PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dread Necromancer/Scabrous Touch

SirNibbles
2023-06-30, 06:00 PM
Scabrous Touch (Su): Starting at 6th level, once per day a dread necromancer can use her charnel touch to inflict disease on a creature she touches. This ability works like the contagion spell (see page 213 of the Player's Handbook), inflicting the disease of her choice immediately, with no incubation period, unless the target makes a successful Fortitude save (DC10 + 1/2 her class level + her Cha modifier). The DC for subsequent saving throws to resist the effects of the disease depends on the disease inflicted; see page 292 of the Dungeon Master's Guide for details.

Heroes of Horror, page 86

I think it is very likely that the RAI is for Scabrous touch to allow you to choose from any disease that is on the Contagion table (Player's Handbook, page 213).

However, I think the RAW is very ambiguous: the ability works like the Contagion spell. However, it is not the Contagion spell. Therefore, when Scabrous Touch says 'the disease of her choice', it could be taken to mean 'the diseases of her choice', as in any disease that the Dread Necromancer wants to choose, with no incubation period, unless the target makes a Fort save against a DC (which is different from that of Contagion).

The use of the word 'like' instead of 'as' (as would be standard for abilities that emulate spells or other effects) is my primary source of contention. It can be like Contagion, but still different in the way listed immediately after, i.e. being able to use any disease you choose.

Gruftzwerg
2023-07-01, 12:09 AM
Scabrous Touch (Su): Starting at 6th level, once per day a dread necromancer can use her charnel touch to inflict disease on a creature she touches. This ability works like the contagion spell (see page 213 of the Player's Handbook), inflicting the disease of her choice immediately, with no incubation period, unless the target makes a successful Fortitude save (DC10 + 1/2 her class level + her Cha modifier). The DC for subsequent saving throws to resist the effects of the disease depends on the disease inflicted; see page 292 of the Dungeon Master's Guide for details.

Heroes of Horror, page 86

I think it is very likely that the RAI is for Scabrous touch to allow you to choose from any disease that is on the Contagion table (Player's Handbook, page 213).

However, I think the RAW is very ambiguous: the ability works like the Contagion spell. However, it is not the Contagion spell. Therefore, when Scabrous Touch says 'the disease of her choice', it could be taken to mean 'the diseases of her choice', as in any disease that the Dread Necromancer wants to choose, with no incubation period, unless the target makes a Fort save against a DC (which is different from that of Contagion).

The use of the word 'like' instead of 'as' (as would be standard for abilities that emulate spells or other effects) is my primary source of contention. It can be like Contagion, but still different in the way listed immediately after, i.e. being able to use any disease you choose.

While I get your confusion, I don't think that RAW really differs here.

"works like ... except ..."
Works like indicates that unless "exceptions" are mentioned, you should assume that it works the same.

Think about SLA (spell LIKE ability): a SLA works like the same as a Spell unless otherwise noted (exception)

When Scabrous Touch says "the disease of her choice", it just repeats what the Spell does (a friendly reminder). I don't see any intentions in the sentence structure that they intended any changes/exceptions here.

It doesn't say " except that you can choose any disease" or something similar indicating the intention to change what you are allowed to. A repetition doesn't imply any intentions to change something.

Imho it just repeats what you can do as the rules often do (repeating stuff that you should already know).

Chronos
2023-07-01, 07:19 AM
Yeah, this isn't Rules as Written versus Rules as Intended. This is Rules as Written and Clearly Intended vs. Rules as I Wish They Were Written.

What do you think "works like the Contagion spell" means, if it's not "works like the Contagion spell"?