PDA

View Full Version : Creating Clive from FF16 as a PC?

SociopathFriend
2023-06-24, 06:13 PM
One of my favorite things in D&D is attempting to make existing characters using the system. That's just a fun little puzzle imo.

With that said- I've begun playing FF16 and as I once asked the forum about Sephiroth- now I ask again the forum's thoughts on another FF character.

Now Clive eventually starts getting other Eikon powers but in the interests of focusing on the 'core' of Clive- we'll stick with his fire Eikon powers.

Any thoughts on what to start as with him? What classes to be and what feats to take?

Personally I'm torn between Eldritch Knight and Warlock at the moment.

Amnestic
2023-06-24, 06:55 PM
If you want to be faithful to his 'progression' I'd say he starts off fighter (before he gets the Phoenix Blessing), MC's into Paladin for a bit (Crown or Devotion for oath, to represent his service to his brother) and then into warlock - I'd probably go Fiend bladelock?

You could skip the fighter but I do want paladin in there for heavy armour and also some Smite spells. Fiend feels appropriate given his eikon and their fiery aspect though you could go fire-genie instead too. I'd probably want to split levels back into Paladin as you go. Thirsting Blade does get you Extra Attack, but you can trade it out once you get that from paladin too.

V.human for a magic initiate (Searing Smite) is unusual, but appropriate in Clive's case.

If it helps, at all, I did get inspired to make a Paladin subclass based upon being a Dominant (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/kZDlq1c3lpwE) too. It's not 100% a match to 16 (it includes Leviathan and Ixion, instead of Ramuh, Odin, and Bahamut, and no Phoenix) but it should still work.

Dork_Forge
2023-06-24, 07:27 PM
I've only seen a bit of it, but wouldn't Sun Soul Monk be a good base for this?

Physical character with at-will 'fire' blasting that isn't just using Fire Bolt.

Licia
2023-06-26, 04:15 AM
Personally I think I would stick to Eldritch Knight if I was making Clive. His primary fighting style in game is melee focused, and mixes magic with melee combos while being able to tank through things most others can't. I'm thinking with just a few twists on Ludics famous Soulknife build and you can perform the fantasy of Clive chopping through mooks pretty easily by focusing on strength instead of dexterity.

There's a lot of objections on the Evocation and Abjuration spell list that could also lean into the idea of not just the base fire Eikon that Clive has but also the others in the game. While not all of these may be the most optimal solution, some fun ones that jump out to me for flavor are Green-Flame Blade/Burning Hands, Earth Tremor, Frost Fingers, Wall of Wind and Thunderwave for respectively.

As for feats, fey touched is a stand out to me for the free misty step to allow you to dash around the battle field. Gift of the Metallic Dragon jumps out to me as well, just flavor the dragon wings as protective Phoenix wings instead. Otherwise just your standard GWM feats for a great sword fighter.

KCWONDER99
2023-07-11, 03:51 AM
While you would have to change a bit to fluff things wouldn't this be a wildfire druid build? Lots of fire based abilities, eventually turn into fire elementals for the eikon abilities. Maybe a level or two of fighter to start.

Spore
2023-07-11, 07:09 AM
Personally I think I would stick to Eldritch Knight if I was making Clive. His primary fighting style in game is melee focused, and mixes magic with melee combos while being able to tank through things most others can't.

Well, honestly he is a Dex EK with a long sword. For the sake of game mechanics probably defense fighting style with Fire Bolt and GreenFlame Blade going into Bladesinger (I'd say the limit breaks are either blade song-ish or higher level wizard spells).

EK 5/Wiz x, pushing Dex to 20, then Int, has higher Wis and low Cha (he looks hot but that is because of his physical training, not his glamorous personality).

EK spells: GFB, Fire Bolt, Absorb Elements, Shield, Find Familiar (let's just treat Torgal as a oversized familiar, that uses potions and flanks for him)
Wizard cantrips:

Lightning Lure, Gust, Thunderclap, Ray of Frost, Toll the Dead and a special campaign cantrip with Sacred Flame keyed to Int

Of course we can also go the Hexblade 5/Sorcerer x route. Not sure if Phoenix, Red Dragon Sorcerer or Divine Soul sorcerer to gain some thematic Odin and Bahamut spells keyed of Cha is the most thematic choice.