PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Shadow Sorcerer spells/feats selection

Selion
2023-07-02, 05:30 AM
Hi, just began curse of strahd (PLS no spoilers of any kind) with a shadow sorcerer, looking for thematic and strong spells.
I expect to encounter a lot of undead/werewolves, so my spell selection is affected accordingly, also, i'm planning my build until level 10, which could be the level cap in this campaign

I started with 18 cha (17 +1 from shadow touched via variant human)

so, lets dive in my actual plan

cantrips: mage hand, message, ray of frost, minor illusion, chill touch (level 4)
level 1: mage armor, shield, chaos bolt
level 2: suggestion, invisibility (from feat), darkness (from subclass), web
level 3: slow, lightning bolt, counterspell
level 4: dimension door
level 5: summon draconic spirit, synaptic static
(spells replaced)

Spells i'm undecided (2 left to select)
charm person, disguise self, detect thoughts, phantasmal force, charm monsters, gaseous form, greater invisibility, hold persons, hold monsters

spells which are strong but i think they don't fit thematically/mechanically with this character, or that simply i don't like:
polymorph, banishment, silvery barbs, animate objects, Hypnotic Pattern (this one could be selected in place of slow, but i think slow is funnier and less encounter-disruptive)

Metamagic
subtle spell, empowered spell (or transmuted spell)

Feats

shadow touched, ASI CHA, metamagic adept (quickened spell, extended spell) this one is good to reach 20 cha by level 4, metamagic adept is primarily for the 2 bonus sorc point

OR

shadow touched, telepathic, fey touched (bane)

Battle routine
Build comes inline by level 6, nova routine is opening with hound of ill omen + slow into lightning bolt(s) in subsequent rounds.

Some issues with this build

My first concern is that it doesn't feel shadowy enough, i sure can refluff some spells to fit the theme, but it seems still a little bland to me.

I have a single dmg spell, which is ok in 5e, i selected lightning bolt over fireball because i need to fire it in melee clusters to (ab)use my sweet hounds of ill omen. Still i fear resistances, i could take transmuted spell just in case, or just roll with it whenever i find something lightning resistant and enjoy empowered lightnings in most cases.

I've got no synergies for darkness, seeing into magical darkness on paper is a very strong perk, but simply there aren't enough spell attacks in 5e. If i take telepathic as a feat, i could use it defensively and tell my comrades what it's happening, but it still feels a situational use.

Hold persons/monsters have strong synergies with hound of ill omen, but they don't work on undead, so mbe it's better skip them in this campaign.

That's all, i'm a little upset with WOTC because they gave sorcerers such a narrow spell selection, come on, why a shadow sorcerer cannot summon shadow-spawns? where are my black tentacles?

BTW, any hint/suggestions?

J-H
2023-07-02, 08:33 AM
You may want to take chill touch earlier. It shuts down regeneration, which is good against some undead types and other enemies...not sure how many, though.

I had lightning bolt on a wizard, and found it hard to hit more than two enemies at a time. Fireball is much better for AOE damage.

You are devoting your entire set of 1st level slots to nothing but Shield. I like Magic Missile, because it always hits. Chaos bolt is mediocre. In combat, you are basically stuck with cantrips and lightning bolt, with the rest of your selection being utility spells and defenses. I think you will find that boring.

Have you tried discussing getting bonus spells with your DM, like the Tasha's classes get? Here's what I give shadow sorcs:
Bane
False Life
Blindness/Deafness
Misty Step
Bestow Curse
Summon Shadowspan ©
Shadow of Moil
Phantasmal Killer
Enervation
Antilife Shell

Selion
2023-07-02, 12:26 PM
You may want to take chill touch earlier. It shuts down regeneration, which is good against some undead types and other enemies...not sure how many, though.

I had lightning bolt on a wizard, and found it hard to hit more than two enemies at a time. Fireball is much better for AOE damage.

You are devoting your entire set of 1st level slots to nothing but Shield. I like Magic Missile, because it always hits. Chaos bolt is mediocre. In combat, you are basically stuck with cantrips and lightning bolt, with the rest of your selection being utility spells and defenses. I think you will find that boring.

Have you tried discussing getting bonus spells with your DM, like the Tasha's classes get? Here's what I give shadow sorcs:
Bane
False Life
Blindness/Deafness
Misty Step
Bestow Curse
Summon Shadowspan ©
Shadow of Moil
Phantasmal Killer
Enervation
Antilife Shell

I highlighted the spells that already i can pick with selection or feats. I wouldn't try to convince my DM to change some minor rules, because if every player did it it would became a nightmare, there is, though, a conjure shadow demon in a UA, i think i can work on that.

I understand your concern about damage spells, and i concur that magic missile is the best 1st level dmg spell, but after level 5 the dmg output of a 1st level dmg spell is not that higher than a cantrip, chaos bolt is not that good, but i think is fun, for some levels i think that i can rely on it, after level 5 there isn't a point in keeping 1st level dmg spells.

So that, my spell selection would look like

cantrips: mage hand, message, ray of frost, minor illusion, chill touch (level 4)
level 1: mage armor, shield, chaos bolt, bane (fey touched), silent image (shadow touched)
level 2: suggestion, invisibility (shadow touched),phantasmal killer, darkness (from subclass), misty step (fey touched), detect thoughts (telepathic)
level 3: slow, lightning bolt/fireball, counterspell
level 4: dimension door, conjure shadow demon/charm monsters
level 5: summon draconic spirit, synaptic static

11 spells known by level 10, i'm full

slow will be refluffed as a mass of tendrils, or a living nightmare for my opponents, the draconic spirit will be a shadow dragon, the only oddity fluff-wise is fireball/lightning bolt, but i need at least something to do some dmg

PS: i could try at least with summon shadow-spawn, if as a DM you flinch at a shadow sorcerer conjuring a shadow, you have lost the will to play :D