PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a Ranger Drakewarden

ironkid
2023-06-22, 09:43 AM
Hello all, were starting a game that is not expected to go that long (5 sessions aprox), we're starting level 8 (and probably staying there); I want to give an Eladrin Drakewarden a try, currently Im thinking of making him Ranger 5 / Rogue scout 3 focused on archery (damn original I know), any other builds / multiclass suggestions would be welcome (Im also considering Ranger 6/Fighter 2 for instance)

solidork
2023-06-22, 10:14 AM
I'd probably go Ranger 8 unless you've got a compelling character concept reason to multiclass; take a half feat like Skill Expert to round out your Dex and then Sharpshooter or some other feat that interests you. Rogue especially doesn't seem great since you need your bonus action to command your Drake.

5eNeedsDarksun
2023-06-22, 10:41 AM
Maybe Ranger 7/ Rogue 1 for the Sneak Attack and Expertise if you thought that was more valuable than the ASI/ feat. Drakewarden 7 seems pretty good to get your Drake as a mount.

RogueJK
2023-06-22, 11:11 AM
Agreed. I wouldn't want to miss out on Drakewarden 7. And you'll almost certainly want that second ASI at Ranger 8 as well. So I'd just stick with Ranger 8.

From there, decide whether you want to ride your Drake as a mount, or let it close into melee alone while you hang back via ranged combat. Ranged combat is the more optimal route, but mounted combat can be fun, and is a solid choice for a short campaign like this.

Ranged combat: High DEX and moderate CON and WIS. Take the Archery fighting style and Sharpshooter feat, along with either +2 DEX or a DEX half-feat like Skill Expert/Piercer/Elven Accuracy. Use a longbow at range while your drake flies around attacking enemies in melee.

Mounted combat: High DEX and moderate CON and WIS. Take the Dueling fighting style and Mounted Combatant feat, along with either +2 DEX or a DEX half-feat like Skill Expert/Piercer/Elven Accuracy. Use a rapier and shield for melee attacks while riding your drake.

If you happen to start with really high stats and don't need the second ASI, then Ranger 7/Rogue 1 is a decent option for a bit of extra Sneak Attack damage and a couple Expertise skills. Or possibly even a mounted Drakewarden Ranger 7/Nature Cleric 1 with a high WIS and moderate DEX/CON, using WIS-based Shillelagh with Dueling fighting style for your mounted melee attacks. (Just be sure to fire up your Shillelagh before going into dangerous situations, else it costs your Drake its first turn.)

Psyren
2023-06-22, 11:15 AM
You can and should play whatever concept excites you of course, but since you asked about optimizing specifically...

In addition to the multiclass issues, Eladrin is rough too since any round where you Fey Step your Drake is doing nothing. Compare that to Beastmaster where you can at least give up an attack to command your companion on the rounds where your bonus action is needed for something else. I would consider a BA-light race here.

Mastikator
2023-06-22, 11:16 AM
I'll third ranger 8. Sharpshooter and Skill Expert, rangers get 1 expertise, the feat gives the second. If it's a second expertise you're after.

RogueJK
2023-06-22, 11:18 AM
In addition to the multiclass issues, Eladrin is rough too since any round where you Fey Step your Drake is doing nothing.

True, but Fey Step doesn't necessarily have to be used in combat. I've played an Autumn Eladrin before who rarely used it in combat (mainly as an emergency means to escape nasty restraints), but who relied on it to charm NPCs during social interactions. Unlike stuff like Friends and Charm Person, the racial charm effect doesn't state that the subjects know they've been charmed or become hostile afterwards. Basically, mid-conversation they'd just nigh-imperceptibly flicker for a split second (basically teleporting in place), and a couple people nearby would suddenly be extra friendly.

Psyren
2023-06-22, 11:37 AM
True, but Fey Step doesn't necessarily have to be used in combat. I've played an Autumn Eladrin before who rarely used it in combat (mainly as an emergency means to escape nasty restraints), but who relied on it to charm NPCs during social interactions. Unlike stuff like Friends and Charm Person, the racial charm effect doesn't state that the subjects know they've been charmed or become hostile afterwards. Basically, mid-conversation they'd just nigh-imperceptibly flicker for a split second (basically teleporting in place), and a couple people nearby would suddenly be extra friendly.

While a short range out of combat teleport isn't bad, I can think of better ones personally.

Additionally, I wouldn't let you imperceptibly teleport in place like that - you have to pick an unoccupied space you can see, and at the time you activate the ability, you're occupying that space. You don't stop occupying it until after activation.

5eNeedsDarksun
2023-06-22, 12:11 PM
I'd just make the point that your Drake does move and take reactions on it's own and Dodges even if you don't use your BA. So some competing BAs aren't necessarily a bad thing, particularly if you're ranged; moving and dodging is probably what the Drake would be doing most of the time anyway.

stoutstien
2023-06-22, 12:13 PM
The DW pet has the highest damage potential of the permit options(if you can leverage damage types but using it for mitigation is probably a better move) but even then I wouldn't feel that bad not using it more than half the time. It has highish AC and get large enough to be an effective body blocker.

I wished infused strikes scaled rather than the bite.

Sigreid
2023-06-22, 12:19 PM
Might I suggest kobold draken ranger 8 with sharpshooter and mounted combat feats?

Ride the drake, have advantage on your archery if an ally is within 5 feet of your target and mounted on your pet you'll be able to protect your pet by redirecting attacks to yourself if needed and pack tactics negates disadvantage with the bow if the opponent closes.

RogueJK
2023-06-22, 02:24 PM
Might I suggest kobold draken ranger 8 with sharpshooter and mounted combat feats?

Ride the drake, have advantage on your archery if an ally is within 5 feet of your target and mounted on your pet you'll be able to protect your pet by redirecting attacks to yourself if needed and pack tactics negates disadvantage with the bow if the opponent closes.

Note that this only works with the old VGTM Kobold, which has been superseded by the new MotM Kobold that doesn't have Pack Tactics.

Also, understand that even if you can access the old Kobold with Pack Tactics, you'll also be saddled with Sunlight Sensitivity that imposes Disadvantage whenever in bright light. So that Pack Tactics from your mount will often be wasted on merely counteracting Disadvantage, and you'll rarely be able to benefit from actual Advantage.

solidork
2023-06-22, 02:28 PM
You should absolutely not ride your drake into combat, full stop. It's a cool image but it just does not work.

It has to move after you, so if you're a melee character you're going to get into situations where you can't attack on your turn. If you're ranged you won't have that problem, but if you want your drake to attack you're going to be giving yourself disadvantage because you're in melee. You could do crossbow expert and shoot from melee, but since your drake already gives you something to do with a bonus action you're missing out on a big part of the value of that feat. If you've got a permissive GM that lets you use your drakes movement on your turn it's not actively bad for a melee character, but the benefit you get from it is dubious.

Mounted Combatant is also much worse than usual since a big part of the feat is getting advantage if your mount is bigger than your enemies; your drake is only medium sized, so you'll very rarely get that.

Sigreid
2023-06-22, 02:43 PM
Note that this only works with the old VGTM Kobold, which has been superseded by the new MotM Kobold that doesn't have Pack Tactics.

Also, understand that even if you can access the old Kobold with Pack Tactics, you'll also be saddled with Sunlight Sensitivity that imposes Disadvantage whenever in bright light. So that Pack Tactics from your mount will often be wasted on merely counteracting Disadvantage, and you'll rarely be able to benefit from actual Advantage.

I'm aware of the sunlight thing. And WoTC lost my business for new books before MotM came out and I've seen nothing to indicate their current trajectory will make me want to use anything new they develop. /shrug