PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Crazy Mad Bomber (Artificer Subclass)

Bhu
2023-06-24, 08:36 PM
THE CRAZY MAD BOMBER
"And so he says, I don't like the cut of your jib, and I go, I says it's the only jib I got, baby!"
Some Artificers use their knowledge to heal or support their team mates. Some use it to fight along side them. You blow stuff up. Not always intentionally. Voted "most likely to murder his own side" in magic school, your reputation hasn't gotten any better since graduating. Even would be Overlords worry abut hiring you, because 'you're that dude with the issues.' At least until you remind them they can't afford to piss you off either. So they hire you to blow stuff up that's far, far away from their domains, and hope for the best.

TOOL PROFICIENCY
When you adopt this specialization at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with an Ordnance Kit. (An Ordnance Kit is 50 GP, and weighs 20 lbs. if it needs replacing).

BOMBER SPELLS
Starting at 3rd level, you always have certain spells prepared after you reach particular levels in this class, as shown in the Bomber Spells table. These spells count as artificer spells for you, but they don’t count against the number of artificer spells you prepare.

Artificer Level Spells

3rd Elemental Burst*, Fog Cloud
5th Fireburst*, Rockburst*
9th Fireball, Stinking Cloud
13th Evard's Black Tentacles, Vitriolic Sphere
17th Cloudkill, Here Comes The Boom*

GRENADES
When you reach 3rd level, whenever you finish a long rest, you can magically produce a batch of Grenades via your Ordnance kit. You may create a number of grenades equal to your Proficiency Bonus, and they do not all have to be the same type. As an action, you or another creature can throw the grenade at any square out to a range of 60 feet. The grenade detonates on impact, doing damage in it's area of effect.

You can create additional grenades by expending a spell slot of 1st level or higher for each one. When you do so, you use your action to create the grenade.

Creating a grenade requires you to have an Ordnance Kit.

When you reach certain levels in this class, you can make more grenades at the end of a long rest: +1 at 6th level and +2 at 15th level. At Level 9 you can create a Launcher, giving your Grenades a range of 320 feet. The Launcher is 8 lbs., and may be used by anyone who is Proficient with firearms. You can make the following Grenades:

Damage. Damage Grenades do 2d6 damage if the targets fail a Dexterity Saving Throw, and half damage if they succeed (this increases to 3d6 at Level 6). The grenade has a 10 foot radius, and you can choose one of the following damage types: Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing, Acid, Fire, or Poison. At 6th Level you can also choose Cold, Lightning or Thunder. At 9th Level you can choose any damage type. Grenades do magical damage.

Smoke. Smoke Grenades create smoke in a 10 foot radius. It emits a cloud of smoke that creates a heavily obscured area. A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the smoke in 4 rounds; a strong wind (20 or more miles per hour) disperses it in 1 round. Otherwise it lasts 5 rounds. Living creatures in the smoke must make a Constitution Save or be Poisoned for 1 Minute (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC). The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Stun. Stun grenades unleash light and sound in a 10 foot radius. Creatures in the area must make a Constitution Save or be Blinded and Deafened for 1 Minute (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC). The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Glue. Glue grenades splash adhesive over a 10 foot radius. The glue is sticky for 5 rounds, unless it bonds to a creature. Creatures in the area must make a Dexterity Save or be Restrained for 1 Minute (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC). The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Grease. Grease covers the ground in a 10-foot square centered on a point within range and turns it into difficult terrain for 5 rounds. When the grease appears, each creature standing in its area must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall prone. A creature that enters the area or ends its turn there must also succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall prone (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC).

Summon. A Summon grenade explodes in a flash of light, summoning one Aberration, Construct, Fiend or Ooze of CR 2 or less. The creature lasts for 5 rounds, is under no ones control, and will simply attack whatever is closest to it.

At 6th Level you can also make the following Grenades:

Sleep Gas. Sleep Grenades create gas in a 10 foot radius. It emits a cloud of gas that creates a heavily obscured area. A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the gas in 4 rounds; a strong wind (20 or more miles per hour) disperses it in 1 round. Otherwise it lasts 5 rounds. Living creatures in the gas must make a Constitution Save or fall Unconscious for 1 Minute, or until attacked(Save DC is equal to your spell save DC). The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Stink. Stink Grenades are effectively identical to the Stinking Cloud spell, except that they only cover a 10 foot radius, and the cloud only lasts 5 rounds.

At 6th Level you can also make Mines. Mines are placed just under the soil or hidden, and can be used by anyone with Proficiency in an Ordnance Kit. They can be set to detonate when stepped on directly, and even to require a set weight limit to detonate it (that way people set it off but squirrels don't). They can also be set to detonate when something approaches within the detonation range (i.e. if the mine explodes in a 10 foot radius, it will do so when something moves within 10 feet of it). Setting a Mine is an Action. Once set, you have from 1 Round to 1 Minute to move outside of range (you choose the duration when setting the mine). You can make the following Mines:

Damage. Damage Mines do 4d6 damage if the targets fail a Dexterity Saving Throw, and half damage if they succeed. The mine has a 20 foot radius, and you can choose one of the following damage types: Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing, Acid, Fire, or Poison. At 9th Level you can also choose Cold, Lightning or Thunder. At 12th Level you can choose any damage type. Mines do magical damage.

Smoke. Smoke Mines create smoke in a 20 foot radius. It emits a cloud of smoke that creates a heavily obscured area. A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the smoke in 6 rounds; a strong wind (20 or more miles per hour) disperses it in 2 rounds. Otherwise it lasts 1 Minute. Living creatures in the smoke must make a Constitution Save or be Poisoned for 1 Minute (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC). The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Stun. Stun Mines unleash light and sound in a 20 foot radius. Creatures in the area must make a Constitution Save or be Blinded and Deafened for 1 Minute (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC), or Blinded and Deafened for 1 Round if the Save succeeds. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Glue. Glue Mines splash adhesive over a 20 foot radius. The glue is sticky for 1 Minute, unless it bonds to a creature. Creatures in the area must make a Dexterity Save or be Restrained for 1 Minute (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC), or Restrained for 1 Round if the save succeeds. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Grease. Grease covers the ground in a 20-foot square centered on a point within range and turns it into difficult terrain for 1 Minute. When the grease appears, each creature standing in its area must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall prone. A creature that enters the area or ends its turn there must also succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall prone (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC).

Sleep Gas. Sleep Mines create gas in a 20 foot radius. It emits a cloud of gas that creates a heavily obscured area. A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the gas in 6 rounds; a strong wind (20 or more miles per hour) disperses it in 2 rounds. Otherwise it lasts 1 Minute. Living creatures in the gas must make a Constitution Save or fall Unconscious for 1 Minute, or until attacked(Save DC is equal to your spell save DC). The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Stink. Stink Mines are effectively identical to the Stinking Cloud spell, except that they last 1 Minute. A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the gas in 6 rounds; a strong wind (20 or more miles per hour) disperses it in 2 rounds.

Summon. A Summon Mine explodes in a flash of light, summoning one Aberration, Construct, Fiend or Ooze of CR 4 or less. The creature lasts for 1 Minute, is under no ones control, and will simply attack whatever is closest to it.

At 9th Level you can also make Bombs. Bombs are placed just under the soil or hidden, and can be used by anyone with Proficiency in an Ordnance Kit. They can be set to detonate when stepped on directly, or via proximity like Mines. They can also be set to detonate via timer. The Bomb can be set to detonate in any time ranging from 1 round to 1 Week. Setting a Bomb is an Action. Once set, you have from 1 Round to 1 Minute to move outside of range before the settings take place (assuming of course that you aren't setting it to detonate via timer, also you choose the duration when setting the bomb). You can make the following Bombs:

Damage. Damage Bombs do 8d6 damage if the targets fail a Dexterity Saving Throw, and half damage if they succeed. The bomb has a 30 foot radius, and you can choose one of the following damage types: Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing, Acid, Fire, or Poison. At 12th Level you can also choose Cold, Lightning or Thunder. At 15th Level you can choose any damage type. Bombs do magical damage.

Smoke. Smoke Bombs create smoke in a 30 foot radius. It emits a cloud of smoke that creates a heavily obscured area. A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the smoke in 1 Minute; a strong wind (20 or more miles per hour) disperses it in 4 rounds. Otherwise it lasts 10 Minutes. Living creatures in the smoke must make a Constitution Save or be Poisoned for 1 Minute (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC), or until they leave the smoke filled area if they stay in it for longer than a Minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Stun. Stun Bombs unleash light and sound in a 30 foot radius. Creatures in the area are Blinded and Deafened for 1 Minute. The target can make a Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC).

Glue. Glue Bombs splash adhesive over a 30 foot radius. The glue is sticky for 1 Minute, unless it bonds to a creature. Creatures in the area are Restrained for 1 Minute. The target can make a Dexterity saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC).

Grease. Grease covers the ground in a 30-foot square centered on a point within range and turns it into difficult terrain for 10 Minutes. When the grease appears, each creature standing in its area must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall prone. A creature that enters the area or ends its turn there must also succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall prone (Save DC is equal to your spell save DC).

Sleep Gas. Sleep Bombs create gas in a 30 foot radius. It emits a cloud of gas that creates a heavily obscured area. A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the gas in 1 Minute; a strong wind (20 or more miles per hour) disperses it in 4 rounds. Otherwise it lasts 10 Minutes. Living creatures in the gas must make a Constitution Save or fall Unconscious for 1 Minute, or until attacked(Save DC is equal to your spell save DC). The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Stink. Stink Mines are effectively identical to the Stinking Cloud spell, except that they last 10 Minutes, and cover a 30 foot radius. A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the gas in 1 Minute; a strong wind (20 or more miles per hour) disperses it in 4 rounds.

Summon. A Summon Mine explodes in a flash of light, summoning one Aberration, Construct, Fiend or Ooze of CR 6 or less. The creature lasts for 1 Minute, is under no ones control, and will simply attack whatever is closest to it.

At 12th Level you can make detonators. These allow you to set a Mine or Bomb to explode via detonator, which can be done as a Bonus Action on your turn, or a Reaction on someone else's turn.

DISPOSAL
Beginning at 3rd level, you can make a DC 15 Intelligence Check to determine just exactly how and when a mine or bomb that you can see will detonate. As an Action you can make an DC 20 Intelligence Check to disarm it, and remove it's settings (you must have your Ordnance kit and be adjacent to the detonation range. I.e. if the Mine has a 20 foot range, you must be at least 25 feet from the mine). With another Action you can reset the settings (you must have your Ordnance Kit, and be Adjacent to the mine or bomb).

BOOM BABY!
Starting at 5th level, your explosives are more potent, and you add your Intelligence modifier to spells that do damage in an area, or with anything you create via your Grenades ability.

BOMB SUIT
At 9th level, you have had near misses so many times that you have designed a protective suit. The suit is effectively a suit of armor, whose AC is equal to 14 + dexterity modifier. It weighs 45 lbs., and gives Disadvantage to Dexterity (Stealth) Checks. Dexterity Bonus caps at 2. It also provides Damage Resistance to all damage, but only against damage that comes from area effects, not single target damage. The suit takes a full day to make.

AH HA HA HA HA!
At 15th level, you can 'mine' an area given enough prep time. Taking 1 Round mines up to a 10 ft. by 10 ft. square. Taking 1 Minute mines up to a 100 ft. by 100 ft. square. This doesn't need to literally be a square. For example, if you mine a '10 foot by 10 foot' square, you are actually mining any 4 squares that are touching one another. When creating this minefield, you decide how long you have to get out of the area before it activates (choose from 1 round to 1 Minute). Each 5 foot square in this area contains 1 'mine', which detonates when any creature enters the square. Each mine detonates once, and then that square is safe, and the field lasts until all the mines have exploded or until you dismiss it. An exploding mine does 4d6 + Proficiency Bonus + Intelligence modifier damage of a type of your choice in an area 5 feet across by 30 feet high (creatures flying at 30 feet or less still trigger the mine). Creatures in this area are also blown 35 feet up into the sky, taking falling damage as they land. You may create a minefield once per long rest.

Elemental Burst
1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 60 feet (10 foot radius)
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
You cause an explosion of elemental material in a 10 foot radius causing one of the following effects:

Air: 1d10 Bludgeoning damage, plus the targets must make a Strength Save or be Shoved 10 feet in any direction.
Fire: 1d10 Fire damage, plus the targets must make a Strength Save or be Blinded for 1 round.
Stone: 1d10 Slashing damage, plus the targets must make a Constitution Save or be unable to use Reactions for 1 round.
Water: 1d10 Cold damage, and the targets must make a Strength Save or be knocked Prone.
Wood: 1d10 Piercing damage, plus the targets must make a Constitution Save or be Poisoned for 1 round.

At Higher Levels: If you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d10 for each slot level above 1st (to a maximum of 6d10).

Rockburst
2nd Level Evocation
Range: 120 feet (20 foot radius)
Components: V, S
You cause one stone object within range to explode, causing everything within a 20 foot radius to make a Dexterity Save. The spell does 3d6 Piercing or Slashing damage (choose one) on a failed Save, with half as much damage on a successful one.

Fireburst
2nd Level Evocation
Range: Self (10 ft. radius)
Components: V, S, M (a pinch of sulfur)
Duration: Instantaneous
This spell does 3d8 Fire damage in a 10 foot radius emanating from you, and the target must make a Dexterity Save or burn for an additional 1d6 Fire damage at the beginning of each of it's turns. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success (or can take an Action to put the fire out).

At Higher Levels: If you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 2nd.

Here Comes The Boom
5th Level Evocation
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a small pinch of gunpowder)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 Minutes
While this spell is in effect, anytime you cast a ranged, single target damage spell (Chaos Bolt, Chromatic Orb etc.), any creature or object adjacent to the original target takes half damage. For example if a spell does 6 damage to the target, all adjacent creatures/objects take 3 damage. This only extends to damage, not any other effects the spell may have.

Funkeel
2023-06-25, 08:33 AM
Firstly, I want to congratulate you on your excellent flavour text. “The Evil Overlord didn’t hire you so you decided to blow them up” would be a 10/10 character backstory.

Secondly though, I think this subclass may have suffered from some feature creep. I mean, in one subclass alone you have added spells, 3 different bomb dispersal methods, 8 different types of bomb, and that’s all on top of the average amount of feature granted to an artificer subclass. I might be wrong, but I think that’s just too much. The bomb suit feature seems especially powerful. Resistance to all area-of-affect abilities with no caveats seems insane.

What I would do is focus down on what exactly this subclasses’ role is supposed to be in combat. I get that it’s to blow stuff up, but then why on earth does a bomb summon a creature. I think the most novel idea you’ve hit on is a trap-based artificer with the mine ability. I would focus the features around that, and maybe tone down the amount of bombs to one that does damage and one that hinders movement, since that’s really all you would want a mid-combat trap to do.

Finally, the spells added seem a little weak to me other than Boom Baby, but we might want someone else to weigh in on that. I would replace one of them with Flaming Sphere, as it would be a great spell to force your enemies into traps.

All in all, you’re on the right track, you just might want to dial things back a little.

Bhu
2023-06-25, 03:50 PM
Firstly, I want to congratulate you on your excellent flavour text. “The Evil Overlord didn’t hire you so you decided to blow them up” would be a 10/10 character backstory.

Secondly though, I think this subclass may have suffered from some feature creep. I mean, in one subclass alone you have added spells, 3 different bomb dispersal methods, 8 different types of bomb, and that’s all on top of the average amount of feature granted to an artificer subclass. I might be wrong, but I think that’s just too much. The bomb suit feature seems especially powerful. Resistance to all area-of-affect abilities with no caveats seems insane.

What I would do is focus down on what exactly this subclasses’ role is supposed to be in combat. I get that it’s to blow stuff up, but then why on earth does a bomb summon a creature. I think the most novel idea you’ve hit on is a trap-based artificer with the mine ability. I would focus the features around that, and maybe tone down the amount of bombs to one that does damage and one that hinders movement, since that’s really all you would want a mid-combat trap to do.

Finally, the spells added seem a little weak to me other than Boom Baby, but we might want someone else to weigh in on that. I would replace one of them with Flaming Sphere, as it would be a great spell to force your enemies into traps.

All in all, you’re on the right track, you just might want to dial things back a little.

Excess is my forte :smallbiggrin:

The summoning grenade is a callback to stuff from one of my old campaigns (it's basically an in-joke on another forum). The Bomber is essentially meant to cover three roles: making bombs to blow up stuff once the Rogue has snuck it on to the appropriate premises, mining an area defensively if they know something is coming ahead of time, or hucking grenades into the crowd till he runs out. The downside to the bomb suit is the AC id only meh, you can't really stealth all that well in it, and unless you're constantly being hit by area of effect spells or breath weapons it doesn't do much for you. The multiple bomb types are there for when you don't need to kill targets, but could use some versatility instead. Assuming you know whats coming, seeing as you can only make them 1/day.

Funkeel
2023-06-26, 11:09 PM
As fun as complexity can be, it's just way too much to be readable easily. Which is a shame, because you have some really good ideas in here. I think a bit of simplification would go a long way. Here's how I think you could consolidate your design goals, make the subclass more readable, more in-line with most other artificer subclasses, and perhaps even more mad and crazy.

1: Move the gimmicks into the spell list.
While versatility is nice, your target is dead ultimately the goal of most D&D encounters. If I'm going to commit ahead of time to something as the bomb system incentivizes me to do, 9 times out of 10 I'm going to choose the damage. But that's not to say that there's no place for gimmicks. By moving most of the gimmick bomb's effects to the spell list, they will always be prepared in case you need them. And in case you do want them on a time delay, you have the "Glyph of Warding" spell. This also solves the problem of much of the spell list being worse than just throwing a bomb at the problem, especially since you make them with spell slots (which is good). Here's my suggestion for a revised spell list.

3rd: Grease, Fog Cloud
5th: Web, Spike Growth
9th: Glyph of Warding, Stinking Cloud
13th: Summon Aberration, Vitriolic Sphere
17th Cloudkill, Here Comes The Boom*

(If you want to replace here comes the Boom as well, I have a homebrew spell as part of my Bard Subclass I posted that might work for it.)
Spike Growth can be flavoured to some sort of shrapnel grenade, is a trap, and helps you hold your enemies still around that mine you placed down.

2: Reduce the amount of equipment.
While the idea of making physical stuff that your allies can use is an interesting idea, it runs into a few problems. Namely,
-It means that your allies can use your subclass features just as well as you can, if not better. If the thief's "Fast Hands" applies to bomb-throwing, that means that you can do a spell-damage amount of damage as a bonus action. That's probably not ok. And since throwing a bomb isn't a spell, that means that a caster can throw a bomb for good damage and then whip out a powerful bonus action spell for even more burst damage. Heck, action surge means you can throw 2 grenades in one turn with no setup if you give them to a fighter. Put simply, being able to give someone else your subclass feature, while cool, is prone to so, so many abuse cases.
-It also doesn't feel very Crazy and Mad if other, weaker minds can understand your machinations. Like, if your team can use your equipment without being as afraid as your enemies, what's the point? Why would a crazy mad bomber make a device that lets you throw grenades from "a safe distance." Preposterous! The best field data is gathered on the front lines. And a "suit" to "protect you from the dangerous amounts of explosives beeping ominously on your person?" That suggests any amount of prior planning and foresight, which isn't very mad or crazy of you. My advice would be to axe the grenade launcher (artificers are tanky enough to survive the front line, and most parties will find a way to get a bomb that far anyway(bomb homunculus anyone?)) and replace the bomb suit ability with something like this.

Duck and Cover!
If you survived to level 9, natural selection suggests that you know how to get out of the way. As a reaction when you are subjected to a saving throw that targets an area and deals damage, you can gain resistance to damage from that effect whether you succeed or fail the save. If the save is from one of your own bombs or spells, you automatically make the save and take no damage. Alternatively, you can use your reaction and one use of your Flash of Genius feature to grant an ally this benefit when they roll a saving throw against a damaging area effect.

It might need some tweaking or balancing, but something like this I think is a good idea because it's.
-Not permanent and requires a reaction
-Far more Mad and Crazy, and give me a hilarious mental image
-Being immune to your own damage allows you to use yourself as bait
-Give your allies a way to get blown up less. While it is funny to blow up your allies once, they might get sick of it after the 100th time.

Also, axe the detonators, for reasons you will see.

3: Dear God, simplify Grenades

Like, I get that you like complexity, but that one ability is 2232 words. That's 4 times the length of all text from the Wish Spell. I think if any feature is more complicated than wish, you have a problem. The way I see it, it comes down to an overabundance of decision points and abilities spread out throughout the ability. Let's try and rework it by reducing the decisions.

Do you want your enemies dead or discombobulated?
If yes, pick damage. If no, that's not very Crazy or Mad of you.
Do you want the bomb to explode now or later?
If now, pick quick fuse. If later, pick delayed fuse.

With this far simpler decision tree in mind, let's rework the ability.

Arcane Ordinance
When you reach 3rd level, whenever you finish a long rest, you can magically produce a batch of magical bombs via your Ordnance kit. You may create a number of bombs equal to your Proficiency Bonus. You can create additional bombs by expending a spell slot of 1st level or higher for each one. When you do so, you use your action to create the bombs. Creating a bomb requires you to have an Ordnance Kit.

As an action, you may prime the fuse on one bomb. Choose either a Short Fuse or a Delayed Fuse. If you choose short fuse, as part of that action you may throw the bomb at a point within 60 feet of you where it explodes in a 10ft radius. Creatures and objects within that radius must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 Piercing, Acid, Fire, or Poison damage (your choice), or half as much on a success. At 6th level, this damage increases to 3d6 and you can also choose Cold, Lightning, or Thunder Damage. At 9th level, this increases to 5d6 you can also choose Force damage, and the radius increases to 15ft. At 15th level, this damage increases to 8d6 and you can choose any type of damage.

If you choose Delayed Fuse, the bomb will explode in 1 hour regardless. You may detonate it prematurely with your bonus action if you are within 500 feet of it. Only one Delayed Fuse Bomb may be primed at any time, and attempting to arm another results in the active Delayed Fuse Bomb exploding. A delayed fuse bomb is too volatile to throw, and any attempt to do so or launch it in any other way results in it exploding on the spot. A delayed fuse bomb can be (somewhat) safely set down as a bonus action. An exploding delayed fuse bomb means that each creature or object within a 15ft radius must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d10 Piercing, Acid, Fire, or Poison damage (your choice), or half as much on a success. At 6th level, this damage increases to 3d10 and you can also choose Cold, Lightning, or Thunder Damage. At 9th level, this increases to 5d10 you can also choose Force damage, and the radius increases to 30ft. At 15th level, this damage increases to 8d10 and you can choose any type of damage.

Also, a new ability.
Remote Detonation
At 5th level, you may now detonate Delayed Fuse Bombs as a reaction if you are within 500 feet.

There we go. Much shorter, much simpler. It's now a readable ability. The damage could maybe use some tweaking, but overall, I think it works and patches many potential exploits. You can still send a rogue into a building with a dangerous beeping explosive, you can still set a trap (but it's much easier to keep track of just one bomb for the DM) and you can still huck grenades into a crowd of fools. Now that I've spent far to long typing this up, would you mind giving my homebrew subclass a look? I made a thread for it, and you can find it on my profile. I could use some help balancing the damage numbers, and you seem really good at that.

Bhu
2023-06-27, 08:50 PM
I'll try modifying it this weekend. Work is serious drama right now.

Funkeel
2023-06-28, 02:33 PM
Oh, and one more thing. While “Aahahahahahaha” is a very funny ability and a great capstone, the wording is a little dense. I would rework and reword it to “You rig an area of up to X square feet to explode as you would with the delayed fuse option” and then specify dimensions like the Wall of X spells do. To make it simpler yo keep track of, maybe make it so that you set it off it goes off all at once, like a Demoman Sticky Trap. It fact, this ability is basically the climax of meet the demoman, and that’s high praise. I can see this ability being used to blow up the fortress of doom. Conviently, when you get this ability the campaign should be wrapping up, so perfect timing! It might want to specify rules for blowing up buildings as a result.