PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Testing the PCs? Need help with a Resurrection quest.

Rebecca-47
2023-06-22, 08:54 AM
Related to a previous post of mine!

My three players (8th level Druid, Barbarian, & Rogue) are making their way to a mysterious island in tonight's game, where they hope to encounter a healer, who might bring their fallen companion back to life.

The healer is going to be a huge Qilin, and my intention was for her to test the players, who need to prove themselves worthy of her power through acts of courage, strength, or morality, etc. E.G., Maybe she would send them on a brief but perilous quest to retrieve something from a deep dark cave on the island, or have them rescue a helpless creature, or similar. After all, resurrection is not something to be handed out lightly. I figured she might even demand something from them in exchange as proof of their selfless intentions, like each player might give up one of their death saves permanently in order to bring back their friend.

Problem is, I don't really know how to play this in a way that's interesting and can fill a whole session. (An not just be a single conversation with an NPC.) I also don't want to just rely on plain combat to fill the time.

So, what could I have this Qilin ask for that would test my players in a fun and game-ish way?

...This game of mine has been going for a long time, but I feel I'm still not a very experienced DM, especially when it comes to messing about with the mechanics. I appreciate whatever you can suggest.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/1/1e/Ki-rin-5e.jpg/

Oramac
2023-06-22, 09:28 AM
Couple things. First, though not strictly related to your question, I highly recommend the Fading Spirits optional rules for resurrection in the Tal'dorei Reborn campaign book. It adds a great bit of RP and a [slight] possibility of failure to resurrection.

More to your point, I would play it as a game between the Qilin and its mischievous friend. The friend has "stolen" some macguffin from the Qilin and hidden it in a twisting maze of traps, puzzles, and passages that a horse-shaped creature can't easily traverse, necessitating the party to retrieve said macguffin. Something like this wouldn't require any combat at all, unless you felt like planting a Lightning Golem or something at the end to guard the macguffin.

Perhaps once the party returns with the item, the Qilin opens it to reveal some hilariously mundane item. (Think of the cigar retrieval mission near the beginning of 2 Fast 2 Furious).

Beni-Kujaku
2023-06-22, 09:42 AM
"I am a healer of heroes. There is a village in the forest there. If you can prove to them that you are worthy before tomorrow evening, then I'll give you what you wish. If at least 3 of them praise you for different acts when I next see them, I'll know you are right people."

At the village, they have completely mundane problems that can also, if possible, make the rogue and barb shine. One has lost their cat, another one wants to water their crops, one wants the crows plaguing their crops to go away, the other one is old and wants to experience swimming in the azure sea once again. A tree fell on one house and threatens to break through the ceiling a crush the owner at any moment. One simply has their mate dying/dead of old age and asks the PCs to "help them". The point is not to succeed, but to do their best.

Rebecca-47
2023-06-22, 01:21 PM
Couple things. First, though not strictly related to your question, I highly recommend the Fading Spirits optional rules for resurrection in the Tal'dorei Reborn campaign book. It adds a great bit of RP and a [slight] possibility of failure to resurrection.

Someone told me about those optional rules before. I like the idea of "coming back different," so I'll give them a look.

The labyrinth is a fun idea as well, but I figured this island would mostly be inhabited by animals with very little in the ways of "intelligent" life besides the Qilin.