

By the way, so far only four of us have stated their actions. We are close to freedom (relative), let's not get stuck.

DM_Danger
2023-07-13, 04:25 PM
Spellcraft: [roll0]

Trying to use a length of chain as an improvised gauntlet for Casting Focus purposes.

You succeed, sort of. Wrapping the chain around your arm, you manifest a grip, but it is not the one that you are used to. It is more of a spiked chain than a tradition grip, like something a kyton might wield, congratulations, you have invented your own variation of the Fiendish Marauder style. Unfortunately, you are not familiar with this weapon, unless you take WP: Spiked Chain, you will be at -2 to hit with this Grip variant.

DM_Danger
2023-07-13, 04:26 PM
*Whistles Innocently*
[roll0]

Athaleon
2023-07-13, 06:05 PM
You succeed, sort of. Wrapping the chain around your arm, you manifest a grip, but it is not the one that you are used to. It is more of a spiked chain than a tradition grip, like something a kyton might wield, congratulations, you have invented your own variation of the Fiendish Marauder style. Unfortunately, you are not familiar with this weapon, unless you take WP: Spiked Chain, you will be at -2 to hit with this Grip variant.

Cool beans. Will it serve normally as a Casting Focus?

DM_Danger
2023-07-13, 06:06 PM
Cool beans. Will it serve normally as a Casting Focus?

Yes, it will do so admirably.

TheThrongler
2023-07-13, 06:41 PM
I wasn't expecting the chimney/fireplace to be an option, that's interesting. It would, however, probably require leaving our friend in the Max behind. He could still be used to cause a distraction, letting him loose inside while we try to get out quietly, but he might not approve of that plan (though I have a few workarounds for that possibility).

I still think holding on to the window is a better idea than using it: that's an incredibly useful thing to have in case we need it, and we won't necessarily know what's on the other side until we use it.

tonberrian
2023-07-17, 05:44 PM
Do we have a list of what these guards were carrying so I can take their stuff? I would like armor.

DM_Danger
2023-07-17, 06:27 PM
Do we have a list of what these guards were carrying so I can take their stuff? I would like armor.

They have a signal horn in case of trouble on a peg next to the key to all the cells and all the manacles near the door. Rolf and Thom were both equipped with a chain shirt, heavy steel shield, longsword, dagger, leather club, light crossbow with 20 bolts, and a key. Thom has 5 cp, a pouch of tobacco, a pipe, and 12 tindertwigs. Rolf has 1 sp, 4cp, and a deck of cards.

DM_Danger
2023-07-18, 05:26 PM
Alright kids, I am going to be of limited availability until Monday, July 24th. In that time, please arrive at a consensus as to whether you wish to slip as stealthily as possible out of Brandescar or exact your pound of flesh on the way out. Either way, has little impact on the overall plot, you will get mostly the same experience and achieve the same goals. If you choose violence, there is more loot, but more risk of death or capture, keep in mind, due to the gestalt and party size, I am going to have to beef up Brandescar security a bit. If you choose stealth, it is certainly safer, but less rewarding. As for pursuit...an embarrassing prison escape is one thing, a prison riot with no survivors at one of the crown's institutions is something different.

tonberrian
2023-07-18, 05:57 PM
I want our escape to be a bloody battle spoken of in legends for the rest of time! But if the majority want to stealth, that's fine.

infomatic
2023-07-18, 11:04 PM
Fara generally leans toward reckless violence, but she's thinking relatively clearly at the moment so is open to sneaking

TheThrongler
2023-07-18, 11:05 PM
Osmond is ok with either the loud or quiet route, but it would give him special satisfaction if they can make it look like Blackerly helped them escape. Just to sow additional confusion and suspicion, and even if they end up killing Blackerly in the process.

Xav
2023-07-19, 02:31 AM
Well, I'd say, it's quite possible for Morgan, considering high stealth and climbing speed, to scout the area and possibly find the way out for the group (without Grumblejack). But I'd prefer to deal with Branderscar, even although it'll drive attention. In fact, if we decide and manage to fully clear it, without letting anyone to escape, I'd burn the whole place.

Athaleon
2023-07-19, 04:33 PM
It might be possible to dress some guards' bodies in prisoner's rags, shackle them up somewhere flammable and burn the building down. Each one of us they "find" in the wreckage is one they'll not be expecting to have escaped.

bcool999
2023-07-21, 09:24 PM
I am down for going loud. We just might need to turn tail and run if we start getting too banged up. With the amount of healing floating about we should be okay, but caution never hurts.

Xav
2023-07-24, 02:38 PM
I'd say we're eager to hear Grumblejack.

DM_Danger
2023-07-24, 04:06 PM
And I'm back, please proceed to commence mayhem at your leisure !

TheThrongler
2023-07-24, 07:30 PM
Osmond is just waiting to hear back from Grumblejack before proceeding.

DM_Danger
2023-07-25, 03:16 PM
Osmond is just waiting to hear back from Grumblejack before proceeding.

Sorry about that, your response is awaiting.

2023-07-25, 09:35 PM
With a healer's kit, and Osmund aid anothering, Sera will be at +14 for the Heal check, so the wound-cleaning and splinting will give 1-20 HP worth of nonmagical healing per use. I'm hoping we can get him combat ready with just a couple uses.

TheThrongler
2023-07-26, 12:19 AM
After working together, I think Sera will be able to tell that Osmond is a skilled healer, but not quite as gifted as Sera herself. I think it's a +1 difference or so.

2023-07-26, 08:44 AM
Rumblejack is healed 16 HP. Pretty chunky, but idk how close he is to full from that.

TheThrongler
2023-07-28, 05:04 AM
Just to help with my visualization, were we all branded with the rune as Forsaken in a particular place, like our forehead, the back of our hand, etc? Are they in different places, or standardized for all of us?

DM_Danger
2023-07-28, 04:07 PM
Just to help with my visualization, were we all branded with the rune as Forsaken in a particular place, like our forehead, the back of our hand, etc? Are they in different places, or standardized for all of us?

Generally, it is placed on the inside of the forearm.

https://i.imgur.com/M38BVou.png

tonberrian
2023-07-28, 09:25 PM
Just as a heads up, I'm going to be a little busy next week during the day. Shouldn't prevent posting unless I'm dead tired, but it could happen - I'm running around with kids for a few hours every weekday.

Xav
2023-07-29, 01:16 AM
Anyone stealthy wants to join Morgan?

TheThrongler
2023-07-29, 08:44 AM
Now that he's armored up, Osmond is no longer stealthy (-15 ACP is a big disadvantage). He's kind of a tank now, instead.

2023-07-29, 09:13 AM
Anyone stealthy wants to join Morgan?

Sera's decent, she'll tag along to watch your back.

TheThrongler
2023-07-30, 05:02 PM
Osmond is prepared to rush in at the sound of battle, but is not taking any actions at this time.

Xav
2023-07-30, 05:34 PM
Well, I wanted to wait for clarifications from other players not to rush by myself, but I guess, if tomorrow noone else joins, we'll go as a duo.

TheThrongler
2023-07-30, 08:04 PM
If you didn't mean to go stealthy, Osmond is willing to take point and spill some blood in vengeance: he's got a full set of equipment and can see in the dark you created. It's just that you seemed to want to sneak from what you said. Did we misunderstand you?

DM_Danger
2023-07-31, 05:45 PM
Okay folks, combat seems imminent. Can I get everyone to check in? Haven't seen posts from some of you for a while, no judgement, summers be busy.

2023-07-31, 06:21 PM
I'm still present.

infomatic
2023-07-31, 08:43 PM
Also present

Athaleon
2023-07-31, 11:00 PM
I'm still here. Been busy with a wildfire evacuation. Also found out that Shadow Lurk isn't actually any stealthier than Hechter himself, other than presumably making no noise due to being weightless. Oh well, something for after this combat.

TheThrongler
2023-08-01, 06:26 PM
Still here, obviously.

tonberrian
2023-08-01, 11:12 PM
Am here, still distracted by current events.

bcool999
2023-08-02, 11:00 AM
Hello! Still around. I had thought I posted in the IC but apparently I forgot to hit the post button. Excited for the first actual combat though.

DM_Danger
2023-08-02, 07:55 PM
All rightie, lets kick in some doors and kill some guards.

TheThrongler
2023-08-02, 08:02 PM
All rightie, lets kick in some doors and kill some guards.

It's my little sister's quinceañera all over again!

I kid, I kid.

TheThrongler
2023-08-03, 06:23 PM
Is guard #2 in a position where Osmond can charge him? I may have been too far back for that to be viable.

Or is it only Morgan who gets the extra round, since he's the one who opened the door?

Xav
2023-08-03, 08:57 PM
Is the second guard within 40' of me?

DM_Danger
2023-08-03, 09:54 PM
Is guard #2 in a position where Osmond can charge him? I may have been too far back for that to be viable.

Or is it only Morgan who gets the extra round, since he's the one who opened the door?

Is the second guard within 40' of me?

The hallway is 20x80, Guard#2 is 75ft from the doorway, so you won't be able to reach him on the suprise round, but you will on the next round. Everyone on Team Evil gets the suprise round.

Xav
2023-08-03, 10:09 PM
Well. I do can reach him with double move and attack with bonus (if we have a standard and move action. If not - bonus attack, then move towards the second one).
Who else?

bcool999
2023-08-04, 08:38 PM
Is this a literal surprise round where we only get 1 standard action or a free round before combat starts? If it’s the later I can probably approach enough to get LOS on guard 2 and make him save vs Sleep.

Athaleon
2023-08-05, 11:12 AM
Posted IC. Hechter's spell may enable at least one of us to charge or double move (if we get a full round) to the guard at the far end of the hallway.

tonberrian
2023-08-05, 12:15 PM
Sorry, todays a memorial for my deceased uncle, busy all day.

DM_Danger
2023-08-05, 01:35 PM
Is this a literal surprise round where we only get 1 standard action or a free round before combat starts? If it’s the later I can probably approach enough to get LOS on guard 2 and make him save vs Sleep.

The latter, you got the drop on them for a full round.

DM_Danger
2023-08-05, 01:36 PM
Sorry, todays a memorial for my deceased uncle, busy all day.

Sorry for your loss, take your time.

DM_Danger
2023-08-06, 08:35 AM
Rollin rollin rollin

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Xav
2023-08-08, 12:31 AM
Ahead, past the double doors, you hear faintly the shifting of boots on gravel, somebody is out there.
Does this shifting sound like usual walking, or are we being approached rapidly?

2023-08-08, 07:52 AM
Apologies, been having trouble accessing my sheet. Seems to be fixed this morning.

bcool999
2023-08-10, 09:47 AM
So since both guards are down are we out of initiative?

Xav
2023-08-10, 11:36 AM
Not sure. I'm waiting for clarification on the steps nature.

DM_Danger
2023-08-10, 05:07 PM
Sorry for the delay, am doing a family thing, the sound you heard didn't sound alarmed, more on sunday

Xav
2023-08-12, 05:27 AM
So, the idea is to drag both bodies, one dead and one unconscious, to interrogation room, and to question the one alive. While somebody watches over the first floor, preferably from stealth.

2023-08-13, 06:49 PM
Am on road trip until Saturday. Will post if I can, but if not, I'll definitely post when I return. Til then I'm following group and providing healing when necessary.

Athaleon
2023-08-13, 11:40 PM
I will also be fairly indisposed over the next few days.

DM_Danger
2023-08-14, 09:13 AM
So, the idea is to drag both bodies, one dead and one unconscious, to interrogation room, and to question the one alive. While somebody watches over the first floor, preferably from stealth.

Certainly doable, once people get back from real life (sez the guy that just got back from camping).

TheThrongler
2023-08-15, 05:59 PM
What information are we hoping to gain from the interrogation? I'm not opposed, I'm just not sure what the immediate objective is with it.

Xav
2023-08-16, 06:00 PM
- area/prison plan
- number and competence of guards
- schedule of patrols/changing
- places of interest (storage/armory/etc)
- available long-distance communications

bcool999
2023-08-19, 08:01 AM
So what to do with the prisoner now? I am assuming we off him as he is of no further use, but I am open to suggestions.

Xav
2023-08-19, 12:39 PM
No more questions to him? Agreed, no point in keeping him alive.

2023-08-21, 03:53 PM
Back from road trip and recovered. Will post within the next day.

Xav
2023-08-21, 10:29 PM
Good to hear, and welcome back.

TheThrongler
2023-08-22, 04:58 PM
That was more information than I expected us to get out of him, that map will be useful.

tonberrian
2023-08-24, 11:59 PM
Laptop has gone kaput, only on backup for now.

DM_Danger
2023-08-28, 04:39 PM
So...off to the barracks to kill some sleeping guards?

Xav
2023-08-29, 09:07 AM
I'm leaning to it. Was waiting for some more posts, but will post soon anyway.

bcool999
2023-08-30, 12:30 AM
Yeah barracks first then suit up after hopefully remaining sneaky.

DM_Danger
2023-08-31, 05:01 PM
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

DM_Danger
2023-09-07, 04:59 PM
Everyone doing all right?

Athaleon
2023-09-07, 06:50 PM
I guess it has been a while since I've done a "check in" post IC. It seemed we were glossing over the first few encounters, but I suppose I should put in a suggestion for what to do after the Barracks and Armory.

bcool999
2023-09-08, 04:08 AM
I am alright. Just checking in every so often for updates.

2023-09-08, 04:37 AM
My free time has largely gone to my crippling BG3 addiction but I'm trying to keep up to date on threads.

Xav
2023-09-12, 02:21 AM
All right. I'm currently waiting for us to arrive at the barracks.

bcool999
2023-09-12, 07:43 AM
Im in much the same boat. We got good intel from the interrogation, but it’s time to move on.

DM_Danger
2023-09-12, 11:27 PM
Alrighty then, lets get this murder train back on the tracks.

TheThrongler
2023-09-13, 11:56 AM
It's like the trolley problem, except we get to be the trolley! Anyway, just giving it a minute to see if people want to stay stealthy or go loud.

tonberrian
2023-09-15, 09:40 PM
Agh, warranty people said my computer was unrecoverable. Still, they gave me a thousand dollars to buy a new one. New laptop should be getting here on tuesday, and i can actually post from it.

tonberrian
2023-09-18, 05:19 PM
Laptop has arrived, downloads have commenced. Should be able to post soon.

DM_Danger
2023-09-18, 11:28 PM
Laptop has arrived, downloads have commenced. Should be able to post soon.

Excellent, welcome back

DM_Danger
2023-09-20, 07:25 PM
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Well, your streak of stealth has finally hit a snag

TheThrongler
2023-09-20, 09:40 PM
So, to clarify, is it initiative time, or are we getting a chance to react first?

DM_Danger
2023-09-20, 10:27 PM
So, to clarify, is it initiative time, or are we getting a chance to react first?

It is initiative time, you simultaneously suprised each other, so no one has an advantage.

Athaleon
2023-09-20, 11:26 PM
Ah, the good old meeting engagement.

[roll0] Initiative

TheThrongler
2023-09-21, 08:26 AM
Osmond's Initiative [roll0]

bcool999
2023-09-21, 05:00 PM
Rhialla’s Initiative: [roll0]

Xav
2023-09-23, 12:13 AM
Lewis' Initiative: [roll0]

bcool999
2023-09-23, 06:16 AM
Posted IC with a miss.

TheThrongler
2023-09-23, 01:17 PM
Oh, I thought we had to wait for the go-ahead to post. Are we good to go?

tonberrian
2023-09-23, 02:54 PM
init: [roll0]

bcool999
2023-09-23, 07:42 PM
Might have jumped the gun. But since my turn effectively does nothing it shouldn’t hurt resolving this round.

TheThrongler
2023-09-23, 09:26 PM
Well, it did kind of forestall any attempt to deescalate or get them to stand down with trickery.

Xav
2023-09-24, 03:10 AM
Well, I've acted too.
[roll0] - damage roll (forgot to make in IC)

DM_Danger
2023-09-24, 12:48 PM
Rolls

[roll0]

TheThrongler
2023-09-24, 02:13 PM
With the guard at the door dropped, would Osmond have a path to close with the next guard, or does his limited movement keep him from getting in range to melee attack?

DM_Danger
2023-09-24, 10:49 PM
With the guard at the door dropped, would Osmond have a path to close with the next guard, or does his limited movement keep him from getting in range to melee attack?

Yes, completely doable

TheThrongler
2023-09-25, 06:27 AM
Damn, those nat 1's really killing my attempt to be dramatic.

DM_Danger
2023-09-25, 08:02 PM
You made a killing, and it was dramatic. 1's usually impose a dramatic complication in my games.

Guard#5 [roll0]
Guard#6 [roll1]

TheThrongler
2023-09-26, 08:57 AM
Awesome! That definitely takes the sting out of it, and I think I really like that rule.

Athaleon
2023-09-26, 12:27 PM
Will post IC today. Is opening the door from the inside still just a Move Action or does unlocking it require more?

DM_Danger
2023-09-26, 02:39 PM
Will post IC today. Is opening the door from the inside still just a Move Action or does unlocking it require more?

The door to the outside is currently locked and being frantically unlocked by the guards outside.

Moving to the door would be a move. Moving to the door and opening the door would be a double move. Unlocking and opening the door would be a standard. Moving to the door, waiting til the guard opens the door and attacking him would be a move plus standard.

Xav
2023-09-26, 03:16 PM
Awesome! That definitely takes the sting out of it, and I think I really like that rule.Agreed. It really adds spectacular moments.

tonberrian
2023-10-02, 08:02 PM
Who's up? Am I up?

bcool999
2023-10-03, 06:44 AM
I think the DM has to go for enemies? Since it was mentioned that enemies act at Initiative 12?

DM_Danger
2023-10-03, 06:09 PM
Avatar Vecna, please make a bluff check to feint.

Back to the top of the round

bcool999
2023-10-04, 10:35 PM
@AvatarVecna Don’t forget that you have The Warlord Veil shaped on you with a point of essence in it. As a swift you can pick an enemy for us all to get +2 to attack and damage. In addition each ally in close range gets to move 10ft closer to the marked foe as a free action on our turn if we wish and that doesn’t use our 5ft step.

The Warlord

Descriptors: Title
Class: Rajah
Slot: Shoulders
Saving Throw: none

A heavy weight settles into the Warlord’s shoulders, as a symbol of hope forms overhead.

As a swift action, the entitled may designate a creature within close range (25 feet + 5 feet per two veilweaver levels). Attacks made against the designated target gain a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls. During each of the entitled’s allies’ turns, that ally may, as a free action, move 5 feet if they are within close range of the designated creature. This movement must place the ally closer to the designated target, and does not interfere with the entitled’s allies’ ability to make 5 foot steps. Only one creature may be designated this way at a time. Designating a new creature removes the old designation. Designations can be removed as a swift action.

Essence: Each point of essence invested in this veil increases the amount of movement granted by this veil by 5 feet. For every two points of essence invested, the bonus granted on attack and weapon damage rolls increases by +1.

Edit: Posted with Rhialla’s actions @Athaleon You can roll an attack at Hechter’s highest bab with a +2 morale bonus to the attack and damage rolls. This is a free action that will not effect actions on your turn.

Xav
2023-10-05, 01:29 AM
Are the two guards in barracks separated, or adjacent? Is any of them adjacent to Morgan?

2023-10-05, 05:29 AM
@AvatarVecna Don’t forget that you have The Warlord Veil shaped on you with a point of essence in it. As a swift you can pick an enemy for us all to get +2 to attack and damage. In addition each ally in close range gets to move 10ft closer to the marked foe as a free action on our turn if we wish and that doesn’t use our 5ft step.

I'll use that on this guy then. Apologies, I can be rather forgetful sometimes. :smallredface:

DM_Danger
2023-10-05, 10:12 AM
Are the two guards in barracks separated, or adjacent? Is any of them adjacent to Morgan?
Sorry, it is a bit of a mess, theater of the mind and all.
You are currently at the doorway of the messhall (two dead guards at your feet), the two remaining guards are coming out of the open doorway of the barracks, you will need to take a 10ft step to engage them. Sera and Hector are in the hallway at the main doorway to the outside engaging two guards.

https://i.imgur.com/KZz0KLO.png

bcool999
2023-10-05, 04:38 PM
I'll use that on this guy then. Apologies, I can be rather forgetful sometimes. :smallredface:

Its all good. It’s my class feature that I foisted off on you to manage.

Also after that map clarification I will edit a Move action to be at the mess hall doorway to keep an eye on both fights.

TheThrongler
2023-10-08, 11:14 AM
Wow, any other combat and I would expect that 11 to miss. But a guard just getting up, probably without armor, and probably without a 14+ dex? I have a chance!

Athaleon
2023-10-10, 04:39 PM
Are all players taking turns now or just the ones that go before the guards' initiative?

DM_Danger
2023-10-10, 04:59 PM
If you post you can go at this point.

Roll [roll0]

Athaleon
2023-10-10, 06:58 PM
I guess I overcomplicated the IC post. The gist of it is, Hechter can make a second attack this turn (as a Free Action) thanks to Rhialla's ability, and a third (as a Swift Action) by using Minute Hand. He will prioritize killing the guards in the doorway before he helps with the ones still in the Barracks.

Xav
2023-10-11, 12:04 PM
Btw, what about two Morgan's attacks at the barracks' guards? They both should've hit.

DM_Danger
2023-10-11, 04:33 PM
Btw, what about two Morgan's attacks at the barracks' guards? They both should've hit.

You dropped the two guards that were emerging. Hechtor dropped the two coming from outside. Currently, there are two remaining guards, 1 badly wounded guard looking for a place to run to, and 1 guard that is probably going to make a morale check on his turn.

bcool999
2023-10-15, 12:41 PM
We need some kind of initiative tracker because I have no idea who’s up.

2023-10-15, 01:30 PM
Given the length of time it's probably me tbh. Idk whose turn it is either but when it stalls for days on end it's usually cuz someone's waiting on me.

EDIT: Although it looks like both the guards next to that door I was at are dead, if I'm reading that right?

tonberrian
2023-10-15, 02:51 PM
I think i'm up but it's been so long since i built my character i have no idea what i can do anymore @.@

TheThrongler
2023-10-17, 09:40 AM
Just chiming in to say I'm still here and watching, but as I've already acted there is nothing for me to do in the IC thread.

DM_Danger
2023-10-17, 04:12 PM
Well, there are two dead in the hallway, 2 dead in the entrance to the bunk room, 1 crawling away from you in the bunkhouse near death, and 1 untouched by thoroughly demoralized survivor who will try to surrender. Should we just conclude that you win the day and kill the survivors? Really, this part is a little slow, you may proceed to ransack the prison, but there are only two fights left, Blackerly and the Warden, and the Warden is optional.

Athaleon
2023-10-18, 12:13 AM
An encounter with Blackerly could be a great RP moment even if we treat the remaining combats as a foregone conclusion.

Xav
2023-10-20, 04:02 PM
Agreed, I'd prefer not to skip Blackerly.

bcool999
2023-10-21, 07:36 AM
I believe the skip is just to finish off this fight since it appears we have thoroughly trounced the guards.

DM_Danger
2023-10-24, 05:05 PM
Alrighty then moving along

tonberrian
2023-10-30, 05:57 PM
Alright I have to call it quits on this game, gotta spend the next few days looking for an endodontist to get a root canal, and just not feeling this in general. Sorry, guys.

DM_Danger
2023-10-31, 03:30 PM
Alright I have to call it quits on this game, gotta spend the next few days looking for an endodontist to get a root canal, and just not feeling this in general. Sorry, guys.

Aw, sorry to see you go, but understandable. Best of luck to you.

TheThrongler
2023-10-31, 09:27 PM
Sorry it had been a while since I had a chance to post. I've been getting hit with mandatory overtime a lot over the past 2 weeks. If I'm ever missing for a little bit, that's all that's going on.

2023-11-06, 01:17 PM
sorry for absence, should have attention for this today

tonberrian
2023-11-13, 10:35 PM
I didn't mean to kill the game! :smallfrown:

Xav
2023-11-14, 02:46 AM
Checking regularly and ready to proceed.

TheThrongler
2023-11-14, 01:25 PM
Still here and checking regularly.

bcool999
2023-12-07, 02:51 PM
I will also need to bow out of this one everyone. Happy gaming.