PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Mundane Fire Spread and Damage

OGDojo
2023-06-29, 10:07 AM
So... i had an idea for an encounter and used it but I'm not sure that the damage matched the intended feel i was going for, so to set the stage:

the players walk into a library containing thousands of books on many different bookshelves as well as a couple on an upper interior balcony. they are looking for a specific tome that will give them access to several gate addresses that they could explore (please note that this is in the Stargate Universe so gate addresses would be super useful especially in a new universe) as they step in they roll a perception check or if the DM uses passive perception the players begin looking around. then suddenly someone in the party catches a whif of smoke. now the current town they are in is in ruins so it may be another building or even just some scrap however they investigate and begin opening a door only to take 1d6 points of Heat damage (the 1d6 is to sorta randomize the damage based on how long the player might hold onto the handle for) well upon realizing that the other room is on fire the door crumbles away exposing the fire started by the enemy that was hiding and sprung this trap to get the players to either flee or die as they themselves do not need the gate addresses they were mostly looking for survivors or some other information that they found.

Initiative begins. the fire is treated as its own entity and thus has a place in the turn order. its spread is determined at random (roll a d6, on evens the fire spreads in every direction 1 square unless the square is occupied by fire already) when the players start or end their turn within the flame they take 1d6 damage (please note that this was level 5 and so they had plenty of health to just walk through the blaze if needed so i felt as tho the stakes weren't very high) and thus i feel as tho the damage could be based on level, like every other level the damage of the flames go up a damage die or a die category or treated as a size category larger depending on level. i'd love some dm opinions on it as i think i wanna use it again in another campaign but id love for the players to feel like they are actually in danger of losing either their lives or the information they need.

emulord
2023-06-29, 10:39 AM
In order to make it harder to predict, Id have there be multiple starting fires, and each rolls d6
1: Spread north
2: Spread east
3: Spread south
4: Spread west
5: No spread
6: Spread in all 4 directions.

Also, increase the damage to 2d6 if you're surrounded on all sides with fire. After theres enough fire, start adding smoke that causes blindness for a round on a failed DC 15 fort save. Eventually they should start having to hold their breath and being in danger of suffocating. Check the srd environment page for more rules once the air heats up

Spells like Create water or Control fire or a mundane blanket could be used to put out fires if they try to firefight rather than searching for the book they need.