PDA

View Full Version : Has no one done 5e monster stats for HoMM creatures or is my google skill failing me?

Myth27
2023-07-06, 11:23 AM
Have you ever seen some one do monster stat blocks for the creatures of heroes of might and magic (video game saga)? Someone must have done them , I mean I’ve seen Pokémon turned dnd monster there must be homm crestures somewhere !

PhoenixPhyre
2023-07-06, 11:35 AM
Have you ever seen some one do monster stat blocks for the creatures of heroes of might and magic (video game saga)? Someone must have done them , I mean I’ve seen Pokémon turned dnd monster there must be homm crestures somewhere !

I'd say the vast majority are either existing monsters (since homm, like many other such things is heavily influenced by D&D) or are so fairly generic that it's not worth it.

Are there particular ones you're more interested in?

titi
2023-07-06, 02:49 PM
making an account just to answer :

Somebody on reddit did most of the factions (with synergies within factions !) a year ago.

can't put a link, so I recommend searching on reddit: their name was Arutha_Silverthorn

I tried to do it for fortress, but it's really not as good

Psyren
2023-07-06, 05:18 PM
I'd say the vast majority are either existing monsters (since homm, like many other such things is heavily influenced by D&D) or are so fairly generic that it's not worth it.

This; they're literally almost all D&D monsters or NPCs already.

You'll have to finagle some of them to get the power bands in line (e.g. Imps and Pixies are much stronger than Peasants and Skeletons, and good luck benchmarking the power of something like an Archmage or Vampire Lord against a Minotaur King or a Dendroid Soldier) but the creatures themselves exist.

No brains
2023-07-06, 08:03 PM
Are Heroes of Might and Magic and Might and Magic in the same world(s)? Because from what I know there are a few MM monsters that are original that I'm kind of curious about, like Agar's Abominations, those Anubis-headed guardians, and 'Cuisinarts'.

Psyren
2023-07-06, 09:08 PM
Are Heroes of Might and Magic and Might and Magic in the same world(s)? Because from what I know there are a few MM monsters that are original that I'm kind of curious about, like Agar's Abominations, those Anubis-headed guardians, and 'Cuisinarts'.

Yes and no. The first 5 HOMM games are set on a world called Enroth, but the Might and Magic RPGs that preceded them aren't set there until MM6 (I believe.)

titi
2023-07-06, 11:31 PM
Yes and no. The first 5 HOMM games are set on a world called Enroth, but the Might and Magic RPGs that preceded them aren't set there until MM6 (I believe.)

I think Enroth is destroyed between 3 and 4. I remember 4 starting with narration explaining you're refugees from Enroth in another world

Witty Username
2023-07-14, 09:54 AM

Yes and no, they are the same universe, but different worlds.

Enroth I believe is introduced in might and magic six.

4 and 5 were Xeen, as I recall. (You can tell the difference because Enroth is a sphere and Xeen is a disk)

1 through 3, I am not sure, I would have to ask my mom.

Heroes uses Enroth for 3, 1-2 are not strongly narrative in any direction.

They use the same rules because interstellar travel is a thing in that series.

I don't know of anything that couldn't just use existing stat blocks for Heroes. Except for maybe magic elemental.

JackPhoenix
2023-07-14, 11:10 AM
I think Enroth is destroyed between 3 and 4. I remember 4 starting with narration explaining you're refugees from Enroth in another world

Enroth is destroyed at the end of the Armageddon's Blade expansion for 3, with 4 following up on a different world. And then 5-7 are completely unrelated to the previous titles, as they were released under new publisher and developer(s) after NWC's bankruptcy. Though at least 6 refers previous titles in the series anniversary scenarios, and the new series uses some heroes (Sandro and Crag Hack) as a nod to older titles.

titi
2023-07-14, 12:17 PM
can't put a link, so I recommend searching on reddit: their name was Arutha_Silverthorn

I can put links now, so here's a link to Arutha_Silverthorn's list of HoMM monsters, with synergies within factions. There's some fun ideas in it :

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1SmQEoFN

Rukelnikov
2023-07-14, 10:47 PM
Weirdly enough I was thinking about this yesterday, didn't try to look for an existing version though.

Enroth is destroyed at the end of the Armageddon's Blade expansion for 3, with 4 following up on a different world. And then 5-7 are completely unrelated to the previous titles, as they were released under new publisher and developer(s) after NWC's bankruptcy. Though at least 6 refers previous titles in the series anniversary scenarios, and the new series uses some heroes (Sandro and Crag Hack) as a nod to older titles.

By new series you mean 5-7, or is there anything newer?

JackPhoenix
2023-07-15, 06:23 AM
By new series you mean 5-7, or is there anything newer?

7 is the latest (M&M got up to 10, IIRC), but for *various reasons* wasn't very popular, so the series was canned, this time probably for good, because Ubisoft is very unlikely to sell the brand to someone else to try to do better.

Rukelnikov
2023-07-15, 07:29 AM
7 is the latest (M&M got up to 10, IIRC), but for *various reasons* wasn't very popular, so the series was canned, this time probably for good, because Ubisoft is very unlikely to sell the brand to someone else to try to do better.

Yeah, I thought so.

I found 7 to be very average, it felt like playing watered down 5, and I didn't like 6 but at least it tried new stuff, 7 was just a step back.