PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Cohort(s) and how to get more (3.P)

samduke
2023-06-27, 09:08 AM
so this is for a real life game, using 3.5 and pathfinder 1e rules (3rd party & drag mag can be considered)
Presume any prerequisites can be met.

What I am looking for is any class, PRC, feat or magic item, that can allow the Cohort to be the same level as the character that attracted it.

I know a prestige classes could allow a dragon of the same level, but in this instance I am wanting to attract Angels - not dragons

and then any ways known the gain more than 1 cohort, - this does not include thrallherd which is known to get 2 thralls

any help on this is greatly appreciated

Beni-Kujaku
2023-06-27, 11:26 AM
No rule prevents you from having multiple cohorts, and multiple feats giving cohorts stack (provided you can pay them, remember cohorts are paid half as much as a regular party member during an adventure). Namely, Great Diplomat, from the 3.5 update of Oriental Adventures. You could also have an undead angel cohort with Undead Leadership (if you're neutral), but I'm not sure the rest of your angels will be very pleased to work with undead. Still, Undead Leadership can also be used to attract living followers and cohort, even though your leadership score is lower. I don't know of any way to have a cohort of the same level, but Improved Cohort makes your cohort be of your level -1

Rebel7284
2023-06-27, 11:40 AM
Improved Cohort feat changes it to your character level -1

With that said, the best way to get a cohort that is your character level or higher is probably going to be Zhentarim Skymage. Very compatible with Angels since those do fly. You do need to be a member of a fairly evil organization, but then it becomes a charisma optimization game.
I have some examples here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?654500-Zhentarim-Skymage-The-best-way-to-play-a-Beholder-Mage&highlight=Zhentarim+Skymage

Beni-Kujaku
2023-06-27, 11:54 AM
Improved Cohort feat changes it to your character level -1

With that said, the best way to get a cohort that is your character level or higher is probably going to be Zhentarim Skymage. Very compatible with Angels since those do fly. You do need to be a member of a fairly evil organization, but then it becomes a charisma optimization game.
I have some examples here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?654500-Zhentarim-Skymage-The-best-way-to-play-a-Beholder-Mage&highlight=Zhentarim+Skymage

As I already said in the linked thread, Zhentarim Skymage includes a list of suitable mounts, and taking a "mount" outside of it is very questionable RAW-wise and may lead to TO levels of abuse (though lore-wise, the class supports it). This is simply meant as a warning to the OP to see with their DM how they interpret the Skymage's ability.

Prime32
2023-06-27, 04:55 PM
Paladins can designate a cohort as their special mount for +2 LA, and the bonus Hit Dice can result in it technically being higher level than themselves (especially if you go for an ubermount build).

Dragon Rider PrC from Dragonlance Campaign Setting gets you a higher level cohort than normal, with restrictions.

Witch-Queen PrC from Polyhedron #152 gives you up to five additional cohorts, plus the ability to scry on them at will and cast spells through them.

sleepyphoenixx
2023-06-28, 04:24 AM
Dreadmaster (F&P) gets two additional cohorts, but they have to be chosen from a very small list. It's also evil-only, so no angels.

Thaumaturgist gets a planar cohort at level 5 which can be anything you can call with any Planar Ally spell. It's limited to your ECL -2 though.

ShurikVch
2023-06-28, 11:25 AM
Two feats:

Apprentice (Entertainer) - from Dungeon Master's Guide II - gives you a groupie who sometimes may serve you as a Cohort; the admirer is of any race and class, but no higher than ½ of your character level, and must be within "one step" from you on "alignment grid"; you may use the admirer for Cha mod. days 1/level. Remember how "Extraordinary performance (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/perform.htm)" "may draw attention ... even from extraplanar beings"?.. :smallwink:

Sidekick (Dungeon #90) gives you a Sidekick (Cohort in all but name)

Anthrowhale
2023-06-28, 11:45 AM
Ice Assassin is a high level/high op approach. Use Uncanny Forethought to reduce the casting time and Dweomerkeeper to eliminate costs. Use Programmed Amnesia/Mindrape to work on the drawback, or just apply it to an angel that has been killed. (Of course, it won't improve with levels.)

samduke
2023-06-28, 01:54 PM
well not exactly what I was hoping for but in the end I managed to find a way to legit get 4 cohort types and that works for this - so thankyou to all

Clause
2023-08-06, 03:12 PM
there are some PRCs to do what you want:

thaumathurgist(DMG) you can atract a outsider to be your bodyguard, planar cohort. and if you playing a bullywug, you have 50% chances to atract a extra one :P

Mindbender(comp. arc) can have 2 cohorts independently of DV.

zentharin skymage(champ.ruin) get a creature with DV = your prc level+ charisma bonus.

and with the correct shinenanigans, you can teke all of this PRCs.

Curbludgeon
2023-08-06, 05:10 PM
A level in Master out of Dragonlance can get a character a cohort.