PDA

View Full Version : Old School Wild Mage (Base Class)

Yrnes
2007-12-06, 06:21 PM
The Complete Arcane pays homage to AD&D's Wild Mage with the appropriately named Prestige Class. My brother and I were anxious of its arrival, but very disappointed with the outcome. While it retained a lot of "key" abilities (modified caster level, etc) it just wasn't random enough to slake our thirst for chaos in a good roleplay.

I homebrewed this years ago, and again when 3.5 was released. I'm still new to these boards (I don't know how to make all the tables and such appear in the forum post, or if a similar variant has already been posted), but I'd like to share this for you here.

http://files-upload.com/files/663681/WildMage.pdf

Thanks!
Yrnes

Charlie Kemek
2007-12-06, 06:30 PM
I can't read it, but go to the homebrewing guide sticky on the page, and it tells you how to make tables, and gives some free ones.

Somebloke
2007-12-06, 06:30 PM
Nothing quite like the Wild Mage to wipe out your own party for laughs.

For good or for ill, it looks to me to be the real deal- balanced, too. Personally I would have made it a variant sorcerer, but that's just my flavor.

Yrnes
2007-12-06, 06:37 PM
But the whole point of being able to cast a spell you don't have memorized (at a cost, mind you) makes spell preparation via wizard necessary.

And I appreciate the balancing thought- we've play tested this many times and I agree. One of our favorite things about it is whether or not the party is willing to risk a roll on a wild surge table so the wizard doesn't need to spend a day memorzing a spell that is needed urgently:smallsmile: