PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant Sorcadin Advice

werescythe
2023-06-24, 07:35 PM
So I have this idea for a character that is a sorcadin. While I know I want to go 6 levels paladin for Aura of Protection and I want the sorcerer subclass to be Aberrant Mind Sorcerer, I don't have much details.

I do want the character to be able to aid in protecting the party, just not sure what paladin subclasses could work in fulfilling this role and being effective.

Any suggestions?

Skrum
2023-06-24, 08:50 PM
I have an aberrant mind sorc, though I went paladin 2 sorcerer 8. She's a psychic trained as an assassin that specializes in killing spellcasters. To that end, she's got GWM and divine smite to maximize her single swings ("one strike, one kill"), a ton of teleportation spells to close the distance, fog cloud/blind fight, and of course counterspell.

Giving up Extra Attack isn't even that bad. Twin cast Booming Blade and you've got two attacks for 1 metamagic point. Or quicken it.

Key spells are vortex warp, thunder step, and counterspell. An astral shard is FANTASTIC if you can get one.

This build isn't supportive the way a paladin is, but shutting down spellcasters can be a big deal, and being able to place not just herself but basically anyone in the party where they need to be is incredibly good. Pull people out of trouble, put intense pressure on the enemy's backline, it's just really good.

But, if you're set on paladin 6, I would recommend Watchers I think? There isn't a ton to distinguish the paladins pre-level 7 aura, but Watcher's Will is very good. Vengeance if you wanted to boost your own melee abilities is also just sitting there (would recommend it less if your table uses flanking, in which case Conquest might be worth it for the 1/SR "I'm definitely gonna hit").

RogueJK
2023-06-24, 09:05 PM
But, if you're set on paladin 6, I would recommend Watchers I think? There isn't a ton to distinguish the paladins pre-level 7 aura, but Watcher's Will is very good.

Yep. If you're stopping at Paladin 6, you're basically just looking at which Channel Divinity and/or 1st-2nd level Oath spells are most useful to you. With a stated goal of "aiding in protecting the party", I'd say Watcher's Will fills that role nicely.

Oath of the Crown would also be a good option. The CD allows you to either lock down one enemy to keep it from moving away from you and attacking a squishier ally, or cast what's effectively a half-range Mass Healing Word for anyone below half HP. And either of those CDs are Bonus Actions, whereas most other Oaths' CDs eat your full Action. Plus you get access to Warding Bond, which is situationally useful for spreading out damage between party members, or helping a caster maintain Concentration on important spells.

I'd look at the Interception fighting style too. If there's at least one other melee frontliner in the party, that's an easy means to mitigate a significant amount of damage over the course of a day. (And it can synergize with Warding Bond if you go Oath of the Crown.)

Also plan for the Inspiring Leader feat, which generates piles of Temp HP for the party throughout the adventuring day.

solidork
2023-06-24, 09:19 PM
Watchers also has some good thematic overlap with Aberrant Mind; you're someone touched by the far realms but who is dedicated to using that power to protect people from the kind of beings that share the unnatural power that you wield.

Were you born with these abilities and decided to turn them to good, or did something happen once you were already a Watcher that gave you aberrant sorcerous abilities? Are you embracing this power, or is it something that you resent or are distrustful of? If you're part of a larger organization of knights, what do they think about your aberrant powers?