PDA

View Full Version : Grave Domain Cleric Multiclass?

werescythe
2023-06-21, 10:32 PM
So, I have a kobold grave domain cleric I'm playing in a campaign coming up. While she is currently level 8 (all cleric), I have been considering having her multiclass.

So, I wanted to ask, what would be a good multiclass dip for her?

CTurbo
2023-06-21, 11:52 PM
Why do you want to multiclass? What are you looking to gain? I wouldn't multiclass for no specific reason.

Having said that, Ranger, particularly Gloom Stalker, is typically my go-to choice for multiclassing caster-Clerics. It would boost your utility and combat abilities.

A couple levels of Fighter gives you some added toughness and Action Surge.

Druid possibly fits the theme the best and also meshes well with your reliance on Wis.

RogueJK
2023-06-22, 03:09 PM
Why do you want to multiclass? What are you looking to gain? I wouldn't multiclass for no specific reason.

This. Unless you're after something very specific, there's no reason to dip out of Cleric.

As a Cleric 8, you're at the point where high level spells begin to far outshine just about anything that a level or two of another class could offer.

Atranen
2023-06-22, 04:06 PM
What level does the campaign max out at? How many levels are you thinking of taking with your multiclass? Also, what are your characters current ability scores? Those will dictate what options are best (or even available) for multiclassing.

SonTypOhneNamen
2023-06-22, 04:41 PM
Synergies with your class features so far:

- Circle of Mortality: as a cleric you already get access to most of the best healing spells, especially if you play with Tasha's optional spell lists. Not much synergy here, multiclassing will delay access to higher level healing spells, though that probably won't ever make a significant difference for a feature that hopefully won't come up often.

- Eyes of the Grave: literally nothing that comes to mind, again very niche, and i don't know how (or why) you would enhance it.

- CD: Path to the Grave: This is where you can go mad with single target damage if you're alone. Rogue's sneak attack, Paladin's smites (which can be used by burning your cleric spell slots, so a 2 level investment will significantly boost your nova potential), every single feature boosting your next single one attack's damage will deal double damage. This, again, is a niche thing to do because in 11 out of 10 cases the enemy you put this CD on will be attacked by one of your team mates before you can use your next action to attack (UNLESS, and hear me out here, you go 2 levels of fighter for Action Surge, using your action to use this CD and your surged action to attack going absolutely nova. This can be a boss ender, but it's a 4 level investment...); sorcerer 3 with quickened metamagic could allow you to bonus action cast a damaging spell (you have access to vampiric touch, both of the damage and healing of which stack with the vulnerability!), but your options on the cleric list are few and honestly your party will have better uses for it.

- Sentinel at Death's Door: works on any ally within 30ft of you. This can be a life saver, so you might wanna stay within 30ft of your more mobile team members, so anything giving you mobility (rogue's Cunning Action or fighter's Action Surge come to mind) is good. There's a bunch more features, but most of them only come into play at later levels, and at 8 more than a dip of 2 will take ages to achieve admittedly very little.

- Potent Spellcasting: only works with cleric cantrips, so no use in multiclassing

And that's it. Not much synergy, clerics are self reliant and can do a lot, and Grave Cleric outside of a single player campaign is better as a single class in most cases. The usual suspects (warlock for invocations and some spells that are good when upcast, monk for unarmored AC, maybe fighter for proficiency in martial weapons and action surge...) apply, but if you went this far, it might be worth just sticking with it.

RogueJK
2023-06-23, 08:41 AM
- Potent Spellcasting: only works with cleric cantrips, so no use in multiclassing

True. But if you swap Potent Spellcasting for Blessed Strikes via the TCoE optional class feature, that works with any cantrip.

(Still not worth multiclassing for just that, though...)

RogueJK
2023-06-23, 08:50 AM
- CD: Path to the Grave: This is where you can go mad with single target damage if you're alone.
sorcerer 3 with quickened metamagic could allow you to bonus action cast a damaging spell (you have access to vampiric touch, both of the damage and healing of which stack with the vulnerability!), but your options on the cleric list are few and honestly your party will have better uses for it.

I took this concept and ran with it a while back with this "Goblin Grim Reaper" Hexblade 1/Grave Cleric 2/Divine Soul Sorcerer X utilizing Path to the Grave paired with an upcast Quickened Inflict Wounds stacked with Fury of the Small and Hexblade's Curse: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25417080&postcount=1395

(Note that this build included the older MToF Goblin's Fury of the Small. The build still works, but the damage won't be quite as high with a MotM Goblin's slightly lesser Fury of the Small damage that's now based on PB instead of character level.)

MisterD
2023-06-23, 03:19 PM
To personally take advantage of Path to the grave. You need to quicken a spell after using PttG or an action surge.