PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Shadow evocation fireball vs resistance or immunity to fire

redking
2023-06-29, 11:20 AM
Since I cannot Necro this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?485767-Shadow-spells-and-replicating-inhereting-descriptors-from-mimicked-spells), I'll ask here.
A creature with resistance or immunity to fireball gets less damage or no damage when targeted by a fireball spell. Does a shadow evocation fireball get the [fire] descriptor? Or can a shadow evocation fireball burn creatures with without having to bypass resistance or immunity?

Tzardok
2023-06-29, 11:42 AM
Fire resistence doesn't care about wether a spell has the fire descriptor. It only cares about wether a source deals fire damage. The text of fireball says it deals fire damage, and the text of shadow evocation says it works just like the duplicated spell. Ergo, a duplicated fireball deals fire damage and doesn't hurt fire immune creatures.

Gruftzwerg
2023-06-29, 01:55 PM
Spells that deal damage have normal effects unless an affected creature succeeds on a Will save.

Except the added Will save & Illusion tag the spell deals damage as usual. Thus any resistances and immunities apply.

redking
2023-06-30, 06:11 AM
That was my guess too.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-06-30, 08:37 AM
I agree that it will deal fire damage anyway and be affected by resistances, but the original question remains and isn't uninteresting. Does a shadow spell inherit the descriptors of the original? If I have Spell Focus (Evil) and cast a Shadow Evocation (Dread Word), will its DC be increased?

InvisibleBison
2023-06-30, 08:50 AM
I agree that it will deal fire damage anyway and be affected by resistances, but the original question remains and isn't uninteresting. Does a shadow spell inherit the descriptors of the original? If I have Spell Focus (Evil) and cast a Shadow Evocation (Dread Word), will its DC be increased?

I would say the shadow spell does not gain the descriptors of the original. The spell says that it has "normal effects", but a spell's descriptor is not part of its effect.

Raven777
2023-07-03, 02:54 PM
Does a shadow spell inherit the descriptors of the original?

They don't. They are their own spell.

All Shadow Conjurations are Illusion (shadow) [shadow] 1 standard action V, S and nothing else.