PDA

View Full Version : 5e Base Class: Mystic Warrior (a zipper of Monk and Barbarian)

BerzerkerUnit
2023-07-08, 01:05 AM
Alright, here's the Mystic Warrior (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lYj7qb1CVrCvZ6f3QI6kkY2_lNvhiVxt/view?usp=drive_link)

Submitted to the "who needs swords or sorcery (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?656697-(closed)-Who-Needs-Swords-or-Sorcery-(submission-thread)-5e-base-class-contest-25)" class contest (all are welcome to vote!). Any feedback is appreciated!
Hopefully I got enough chocolate in with the peanut butter.

Some short design notes:

Barb hit die. You fight without armor and your Unarmored defense is mediocre no matter how you cut it.

Martial Weapons are out. I recommend patching those in with subclasses which can largely be layered in directly from existing Barbarian or Monk. Want more spiritual powers, take a monk subclass, it gives you more to do with Spirit Points (ki), want more out of your Altered State (rage), take a Barb subclass. However this unequivocally makes "unarmored brawler" a front line warrior no matter which.

Speed bonuses are out because the Defense Stance makes Step of the Wind (now a dash and disengage in one) free.

Weapon Mastery is limited to Unarmed Strikes, but Offense and Defense Stances each grant access to 3 (so total of 6) (1 each time you assume the stance until level 11 when you can use all 3).

Your offensive power explodes at 2nd level in melee, for 2 rounds/SR. But, you're reduced to "Monk AC" for it and losing significant offense when/if you want to swap back and forth between stances. Defense Stance brings the Defense way up, but your offense is nerfed and you're choosing between mobility or high AC.

Bonus action economy is the major limiting factor on this fusion. you never have access to all the features, you are usually choosing which you want to use round to round or day to day, but how you build will likely tell you which subclasses you'll favor and which choices are the default.

Want to tank? Defense Stance, Sap Mastery.
Want to DPR? Offense Stance, Vex or Nick Mastery and attack attack attack.

Out of combat that bonus action competition is to force end your Altered State if you want "free" speed since changing the stance will eat the BA you'd use to keep the Altered State going, so maybe you just spend the Spirit Point. (dammit, forgot to add the bit about doubling jump distance to the Step of the Wind)...

So yeah. I'll be playtesting this in house. I'm sure I'll love it, I don't think it's too good compared to other UA5 and UA6 martials, but we'll see.