PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Combat Style fix

StickMan
2007-12-06, 04:00 PM
The following change to the Ranger Combat styles is designed to increases the effectiveness.

Note this assumes that two weapon fighting, Improved two weapon fighting and Greater two weapon fighting have been fused in to one feat.

Combat Style (Ex)

At 2nd level, a ranger must select one of two combat styles to pursue: archery or two-weapon combat. This choice affects the character’s class features but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way.

If the ranger selects archery, he is treated as having the Precise Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the ranger selects two-weapon combat, he is treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat. If the ranger has all ready taken the Two-Weapon Fighting feat he instead is treated as having the Dual Strike feat.

The benefits of the ranger’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Improved Combat Style (Ex)

At 6th level, a ranger’s aptitude in his chosen combat style (archery or two-weapon combat) improves. If he selected archery at 2nd level, he gains the special ability Close Combat Shot: The ranger may now make attacks with a ranged weapon while in a threatened square and not provoke an attack of opportunity.

If the ranger selected two-weapon combat at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Two weapon Defense feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

As before, the benefits of the ranger’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Combat Style Mastery (Ex)

At 11th level, a ranger’s aptitude in his chosen combat style (archery or two-weapon combat) improves again. If he selected archery at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Improved Precise Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the ranger selected two-weapon combat at 2nd level, he gains master over two weapon fighting and reduces the penalty for fighting with two weapons by 2.

As before, the benefits of the ranger’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Snipers Shot (Ex): At 3nd level when ever a Ranger who has selected the archery as his chosen combat style makes a ranged attack against a foe who is flatfooted or who is in melee combat, but does not have cover or concealment he deals 1d6 extra damage on a successful attack. This damage increases by 1d6 every 3 levels. The damage from snipers shot decreases by 1d6 damage for every half range increment of the weapon the ranger is using after the first. (example a 6th level ranger deals 2d6 points Sniper shot damage with in 50ft, 1d6 damage at 50-100ft and no extra damage after 100ft).

Twin Strike (Ex): At 3rd level when ever a Ranger who has selected the two-weapon combat style hits a foe with both of his weapons he deals an extra 1d6 damage with the off hand weapon. This damage increases by 1d6 every 3 levels.

Nebo_
2007-12-06, 08:45 PM
Twin Strike (Ex): At 3rd level when ever a Ranger who has selected the two-weapon combat style hits a foe with both of his weapons he deals and extra 1d6 damage on a successful attack. This damage increases by 1d6 every 3 levels.

On which attack? If he hits the first one, he might not hit on the second and won't get the damage. So you don't know whether or not to apply it. Rend would be better.

boomwolf
2007-12-06, 09:10 PM
{scrubbed}

Nebo_
2007-12-06, 09:25 PM
I know if it's if he hits with both attacks. But how does he know, on the first attack, if the second one is going to hit. How does he know to add the damage on the first one?

StickMan
2007-12-06, 09:36 PM
I know if it's if he hits with both attacks. But how does he know, on the first attack, if the second one is going to hit. How does he know to add the damage on the first one?

You don't add the damage to both attacks it would only be applied on the second attack. I'll try to clarify it in the text.

and sorry to say mate, its not much of a fit.

Well I'm not tiring to over do it Ranger is an OK class if you play it right and because I don't play with power crazy gamers I'm not to worried about trying to bring the class up to Codzilla level.

Nebo_
2007-12-06, 09:52 PM
What about when the ranger has more than one off hand attack? Does he just apply the damage to the off hand if the corresponding fore hand strike hits?

StickMan
2007-12-06, 10:11 PM
What about when the ranger has more than one off hand attack? Does he just apply the damage to the off hand if the corresponding fore hand strike hits?

Yea thats the original intention any clue how I can word that better, in game legal language.

2007-12-06, 10:21 PM
I like it. Makes TWF a bit nicer, whithout trying to make the ranger into a OMGWTFUBERCLASS

StickMan
2007-12-07, 10:22 AM
I like it. Makes TWF a bit nicer, whithout trying to make the ranger into a OMGWTFUBERCLASS

Thanks good to see someone likes it, all I'm going for is a minor power boost but nothing that is going to over do it. At first I was thinking about a sneak attack useable on favored enemies but I've never like to have to much focus on favored enemy any way and then I though about how the styles could use a bit of a boost and so I figured I would work a sneak attack style thing in to each of them. I think they work with out stepping on the rogues toes.

Frosty
2007-12-07, 11:50 AM
I think I like it. Now if only the Ranger's animal companion were a tad better...

StickMan
2007-12-07, 11:57 AM
I think I like it. Now if only the Ranger's animal companion were a tad better...

I suggest ditching the animal companion and going with the player handbook two variant of Distracting attack. The ability is very good especially for Archer Rangers.