PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Blade (Poor Mans Lightsaber)

ShadowyFigure
2007-12-06, 03:10 PM
Arcane Blades

By shadowyFigure

And so they came charging through what was left of the outer wars we new it was over the orks flanked us in all directions and we new soon the end would come. And yet, it did not, the sound of an igniting arcane blade filled our crippled fortress and we knew they had come. The Arcanic Knights. Each wielding a Arcane Blade of pure energy created for the very purpose of slaying enemies and slicing through armour. The orks stopped turning to look up at the circle of warrior who quickly jumped from there places unleashing the fury upon the enemies.

Name | Cost | Damage | Critical | Weight | Damage Type
Arcane Blade|----|----|----|----|Slashing|
Lesser|2000gp|1d10|19-20/x2|3lb|Slashing|
Mediate|3000gp|2d6|19-20/x3|3lb|Slashing|
Greater|4000gp|2d8|19-20/x4|3lb|Slashing|
Double Arcane Blade|----|----|----|----|Slashing|
Lesser|4000gp|1d10/1d10|19-20/x2|5lb|Slashing|
Mediate|6000gp|2d6/2d6|19-20/x3|5lb|Slashing|

Arcane Blades

The Arcane Blade is a exotic weapon made up of many different gnomish parts. A Arcane Blade emits a pure blade of arcane energy which is released from it power crystal. This crystal comes in different power levels these levels change the damage and critical of the weapons and size does not effect this. The blade of an Arcane Blade bypasses Damage Reduction apart from that which is alignment based.

In order to use an Arcane Blade you must make a Use Magic Device Check (DC 15) to activate the blade. Or if it is a Double Arcane Blade it requires a Use Magic Device Check (DC20).

Arcane Crystals

The crystals that power and arcane blade are full of pure raw energy and actually the embodiment of Arcane Power. As well as being used in a Arcane Blade where they are completely focused they can be used by them self as a full round action the user can concentrate on the crystal sending out a blast as a ranged touch attack. This blast deals damage depending on the power of the crystal with a 30ft range and uses up 1 charge in the crystal. As the charges in the crystal decrease the crystal declines in power. When the crystal reaches 0 charges it explodes in a 30ft cylinder dealing 20d6 energy damager of pure energy and killing the holder of the crystal. The charges in each crystal are listed below.

Crystal | Charges | Damage
Lesser | 25 | 1d8
Mediate | 50 | 1d10
Greater | 75 | 2d6

ShadowyFigure
2007-12-06, 03:11 PM
reserved......................

ShadowyFigure
2007-12-06, 03:14 PM
reserved......................1

ShadowyFigure
2007-12-06, 03:15 PM
reserved......................2

ShadowyFigure
2007-12-06, 03:16 PM
Something i'm doing. Will Include Class (Similar to the Jedi), Feats, The New Item and How to craft said item.

Mr. Moogle
2007-12-06, 06:49 PM
20d6? thata a little rough... i would do 10d6 lesser 15d6 med and 20d6 greater. Because when you can get one of these at mid/ low levels (and hire a level one adept). Suggest your hired adept to run up to the enemies with a crystal and use it... that is a huge amount of damage.

Neftren
2007-12-06, 07:22 PM
Well the requirements to wield one are quite strict. May I point out that a lightsaber probably doesn't deal the equivalent of 20d6 damage when it explodes...? It's explosion is probably enough to cause loss of say, hands and damage your face a bunch... so like...

Nebo_
2007-12-06, 07:41 PM
17-20/x4

Way, way too powerful. Quick, hit it with a nerf stick.

Tyrolin
2007-12-06, 07:52 PM
I'm just wondering why one side of a mediate dual blade is 2d6 while the other is 1d10. Since you're basing this off of Star Wars, this would mean that Darth Mauls blade does greater damage with one side than with the other identical side.

I mean, as far as I know, a hit with a lightsaber = something falling off, so....

Neftren
2007-12-06, 08:06 PM
No, it makes sense. There have been lightsabers in the past that have been made with one end shorter than the other. I can't recall names at the moment, but yes they exist.

Edit: Also, a lightsaber hit is not guaranteed to cut soemthing off. Cortosis ore stops lightsabers. So does extremely thick Durasteel such as is used in Ship Hulls and bulkheads.

GoC
2007-12-06, 10:30 PM
Heh.
I created a class called Master of the Flaming Blade based around that weapon.
I'll post some info about it when I have access to the comp I stored it on.
It was of course based on the jedi and was intended as a slightly overpowered (a bit below Druid) replacement for the monk (battlefield control, survival and caster slaying) for those who don't have ToB and/or just like the flavour.

RTGoodman
2007-12-06, 10:47 PM
Yeah, 17-20/x4 is WAY to strong, unless it's going to require new feats for each "tier" (EWP (lesser arcane blade), etc.) that have the lower ones as pre-requisites. And maybe even then. Also, I agree that it would probably be better just to standardize the damage for both sides of a double-bladed arcane blade.

Also, are they light, one-handed, or two-handed weapons? I didn't see that, or maybe a missed it, but it's a pretty important distinction.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-12-06, 10:52 PM
I would make them all have 19-20/x2. The extra damage from the different crystals I think is enough extra damage.

Fizban
2007-12-06, 11:45 PM
I'll take this opportunity to make the same similar comment I did in an extremely old thread back when I first joined:

It's kinda weird, but a lightsaber would be best modeled by incorporeal touch attacks. Since a normal touch attack, such as with flame blade ignores force armor as well as normal armor, but an incorporeal one doesn't. Unless you want to describe shields as deflection bonuses only.

But anyway, to the actual thread. I agree, way overpowered. Standard practice is to only increase either the threat range or the multiplier, not both. When you consider that for 3.5 they even removed the stacking of keen and improved critical even, 17-20/x4 is obscene. It intrigues me that you don't have them bypassing armor or shields in any way at the moment, just dealing tons of damage and critical, I haven't seen that before.

ShadowyFigure
2007-12-07, 03:13 AM
20d6? thata a little rough... i would do 10d6 lesser 15d6 med and 20d6 greater. Because when you can get one of these at mid/ low levels (and hire a level one adept). Suggest your hired adept to run up to the enemies with a crystal and use it... that is a huge amount of damage.

Ummm. No. Because the power decreases as you lose charges until reach 0 were it explodes and kills you. it pure arcane energy compressed into the form of a crystal. when the charges run out the crystal becomes unstable and goes BOOM! With a flow of arcane enrergy. Basicly takeing the holder with it and everyone within 30ft.

Also the blade is not effected by the charge rules.

Yeah, 17-20/x4 is WAY to strong, unless it's going to require new feats for each "tier" (EWP (lesser arcane blade), etc.) that have the lower ones as pre-requisites. And maybe even then. Also, I agree that it would probably be better just to standardize the damage for both sides of a double-bladed arcane blade.

Also, are they light, one-handed, or two-handed weapons? I didn't see that, or maybe a missed it, but it's a pretty important distinction.

One feat will required to wield the lessr form as well as other feats for the higher tiers. These will be given as bonus feats to the class I'm building.

I'm just wondering why one side of a mediate dual blade is 2d6 while the other is 1d10. Since you're basing this off of Star Wars, this would mean that Darth Mauls blade does greater damage with one side than with the other identical side.

I mean, as far as I know, a hit with a lightsaber = something falling off, so....

That was a typo.

I also have lowered the criticals.