PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying How to roleplay mind-affecting effects ?

Paragon
2023-06-25, 11:32 AM
So the game I'm in has a Beguiler/Mindbender with the Eternal Charm ability and I'm trying to make sense of how her abilities work.

Eternal Charm is a Spell-Like Ability that mimics charm monster with a permanent duration.
My character was onto the Mindbender's trail and deeply distrusted her which brought her to use Eternal Charm on him. Hefailed the check and now views the caster as his BFF.

Since SRD says
A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells. and since
[stuff about components, focus, xp, casting time and counterspelling] In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell I'm going to say the Mindbender would know if my character had made the save (which means she knows it worked).

Now, my character has been affected by another effect he knows little about. He tries his luck by casting Break Enchantement on himself trying to break said effect (and it fails) but the Break Enchantement still breaks the Eternal Charm effect.

1) As the magic fades away, his antagonist feelings towards the caster come back, instantly and seemingly out of nowhere. Is it that farfetched he'd piece things out together ?
2) When that happens, does the Mindbender feel her thrall has been set free ? The only wording I could find about freeing a creature from her grasp is by casting Eternal Charm on another being but it is silent on whether she'd be notified the effect stopped.

Same question would work for Charm Person, Suggestion and other subtle spells.

PS : I'm sure I read somewhere of a spell that had the same effect as suggestion but carried a special mention that the target would believe the suggestion to be their own idea. That would be a specific enough rule to say that the general one is "the target then remembers the suggestion wasn't their own".

What say you Playground ?

Beni-Kujaku
2023-06-25, 12:09 PM
I don't think they'd be notified if their charm is broken. I'd say the Beguiler can use the "detect enchantment" use of Sense Motive to know if you were still affected or just faking it.

"You can tell that someone’s behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect (by definition, a mind-affecting effect), even if that person isn’t aware of it. The usual DC is 25, but if the target is dominated (see dominate person), the DC is only 15 because of the limited range of the target’s activities."

Edit: for the "can he notice afterwards he was charmed", this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?556232-Does-a-Charmed-creature-know-afterward-that-it-was-Charmed) seems pretty unanymous on "he doesn't know he was charmed, but can know he made some questionable choices, and either blame himself for being a fool or convince himself there was something else, but not knowing what."

Crake
2023-06-26, 02:25 AM
1) As the magic fades away, his antagonist feelings towards the caster come back, instantly and seemingly out of nowhere. Is it that farfetched he'd piece things out together ?

Im not sure that i buy this interpretation. Just because the charm spell ended, doesnt mean he forgets all his time under the charm. His mind has been conditioned to see the mindbender as his friend, and view the questionable things he does in as positive a light as possible. Now, the difference here is that, going forward, when he does questionable stuff, you have cause to be just as angry as before.

The real question is, how long has he been charmed? That will determine how long it takes him to return to a hostile attitude.

Gruftzwerg
2023-06-26, 03:10 AM
Imho the circumstances play a big role here.

Do you know about the magical charming abilities of your enemy?

How much base knowledge does your character have regarding magic?

And if he ain't knowledgeable on that topic, does he maybe trust his caster buddy's observation?

If the PC is alone and has no clue about charming magic at all, he sure is in a bad position. But other circumstances should be of help to get what has happened here.