PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] How unbalanced would this be? (Handwraps, touch attacks)

Fiery Diamond
2023-06-26, 07:17 PM
Hello all. I was thinking about the Automatic Bonus Progression alternate rules in Pathfinder and how two whole categories are basically useless to sorcerers/wizards: armor attunement and weapon attunement. Technically, they could use weapons if they wanted but why would they, and the armor attunement does apply to regular clothing but won't actually be more helpful than Mage Armor would be except at very high levels.

And then I had a thought: Pathfinder has handwraps, which work like an actually functional Amulet of Natural Attacks for unarmed strikes done with the hands in that they can be enchanted like weapons. This is very useful for monks, of course, but it also gave me an idea. How unbalanced does the playground think it would be to allow enhancements to handwraps (especially provided through weapon attunement) to apply to melee touch attacks in addition to ordinary unarmed strikes? It's obviously a boost they wouldn't have otherwise, yes I get it, but it doesn't seem like a gamebreaker to me. Let me be clear that I'm only talking about enhancement bonuses, not other weapon enchantments - I'm not envisioning suddenly allowing a sorcerer to deal Flaming damage on a touch attack.

Of course, my perspective may be somewhat skewed as I play and run Low-optimization, high-power games - or at least I prefer to. Stuff like playing a blaster caster gestalt sorcerer//rogue or a blaster caster gestalt sorcerer//barbarian with homebrewed bloodline to make the classes work better together. So what does the playground think? Is a +5 to touch attacks gained over the course of most of the levels unbalanced?

Kurald Galain
2023-06-27, 01:40 AM
Given that touch attacks almost always hit anyway (many enemies, even at high level, have a touch AC of around 12), I don't think this is going to unbalance anything.

Prime32
2023-07-01, 11:41 AM
Pathfinder already has a way of doing something similar - a level of wizard with the spellslinger archetype lets you apply your gun's enhancement bonuses to your ranged spells' attack rolls and save DCs (and gives them a crit multiplier of x3 if applicable).

The DC boost is by far the most powerful part of that, since touch spells rarely need more accuracy and the damage boost isn't very high even if you're somehow casting multiple spells per round.

And remember that you can already add weapon properties to your touch spells (at the cost of accuracy) by delivering them through an unarmed strike.