PDA

View Full Version : 5e-Oath of Ignition-PEACH

RustyDemiGod
2023-07-03, 01:02 AM
Oath of Ignition

Paladins that take the Oath of Ignition are a nomadic lot. They take to the roads for the sake of personal growth, and the glory that comes with burning the impurities from the land.

-Passion: Burn hott and bright. Put everything that you are into everything that you do.

-Power: It is in fire’s nature to grow. One spark can be the herald of a conflagration. Always strive to be stronger than you were yesterday, and better yet tomorrow.

-Control: Fire without purpose is destruction. Learn to hone your flame and focus it. Spare what is right and good. Burn the rest.

Oath of Ignition Spells
Paladin Level Spells
3rd Faerie Fire, Hellish Rebuke
5th Flame Blade, Flaming Sphere
9th Fireball, Elemental Weapon*
13th Fire Shield, Wall of Fire
17th Immolation, Conjure Elemental**
*Fire Damage Only
**Only conjures fire elementals

-Channel Divinity: When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two channel divinity options:
-Turn The Elements: You can use your Channel Divinity to lace your words with power that inspires primordial fear in elementals. As an action, you present your holy symbol, and each elemental within 30ft of you that can hear you must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the elemental is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage.
A turned elemental must spend it’s turn trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can not willingly move into a space within 30ft of you. It also can not take reactions. For it’s action, it can only use the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.
If the elementals true form is concealed by an illusion, shape shifting, or other effect, that form is revealed while it is turned.

-Scorching Step: You can use your Channel Divinity to move with the ferocious speed of the conflagration. As an action you may use the Dash action without provoking attacks of opportunity. All adjacent creatures to your line of movement must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d10 fire damage.

-Aura of Summer: Starting at 7th level, you emit comforting warmth like a tavern’s hearth. You and friendly creatures within 10ft of you gain resistance to fire and cold damage.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30ft.

-Scorching Rebuke: Starting at 15th level, no attack against you goes unpunished. Whenever a creature hits you with an attack, the creature takes fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) if you are not incapacitated.

-Searing Avatar: At 20th level, you become an unstoppable force of wrath. As an action, you can ignite your form to become a herald of the inferno, gaining the following benefits for 1 minute:
-You gain immunity to Fire and Cold damage
-You surround yourself with super heated air forming a shield that imposes disadvantage on all ranged attacks against you.
-You gain a breath weapon. As a bonus action make a ranged spell attack against a target within 30ft. If the attack hits, the target takes fire damage equal to 3d10 + your Charisma modifier.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Calen
2023-07-03, 02:09 PM
Looks nice, I find the phrasing of Aura of Summer a little strange. Why is Summer protection from heat? :smalltongue:

RustyDemiGod
2023-07-03, 04:12 PM
Aura of….insulation? I won’t lie i don’t like the name either but my brain draws a blank.
Aura of Pyre?
Aura of…Shade?
Aura of the Salamander?

Or reverse the words?
Firelord’s Aura?

SyntheticHuman
2023-07-03, 06:22 PM
I like this concept, especially the idea of turning elementals; it never occurred to me before that there should be options to turn things that aren't undead.
I think the other Channel Divinity option, however, is a tad underpowered. I'd either make the current version a bonus action instead of an action or buff the damage to 2d10, possibly + Cha.
Other than that, very cool concept and very cool execution.

JNAProductions
2023-07-03, 06:42 PM
I see nothing particularly remarkable in terms of balance. The only change I'd make for mechanical reasons is to make the Dash Channel Divinity a Bonus Action.
The lore around it is neat.

I'd allow this at my table, if a player asked. :)

RustyDemiGod
2023-07-04, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I’m pretty new to home brewing and find I really enjoy it and this place is always super helpful.

I’ll rename Aura of Summer to Salamander’s Aura, as for the other part I believe I will change Scorching Step to a bonus action and add Cha to damage.

I’m looking for flash speed and that just feels like it should be a bonus action, but would that in addition to the cha bonus damage be too much?

JNAProductions
2023-07-04, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I’m pretty new to home brewing and find I really enjoy it and this place is always super helpful.

I’ll rename Aura of Summer to Salamander’s Aura, as for the other part I believe I will change Scorching Step to a bonus action and add Cha to damage.

I’m looking for flash speed and that just feels like it should be a bonus action, but would that in addition to the cha bonus damage be too much?

Nah, it'd be fine. Though I would add language making clear that a creature can only be affected by Scorching Step once, even if you run circles around them.