PDA

View Full Version : Help With Classes

Zafuel
2007-12-06, 02:15 PM
Currently, I'm working on a campaign setting called Achtlan (atch-TLAN). I've done a substantial amount from a flavour perspective; the word document runs to 22 pages, including details on nations, professions, history and language. There is some information about equipment as well, but mostly I have flavour rather than rules.
However, I have absolutely no idea how to go about making a class, prestige or otherwise, which has proved to be an obstacle. Mostly, Achtlan has basic classes, but with a kind of secular paladin that I want to design, and I feel that it should have some prestige classes, but I have no idea how to make a class even remotely balanced, and wondered if anyone had any tips.

Thanks in advance for any help! :smallbiggrin:

Lady Tialait
2007-12-06, 02:22 PM
i always see something as balanced if by takeing this PrC you won't be stronger then a wizard of your combined level. and if you have very nice flavor..

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-06, 02:27 PM
You know what the best way to do this is? Try it. Seriously, just take you're best shot even if you know its not balanced then post it here for help. If it makes you feel better add a disclaimer saying you gave it your best shot but need help. Personally, I like helping out balancing classes and would gladly help. And who knows, maybe what you think is unbalanced is actually perfect or just off by a bit, the worst that can happen is that you need to drop a bunch of features or increase prerequisites and expand it out.

Some others may be able to give general advice, but I do best if I can see what exactly you need help with.

Edit: Also, take a look here if you haven't yet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313), it may be useful and if you do post a class, this site is extremely helpful (http://www.pifro.com/dnd/).

Umarth
2007-12-06, 09:19 PM
My normal thumb rule on classes is a pair of questions:

Based on mechanics (not the flavor) and normally with my power gamer hat on.

1) Would someone take this class?
2) Would everyone (or almost everyone) take this class?

Answer should be yes on the first one and no on the second.

If the first one is "No" your class is probably a bit weak.

If the second one is "Yes" then the class is probably to powerful.

Some good follow up questions are:

3) Would someone who took this class, probably, take all the levels of it?

4) Is the class boring when you level up? (many levels where you get no new abilities)

If the answer to 3 is that they probably wouldn't take all the levels then the class is probably front loaded and the ability should be balanced out.

If the answer to 4 is "Yes" then you'll probably want to add in some very minor bonuses or spread the features you have out. (The Marshal is a great example of a class that's boring to level up in. They have levels where the only changes are HD and saves.)