PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Skypledged Early Entry

danskjavel
2023-07-08, 01:07 PM
I am currently working on a Sha'ir build and this class looked like it could be of great help in the build, however the fact that it can't be taken before lvl 7 kinda screws with getting the abilities I want from this and other PrCs in time.

I am using the Unseelie Fey template for early flight and Raptoran to be, well, Raptoran. The big problem is being able to Summon Monster IV.

I have considered Necropolitan and Spell-stitched but I want the character to be good for roleplay as well as some feats and PrC. Is there another way to achieve early entry?

Also, as you probably can probably tell my table is not lactose intolerant but I also don't want to receive severe, DMG-induced head trauma.

Gruftzwerg
2023-07-08, 01:19 PM
I am currently working on a Sha'ir build and this class looked like it could be of great help in the build, however the fact that it can't be taken before lvl 7 kinda screws with getting the abilities I want from this and other PrCs in time.

I am using the Unseelie Fey template for early flight and Raptoran to be, well, Raptoran. The big problem is being able to Summon Monster IV.

I have considered Necropolitan and Spell-stitched but I want the character to be good for roleplay as well as some feats and PrC. Is there another way to achieve early entry?

Also, as you probably can probably tell my table is not lactose intolerant but I also don't want to receive severe, DMG-induced head trauma.

The sole option that would come to my mind would definitively accelerate the DMG towards your direction..^^

You could buy a wand and argue to qualify via magic item.. ^^

Zarvistic
2023-07-08, 02:14 PM
What do you think of this: cleric with the animal domain and the acf and feat Improved domain power from dragon 342 and the acf Domain focus from dragon 347. This could let you summon nature's ally IV at level 4.

Also the cleric had nice sub levels for the raptoran.

danskjavel
2023-07-08, 02:50 PM
What do you think of this: cleric with the animal domain and the acf and feat Improved domain power from dragon 342 and the acf Domain focus from dragon 347. This could let you summon nature's ally IV at level 4.

That seems like it would work, I will keep it in mind as a possible solution. It does have some problems partly in roleplay as I don't think raptorans are animal focused in their faith and partly mechanically with the lost caster level. Definitely something to keep in mind if a CL-loss free solution is not possible.

The sole option that would come to my mind would definitively accelerate the DMG towards your direction..^^

You could buy a wand and argue to qualify via magic item.. ^^

A wand does not count as casting it yourself. Though perhaps something like the Versatile Spellcaster feat, the Apprentice feat (for spontaneous casting) and the Dragonsblood Pool magic location with either having the appropriate spells identified or a Runestaff would qualify at level 1.

Zarvistic
2023-07-08, 02:54 PM
You want to stay shair, I missed that part. Yes it's not viable at all then unfortunately because it needs 4 cleric levels.. I was thinking to just be a cleric.

danskjavel
2023-07-08, 03:17 PM
You want to stay shair, I missed that part. Yes it's not viable at all then unfortunately because it needs 4 cleric levels.. I was thinking to just be a cleric.

Yeah, it would be great for a Cleric build but I want it for Sha'ir to have access to the entire Sorc/Wiz list, the PHB Cleric list, and the PHB Druid list. Seems like a good buffing complement to the inherent battlefield control and debuffing the Sorc/Wiz list offers. While I won't have the slots to do everything all the time, being a Sha'ir I will be able to change my mind about everything at any point during the day due to the Sha'ir shuffle.

Anthrowhale
2023-07-09, 10:23 AM
This seems like quite a nice trick: feat free early entry for Clerics to Paragnostic Apostle, Skypledged, Demonwrecker, and if you are fire-souled Hathran, Boge of Nomog-Geaya, or Bane of Infidels.

Paragon
2023-07-09, 11:55 PM

Well, this is specifically called an (Sp) ability so I doubt you can use it to qualify for a PrC.
It does say "when you cast" so it's definitely in "ask your DM" territory but not a slam dunk

loky1109
2023-07-10, 02:46 AM
Well, this is specifically called an (Sp) ability so I doubt you can use it to qualify for a PrC.
It does say "when you cast" so it's definitely in "ask your DM" territory but not a slam dunk
You clearly can. Look at Complete Arcane, p. 72.

Saintheart
2023-07-10, 03:29 AM
This seems like quite a nice trick: feat free early entry for Clerics to Paragnostic Apostle, Skypledged, Demonwrecker, and if you are fire-souled Hathran, Boge of Nomog-Geaya, or Bane of Infidels.

More cheese: clerics can now take Greenbound Summoning, since all that the feat requires is the ability to cast any Summon Nature's Ally spell. The Greenbound template changes the summoned creature's type to Plant, but this is compatible with the Celestial or Fiendish template that the Improved Domain Power supplies. Sure, there's an argument about which template comes first ...

Anthrowhale
2023-07-10, 05:09 AM

Fair point. It reads like an SLA that give you the ability to cast SNA as a spell, but it's also possible the writers just meant the SNA invocation itself to be a SLA.

Yeah, it definitely works when SNA <x> is the prereq.

More cheese: clerics can now take Greenbound Summoning, since all that the feat requires is the ability to cast any Summon Nature's Ally spell. The Greenbound template changes the summoned creature's type to Plant, but this is compatible with the Celestial or Fiendish template that the Improved Domain Power supplies. Sure, there's an argument about which template comes first ...

Also, spontanous summoner, ashbound summoning, and the various <x> initiate feats from Eberron.

One irony of early qualification is that SNA<x> at level <x> is pretty good. Potentially you could use Child of Winter to access a 40HD colossal monstrous scorpion at level 9, for example.

Paragon
2023-07-10, 11:53 AM

Good catch ! I keep forgetting about this rule when it's not for warlock qualifications