PDA

View Full Version : Board What was this game?

Catullus64
2023-06-29, 06:09 PM
There's a game my brother and I used to play when we were kids. It was themed around a fantasy battle between humans and orcs, and had a Warhammer-for-kids feel to it, not that I knew what Warhammer was at the time. Still have some of the miniatures & terrain that came with the game, but have no clue what it was called, much less if they still make it.

How the game worked was that you set up your army of dudes on one half of the table. You place your soldiers, a leader figurine, plastic terrain pieces shaped like walls and towers, and little plastic toy siege engines powered by elastic bands that fire little plastic discs. You take turns firing the siege engines to try to knock over your opponent's soldiers. The base game had catapults and ballistae, but there were also expansions with army-specific stuff like a battering ram or a mortar. (Which were, I seem to recall, hideously unbalanced.

Don't remember very much of the rules. Being that my brother and I were about ten when we played it, we probably ignored/made up most of the rules anyhow. Does this sound familiar to anybody? Any idea what this game was called?

Thane of Fife
2023-06-29, 07:24 PM
I think you're thinking of some version of either Crossbows and Catapults or Weapons and Warriors.

Razade
2023-06-29, 07:27 PM
Neither of those have orcs.

danzibr
2023-06-29, 07:45 PM
Battle Masters?

GeoffWatson
2023-06-29, 08:34 PM
There's a new version coming out soon.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/restorationgames/crossbows-and-catapults

Catullus64
2023-06-29, 08:56 PM
This gave me enough google material to find the answer. The version I owned as a child was called Battleground: Crossbows & Catapults. There seem to have been other similar, but differently themed games under the header of Battleground.

J-H
2023-06-30, 04:31 PM
Thank you for posting this! I am 80% sure we will end up backing this to get a set for my kids.