PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky, Skilly E6 TWF?

2023-07-09, 02:59 AM
Basically I want a TWF (slightly more wilderness-y than dungeon-y) rogue for an E6 game, but I'm also not entirely sure if literal rogue is the best way to go, since between the TWF penalty and the fact that rogues never reach iterative attacks in E6 I'm not actually getting a ton of offense, I think. Improved TWF seems like it opens up some good chances for triple sneak attacks, but in E6 that means you need all full-BAB classes.

So I'm looking at either

Taking a 1-3 levels in Ranger to get some of my skills in order, plus 3-5 in sneak attack Fighter to get the sneak attack without sacrificing BAB (it'd be nice if sneak attack Fighter and Thug could stack, but they both eat your first feat so I don't know that they do)
Just going full rogue (maybe a bit of ranger, it fits the character) to get the skillmonkeying and sneak attack I want but accepting that I'll only get two attacks per round
Creating yet another warblade with a bunch of TC maneuvers, maybe with a dip in one or more of the above classes for any of the obvious reasons. I'm kinda leaning against this option since I feel like warblade is my go-to for martials and I'd rather try something different
Perhaps something not listed here?

Any suggestions? Not a high-optimization game, but it'd at least be helpful to know what from here is particularly good or bad at its job.

H_H_F_F
2023-07-09, 03:21 AM
(it'd be nice if sneak attack Fighter and Thug could stack, but they both eat your first feat so I don't know that they do)

Strangely enough, they explicitly do - Unearthed Arcana says you can combine them. IIRC, that makes them the sole exception to "can't give up the same feature twice".

pabelfly
2023-07-09, 03:25 AM
Why not full Ranger? You get 6 + INT skill points per level and you get TWF and Improved TWF. And instead of Sneak Atrack, you can go STR-Based TWF.

Demidos
2023-07-09, 09:28 AM
The suggestions so far are probably the best way to do it, but if you wanted to go a bit more off the wall and try something new you could try a Totemist -- They dont get TWF and only 3/4 BAB, but they can be a moderately skilled-outdoorsy-multiattacking character, aka different hardware than what you asked for but the same kind of final output.

Gorthawar
2023-07-09, 02:21 PM
If you just want damage a sneak attack fighter 3 / Swashbuckler 3 with daring outlaw can have 4 attacks with ITWF and 4d6 sneak attack.

Inevitability
2023-07-09, 02:47 PM
If you just want damage a sneak attack fighter 3 / Swashbuckler 3 with daring outlaw can have 4 attacks with ITWF and 4d6 sneak attack.

If you go this way, see if your DM lets you get the Zhentarim Soldier substitution level as well. It fits the flavor of a Thug SA fighter quite well, and will give you Skill Focus Intimidate for free (plus another level of diplomacy as a class skill, if you want to invest in that). It does require you to put a cross-class rank in knowledge (religion), but your intelligence is unlikely to be awful so that might actually pan out.

Maat Mons
2023-07-09, 03:16 PM
Do you care about Trapfinding? If so, I'd go Trap Expert Ranger 1 / Sneak Attack Fighter 5. You could probably just as well add on Arcane Hunter for Ranger and Thug for Fighter. You might want to take the Able Learner feat. But then again, your feats will be pretty tight with Weapon Finesse, Two-Weapon Fighting, and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting.

Crake
2023-07-09, 06:39 PM
Do you care about Trapfinding? If so, I'd go Trap Expert Ranger 1 / Sneak Attack Fighter 5. You could probably just as well add on Arcane Hunter for Ranger and Thug for Fighter. You might want to take the Able Learner feat. But then again, your feats will be pretty tight with Weapon Finesse, Two-Weapon Fighting, and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting.

Feat tightness in e6 is pretty irrelevant, since, yknow, you get a bunch of feats post 6

Maat Mons
2023-07-09, 09:44 PM
It's irrelevant eventually. But taking Able Learner means postponing either Weapon Finesse or Two-Weapon Fighting until 3rd level. Since those feats are pretty core to the concept, that will be a hindrance for the first two levels. If the game that starts at 1st level, I'd consider that significant.

And speaking of feats, here are some to consider after level 6.

Martial Study (Cloak of Deception or Shadow Jaunt)
Martial Stance (Island of Blades)
Shadow Blade
Craven
Darkstalker
Improved Initiative
Telling Blow