PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [pathinder1e] Opinion request: Taking some Eldrich Heritage feats.

Draconi Redfir
2023-07-05, 03:09 PM
Been on the fence about this for a long time now, and next level I'd be able to start down this path more or less unobstructed. but I'm not entirely sure if i want too / should, so I'm hoping i can get some third party opinions here.

Context: Currently I'm playing a Fighter in a "Skull and Shackles" campaign, Pirate-adventure. My character is one of those "i don't like / trust magic" kind of people, and prefers to use mundane methods whenever possible. Because of this, they don't really like getting hit with "breathe underwater" or "swim faster" spells unless absolutely necissary, because they don't trust the casters enough to believe they or the spell won't just randomly cut out while they're in the middle of the water. Been getting around this with the help of air bladders and swim-fins.

Since this is a pirate-themed adventure, we're naturally in a lot of "swimming" situations. we've already had three or four underwater combats and we're only level six.

Main thing: So! i was thinking: What if i started down the "Eldrich heritage" feat chain for the "Aquatic" bloodline (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/aquatic-bloodline/)? The "Improved eldrich heritage" feat would give me a swim speed of 30ft from the 3rd level ability, and the DM said that he'd allow me to take this as a purely mechanical buff, so lore-wise, the character wouldn't actually be a sorcerer at all, they'd just be a really good swimmer. And the "Dehydrating touch" ability from the first "Eldrich heritage" feat could just be a non-magical nonlethal punch.

The Cons:
This would be a three-feat tax, requiring Skill focus, Eldrich heritage, and then improved eldrich heritage.
It might not be super needed in the long run? We DO have two aquatic characters in the part with natural swim speeds.
We're not always underwater, most of the time we're on a ship or island.

The Pros:
I'm a fighter, so i get a lot of feats anyways, i could spare to loose some.
Since i only get three skill points per level, Skill focus in Swim could still be a good investment regardless. I'm already looking at taking other skill-increasing feats like "Sea legs" or "Persuasive".
Having a swim speed in an aquatic campaign is always handy. And it'd be non-magical, so it'd let me play the "Badass normal" character I'm going for.
Due to the mechanics of the Eldrich Heritage feats, the abilities i gain would improve as i level up. My 8th level character (earliest i could get Eldrich Heritage proper) would count as a 6th level sorcerer, meaning the ability i get from it would improve from what's on the tin.

idk if general build information is needed for personal opinions, but what do you guys think? Good idea? bad idea? unsure? Wondering what other people think here, could really use some pushing in either direction.

ciopo
2023-07-05, 03:19 PM
There is a feat called master swimmer, that gives a swim speed,and requires skillfocus swim :)

There is also a fighter archetype, aquanaut, but that's probably too much deviation from your game plan

Draconi Redfir
2023-07-05, 03:26 PM
There is a feat called master swimmer, that gives a swim speed,and requires skillfocus swim :)

That could be an option... it's not on the main general feats list on the SRD though which is suspicious, is it 3rd party? At the very least, Aquatic Adventures isn't on the allowed books list, though it's not on the banned book list either, so it'd be DM choice.

Main problem i could see with it is requiring 10 ranks in Swim, and i currently have... *checks notes* ... one. And as i said, i only have three skills per level, so I'd need to pour every skill i get into swim all the way until level 10.

it does also say "your racial bonus on Swim checks for having a swim speed is +2, instead of +8.", which makes me think this might only apply to a specific race, since my race has ZERO racial bonus to swim.

There is also a fighter archetype, aquanaut, but that's probably too much deviation from your game plan

Yeah i did look at that, but it didn't work out in the end and i just went base fighter. I wanted to get the Armor Training ability so i could improve my AC, since i'm trying to focus on Light armor. Heavy armor isn't a good idea when you're on the sea.

Kurald Galain
2023-07-05, 03:39 PM
I'd suggest a one-level dip in Tidal Trickster rogue; that gives you a bunch of extra skill points, a very piratey +1d6 sneak attack, and a swim speed, no questions asked.

For variation, two levels of Order of the Waves Cavalier also work, or three levels of Horizon Walker archetype. HTH.

ciopo
2023-07-05, 03:48 PM
Main problem i could see with it is requiring 10 ranks in Swim, and i currently have... *checks notes* ... one. And as i said, i only have three skills per level, so I'd need to pour every skill i get into swim all the way until level 10.

it does also say "your racial bonus on Swim checks for having a swim speed is +2, instead of +8.", which makes me think this might only apply to a specific race, since my race has ZERO racial bonus to swim.

Yeah i did look at that, but it didn't work out in the end and i just went base fighter. I wanted to get the Armor Training ability so i could improve my AC, since i'm trying to focus on Light armor. Heavy armor isn't a good idea when you're on the sea.

If you're getting skill focus swim, I was taking for granted you'd go for 10 ranks anyway for the +6 instead of "only" +3

Check the rules for swim, the skill. Normally any swim speed at all grants a +8 racial bonus to swim checks, that's the bonus that's lowered to only +2 with master swimmer

Edit: what about 5 ranks in swim and signature skill(swim)? Feels it's the smallest investment and even if it's only 10ft swim speed it is still better than using normal land speed

Draconi Redfir
2023-07-05, 06:00 PM
Edit: what about 5 ranks in swim and signature skill(swim)? Feels it's the smallest investment and even if it's only 10ft swim speed it is still better than using normal land speed

you get 10ft of swim with the swim fins as-is, and i'd doubt they'd stack.

the class options could work, though I'm mildly hesitant as i've already got one level in Brawler, and wanted to take a couple of levels in gunslinger as well. worried i'd make a spaghetti monster if i add too many.

They do come from the same aquatic adventures book as the feat, so i supposed i'll ask the DM what he thinks about it first.

Right now what we got is:

Allowed Books:
• Pathfinder Core Rulebook
• Advanced Players' Guide
• Advanced Races Guide (Ch. 1 and Ch. 2 Featured Race only. Ch. 3 see below for list of allowable races)
• Ultimate Combat
• Ultimate Magic
• Ultimate Equipment
• Pathfinder Unchained (Classes only)
• Advanced Class Guide
• Ultimate Campaign (Traits only.)
• Ultimate Intrigue (Feats Only)
• Official Pathfinder books (Please inform DM of the source and rules used to submit for DM ruling.)
• Optional rules in the above books are prohibited up to DM discretion

Prohibited/ DM use only:
• Mythic Adventures
• Occult Adventures
• Horror Adventures (Alternate Racial Traits and Favored Class Option allowed)
• Ultimate Wilderness
• Technology Guide
• Leadership Feat
• No Summoners (Unchained Summoner only)
• Third party Books

So stuff from those is probably the best to look for.

Draconi Redfir
2023-07-07, 07:45 AM
So asked the DM, and he's apparently looking into / mulling over Aquatic Adventures, so no yes/no just yet.

in the meantime, any opinions on the original question of "To get eldritch heritage or not to get eldritch heritage"? Good idea? bad idea? etc?