PDA

View Full Version : Unite, Cleanse, Liberate

Actana
2007-12-06, 06:22 PM
And uh... Destroy for the Seraphim? :smalltongue:

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, its Supreme Commander. As we don't have a thread for it yet, I guess I'd take initiative and make one. Hurray, we now have a SupCom thread!

So, I bought Forged Alliance a week back, and my gods, I love the game. Well, love it more. The original game rocked, and although my computer had some problems with staying on while running it, FA seemed to fix that. I'll maybe even try it in multiplayer someday soon. Although I'm pretty much a complete newbie in it still. I think I'll complete the campaign first though. Its only six missions, but heck, you can easily spend 3 hours on one mission. Then you go play it on a different faction. :smallwink:

Anyways, does anyone else play this awfully good game here? Favorite faction, units, tactics? Any fun memories with the game?

I, personally, like the Aeon the best, especially their characters in the campaign. I haven't really tried out the Seraphim in skirmish yet, so I can't say much about them yet. UEF come a good second. I never really liked the Cybran much, even though they are very nice too. Anime robot Galactic Colossus for the win!

MeklorIlavator
2007-12-06, 07:44 PM
I'm hoping for Forged Alliance around Christmas, but I have the original. Personally, I like the cybran, but I really haven't gotten locked into one race, as I usually cycle through them.

Maybe we can get some games going amongst the Forumers(ites?)

Actana
2007-12-06, 11:21 PM
Maybe we can get some games going amongst the Forumers(ites?)

That was my plan, but to get them going, it'd be nice to know who plays it. That said, does anyone get to play in a time (+2GMT, +7EST) I do? I'd love to try out multiplayer against someone who isn't such a pro. Unfortunately, from my experience the games are usually full off them, and SupCom seems even more full of them.

Dragor
2007-12-07, 06:17 AM
I play Supreme Commander. In fact, this is well timed, because I just got addicted to it again. However, my main account got corrupted and I can't use it, meaning all my progress as the Aeon vanished without a trace. Boo. Now I'm going through the UEF campaign- the third mission is damn annoying-

Y'know, the one where Col. Arnold dies.

Can anyone lend me some advice? I'm building massive fleets, and I've taken down 2 out of 3 of their Naval Factories, and taken out the artillery emplacements on the North island (alas I couldn't capture them).

Actana
2007-12-07, 07:45 AM
I play Supreme Commander. In fact, this is well timed, because I just got addicted to it again. However, my main account got corrupted and I can't use it, meaning all my progress as the Aeon vanished without a trace. Boo. Now I'm going through the UEF campaign- the third mission is damn annoying-

Y'know, the one where Col. Arnold dies.

Can anyone lend me some advice? I'm building massive fleets, and I've taken down 2 out of 3 of their Naval Factories, and taken out the artillery emplacements on the North island (alas I couldn't capture them).

I can't really remember what you get in the map, in fact, I can't remember anything of the map at all, but my advice for every game with the UEF: Mavor. That fails, then the next best thing: More factories and more fabricators.

Campaign games tend to be long, unless you just so happen to have a pair of Mavors ready to bombard the enemy commander. :smallbiggrin: So don't rush or anything. just upgrade your 10 naval factories (you do have that many don't you?) and build a heckload of destroyers. Air support is important too.

Gunships gunships gunships, that's all I can tell you aside that.

Dragor
2007-12-07, 10:16 AM
The most you have by this point are:

All tech 1 stuff.
Tech 2 Tanks, Missile Launchers, Shields and Anti-Air.
Tech 2 Cruisers and Destroyers.
Tech 2 Torpedo Bombers and Gunships.

If I keep on spamming my navy I'll get 'em eventually! :smalltongue:

RandomLogic
2007-12-07, 10:43 AM
I really liked Supreme Commander, but I haven't played it in a while. My favorite faction was Cybran.

Also, hoping to either receive Forged Alliance for xmas or pick it up myself.

Azuroth
2007-12-07, 10:48 AM
I played through the FA campaign with the Aeon, and once you get a Paragon built, the level is over. In case you are unaware, the Paragon is an experimental resource generator. Sure it goes all strategic explosion if it gets blown up, but it sets your resource income to X+20 mass, and X+1000 energy, where X is your current draw.

Unlimited resources??? Sign me up for four heavy artillery pieces, constantly bombarding the enemy (and once you get the Salvation you get rapid fire spread artillery) with the ability to instantly get LoS anywhere on the battlefield with the scrying tower. Not to mention forty or so engineers constantly churning out Galactic Colossi.... Yeah, Paragon FTW.

RandomLogic
2007-12-07, 11:48 AM
Thats pretty pimp. But there are very few times that I actually run out of production once I hit tech 3.

And that is usually when I have 20 tech 3 engineers plus SupCom building one experimental.

MeklorIlavator
2007-12-07, 03:49 PM

All tech 1 stuff.

Here's my method of assured victory. Build 75-150 of the best air-ground attack units(T1 bombers, Gunships, T3 bombers), and about 10 scouts.

Send in the scouts and find their commander. Attack. Sure it takes a long time, but I usually have several air factories building from the moment I get the necessary units, so by the time I'm ready to end everything, the attack force is pretty much done. This is less useful in later missions, and if you do this against later anti air, you should send fighters and if using T3 bombers, gunships, in right before them to draw the fire.

Hey, anyone ready for a game tonight? Pm me, or email me at this adress: [email protected]

Oh, and I only have the original, so no forged alliance, unless you can play backwards.

Artanis
2007-12-07, 03:57 PM

All tech 1 stuff.

Pretty much, yeah. Just keep building huge waves of troops/ships/whatever and hammering them...and hammering them...and hammering them. If you throw enough troops into the meat grinder enough times, they'll wear down eventually.

Edit: This is for singleplayer, of course. I've never played multiplayer against the computer, but I suspect that this wouldn't work so well against an enemy that actually expands and adapts their attacks, rather than sitting back to rebuild and sending waves of troops straight into the guns you've put specifically to stop their all-too-predictable offensives.

Dragor
2007-12-07, 04:03 PM
Well, I completed the mission after a Cruiser/Destroyer rush. Their commander stupidly came to the shore and got obliterated.

The mission after was exceptionally easy.

Now I'm on a mission where I have to defend the components of Black Sun. Eeep. This is gonna be tough.

MeklorIlavator
2007-12-07, 04:15 PM
Eh, I found that mission to be pretty easy. Watch out on the last one. Normally, you want to achieve objectives quickly so that the enemy can't really build up, but don't complete the first objective until you have build up a complete base.

Oh, and I'll be available of multi player games all night so just Pm me whenever you feel like it.

Oh, have any of you tried any of the custom rule maps? Zone defence is pretty fun. A nice change of pace.

Actana
2007-12-09, 03:47 AM
Hmm, this is weird. I logged on into GPGnet, and it claims that both SupCom and FA are corrupt and need to be reinstalled. I'm pretty sure that all I have done is installed the patches that GPGnet have given me. It took me a few hours to install all those patches, and now it wants me to do it again.

Can anyone explain what it is?

Murongo
2007-12-11, 07:10 PM
When I played Cybran weren't viable in PvP and the standard tactic was to build hundreds of tech 1 interceptors and try to make as many forward bases to encircle your enemy as possible, and most games didn't even get to tech 3 let alone experimental. Was pretty fun, though. I'm a UEF guy myself.