PDA

View Full Version : Tamora Pierce

NotAboutBalance
2007-12-06, 07:02 PM
Here's a thread for my favourite author; Tamora Pierce! No boundaries or guidelines as long as you're talking about Tamora Pierce or her books!

Satyr
2007-12-06, 07:25 PM
I really liked her books when I was a kid. Tortall was for a long time one of my favorite fantasy settings. But, I think the two trilogies I've read are actually better suited to younger readers; when I reread them, I found them not as great as I remembered them. Bit that may be true for most of the great books of my childhood...

Prustan
2007-12-07, 04:48 AM
I still like her books. A couple years ago I found all of her books in the library, and spent a couple weeks reading them all. Then I bought her Terrier book (about Alanna's husband's ancestress) and quite enjoyed it. Then my sister read it, and I had to tell her which of Tamora's books go in which setting.

I wonder where her next book will be set...

Castaras
2007-12-07, 08:47 AM
I love Tamora's books.

Have loads of them...read loads as well...

Her Tortallean series are good. I also like her Winding Circle sets...Although the first quartet of the Winding Circle sets was the best.

Although I'd probably say the Trickster's Choice set and the Immortals set were the best...

But I also really like the Protector of the small set...AH! *runs around in circles*

MythAdvocate
2007-12-07, 11:11 AM
Personally I enjoy her handling of gods as in the Tricksters Choice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickster's_Choice) series. Power plays, backstabbing, and the shameless use of mortals. Even the "good" gods and goddesses disregard individuals.

Kyprioth was handled beautifully.

Kaelaroth
2007-12-07, 11:54 AM
I used to love all of her books. Nowadays, I find them all slightly too similar, they bleed into one another in my head. However, I will continue to buy them, if not only for Numair and Evvy. :smallsmile:

Revlid
2007-12-07, 01:02 PM
I loved the Tortall books, but all of the protagonists seem, on reflection, a little mary-suey, in that they hardly ever seem to do wrong.

Also, I raise an eyebrow at the fact that the gods, despite being irritating at best throughout most of the books, are treated as a moral be-all and end-all.

What I'd really like to see is a book where there's a necromancer, or something else disapproved of by the gods that isn't, in fact, a child molesting BBEG.