PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Poll on Nechronica

AdamSpeg
2023-06-30, 05:28 PM
What's your opinion on Weird Japanese RPGs, specifically stuff by our guy Ryo Kamiya like Maid RPG, Nechronica, Golden Sky Stories, etc. Been collecting Japanese RPGs for years but can never convince my usual group to try them out. Unsure on if to blame it on "The 5e Comfort Zone" or just the general social stigma of role-playing as zombie girls or house maids that are in love with the DM-insert. I'm more of a "try anything once" kind of player. If anyone has any actual experience playing these with a group, I'd love to hear it.

akma
2023-07-02, 05:29 AM
I'm not familiar enough with the rest to comment on them, but Nechronica has a very cool and interesting combat system, I even built a homebrewed system that is based on it and ran a short game of it, it was fun.
I can see why people would be turned off by the original fluff, but I didn't use it.

KorvinStarmast
2023-07-06, 01:20 PM
What's your opinion on Weird Japanese RPGs, specifically stuff by our guy Ryo Kamiya like Maid RPG, Nechronica, Golden Sky Stories, etc. Been collecting Japanese RPGs for years but can never convince my usual group to try them out. Unsure on if to blame it on "The 5e Comfort Zone" or just the general social stigma of role-playing as zombie girls or house maids that are in love with the DM-insert. I'm more of a "try anything once" kind of player. If anyone has any actual experience playing these with a group, I'd love to hear it. We had about three sessions of Golden Sky Stories that were quite enjoyable, but it took me a bit to get the 'feel' of the game. (I tended to play the bird). I wish we had done it in person: the online sessions were good, but we missed some of the use of tokens that I think helps one grok how you pass various points and things to other players.

Give it a try. It's fun. :smallsmile: