PDA

View Full Version : Some magic item creation questions

Benji8070
2023-07-07, 05:20 AM
I've got some characters who came into a ton of money and are trying to spend it by merging items into one.

Am I right in thinking that the table near the end of MIC only relates to the basic enhancements listed there? I.e. Strength, Saves, AC, etc. Based on this table, would a Belt of Giant Strength +4 and Health +4 cost 32,000 gp to buy?

Are there rules for combining items that aren't included in that table? E.g a ring of freedom of movement combined with a ring of protection +2? I remember seeing some rules at some point about things like that having a 10% extra cost but I can't find that rule for the life of me. Can anyone help me out?

Silva Stormrage
2023-07-07, 05:30 AM
Adding those base item abilities listed in the MIC doesn't cost anything extra so in your example a +4 belt of strength and +4 health would indeed be 32k. This applies even if the base item isn't one of those thus a ring of freedom and protection +2 costs 48k.

If you wanted to merge two items that aren't on the list. Say adding a ring of evasion to a ring of freedom of movement you would add 50% of the new enchantment to the cost. Thus such a ring would be 40k (Ring of Freedom of Movement) + (25k * 1.5) (Ring of evasion addition) for a total of 77.5k market price.

Benji8070
2023-07-07, 07:26 AM
Adding those base item abilities listed in the MIC doesn't cost anything extra so in your example a +4 belt of strength and +4 health would indeed be 32k. This applies even if the base item isn't one of those thus a ring of freedom and protection +2 costs 48k.

If you wanted to merge two items that aren't on the list. Say adding a ring of evasion to a ring of freedom of movement you would add 50% of the new enchantment to the cost. Thus such a ring would be 40k (Ring of Freedom of Movement) + (25k * 1.5) (Ring of evasion addition) for a total of 77.5k market price.

Thank you!

Biggus
2023-07-07, 08:01 AM

If the MIC rules are in play, you add half the cost of the cheaper item power when combining two items, regardless of which order they're added in (MIC p.233, updates the rule in DMG p.288 that the later ability added costs +50%).

All that Silva said is right apart from that.

Silva Stormrage
2023-07-07, 09:09 AM
If the MIC rules are in play, you add half the cost of the cheaper item power when combining two items, regardless of which order they're added in (MIC p.233, updates the rule in DMG p.288 that the later ability added costs +50%).

All that Silva said is right apart from that.

Ah good to know. Guess my group has been playing a bit incorrect then XD.