PDA

View Full Version : DM Help two subclasses

Grondsmash
2023-06-23, 02:47 AM
A player questioned this, and after looking everywhere (I assume I missed it somewhere), I couldn't find it. This is for 5E.

the question is, " Can you enter a Class and at 3rd enter a subclass, multiclass out to another class and then return to the original class, but progress in a different subclass? Gaining the 3rd level abilities from the first 3 levels and then gain the higher abilities from the 2nd subclass.

I can't find the specific rule where you can only have one subclass. Assume the PC has the 13+ for the required prerequisites, did 3 levels rogue/assassin, 6 levels fighter/BM, and now wants to be continuing as a 4th level rogue/Arcane Trickster.

Can this be done? I know the RAI, but is there a specific RAW ruling somewhere?

Zhorn
2023-06-23, 03:27 AM
So the RAW on the matter is baked into the wording of each class when you gain the subclass feature

example:

Primal Path
At 3rd level, you choose a path that shapes the nature of your rage from the list of available paths. Your choice grants you features at 3rd level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th levels.
The subclass is unlocked with a feature; and the feature locks in a choice. As you are not gaining Primal Path a second time, you cannot add a different choice to unlock a different subclass.

CTurbo
2023-06-23, 07:51 AM
By RAW and RAI the answer is seemingly "no"

If you take 3 levels of a class, and multiclass out... as soon as you take 1 more level of the original class, you'll be on level 4 of said class.

animorte
2023-06-23, 01:23 PM
By the rules, it's a no, as already stated. However, I have developed a homebrew process that accounts for the possibility of interchangable subclass features.

It's been working in some of my games with 3 different characters so far, with no problems.

Psyren
2023-06-26, 09:30 AM
I'll add to the above that the DMG does provide guidance for swapping out subclass features for custom ones, including ones from other subclasses (DMG 287-288.) You're still essentially in homebrew territory, but being able to show your DM the guidance on the page may improve your odds of getting a favorable swap or modification.