PDA

View Full Version : Please help me build my children characters

Zhepna
2023-07-05, 11:24 PM
Hi,

I initiate my children to dnd and 2 of them that were not playing will join the game.

We are lvl 3, 2 flaws allowed, all 3.5 and pathfinder books allowed.

child #1 wants to run fast, move object with telekinesis, be invisible. I'm thinking about wizard with a homemade card system for the spells since wizard is not the most friendly character for a 7 years old girl playing her first character.

child #2 wants to fight with a sword made of flame, have a frost breath, creat bomb that stick to ennemies (and ideally not triggered by a member of the party but I told him I'm not sure it exist). He also wants to summuns ninjas...

The fire sword could easily be an magic item. For summoning, I could refluff another summon spell and says it summons ninja instead of the original summons. Since frost breath can be casted by druid, cleric, sorcerer and wizard, I think a druid could do it.

Thanks for your ideas and have a nice day.

Elvensilver
2023-07-06, 01:31 AM
Perhaps an alchemist (Pathfinder) for child #2?

They can throw bombs (sticky ones too, although the Sticky Bomb Discovery can only be taken from level 10 on, just create alchemical glue and stick it to the bombs or take the Entangling Bomb Discovery).

They also have the option of learning Breath Weapon Bomb as a Discovery or take the spell Firebelly (refluff to frostbelly).

They can't use swords normally, but there are archetypes (grenadier) and races to make up for that.

As for summoning ninjas... I got nuthin'. Sadly, the alchemist is not a summoning class.

Alternatively, wizards can do anything. Including throwing bombs. An elven Arcane Bomber could throw bombs, (made sticky with alchemical glue), cast Firebelly (Frostbelly), wield a flaming sword, summon monsters (=ninjas). But oh god, the archetype is bad and gives up a lot.

Since your children want to play characters with an ecclectic choice of abilities that are difficult to model in the existing rules, perhaps another system might serve you better than 3.5/Pathfinder? It might be hard though, since you already started your game...

For example, Mutants and Masterminds has a very open system for generating abilities matching to a character, and it fits the superhero vibe I'm getting from child #1's request.

Gruftzwerg
2023-07-06, 01:37 AM
I would give a em a temporary template where they can grow out.

Something like:
-2 STR
+2 DEX
-2 INT or WIS (or -1 each)
+2 CHA
small size

I misread the OP. I thought the OP wants children as characters.. still waking up, sorry...

Paragon
2023-07-06, 01:45 AM
Child #1 : I'd go for the Ninja class with levels in the Ghost racial class. Since ninja sucks and ghost is OP it should balance out while having everything they want to do.

Child #2 : Dragonfire Adept has the breath attack and the ability to use Invocations ; get them the Warlock's one called Summon Swarm and refluff it into mini ninjas, that ought to do it. For the flaming sword, as you said the item itself exist so you're covered there.

Anthrowhale
2023-07-06, 02:06 AM
W.r.t. "be invisible", Primordial Giant is an LA+0 template which provides invisibility at will as an SLA.
W.r.t. "telekinesis" the simplest version of this is Mage Hand seems like the baseline. At spell level 3 there is Greater Mage Hand, and then full blown Telekinesis.
W.r.t. "run fast" Expeditious Retreat or Travel Devotion seem good.

So, maybe Primordial Giant Half-Giant Sorcerer ?

For child #2: Druid seems reasonable. A scimitar+1+flaming is beyond wealth by level, but druids have "Flame Blade" as a level 2 spell. I'm not sure what to do with sticky bombs, but there are alchemicals available to everyone including a tanglefoot bag and alchemist's fire.

Edit: w.r.t. ninjas, I'd suggest taking Invisible Spell and applying it to summons.

loky1109
2023-07-06, 01:31 PM
For summon ninjas look at Luminous Assassin spell-line from PHB2.